PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So this is the year, October is just 2 months away, the big 50. I thought one (I’m hoping for multiple?) of the gifts to myself might be a special pipe. I have a modest collection of 30ish pipes. Some cobs, Nordings, Alpha’s, Pete’s, Moretti’s, and various English estates, etc... most expensive, still just under $200 (Peterson Silver Spigot XL 315 you guys and ladies helped with a birthday or so ago).

I would most likely not ever spend over $300 for a pipe. My style is either a bit flashy, unconventional, but still traditional shape. I also love history and tradition. Classics are classics for a reason. My top two thoughts are:

An estate Dunhill (1970 would probably be too good to be true) or similar nostalgic top end marquee, Foursquare super traditional. Part of me feels you’re just paying for the name, but that’s part of the allure I guess. It would have to be a gorgeous pipe and well made. A pinto with a Ferrari badge is still an old crappy car. Or as my dad would say “50% off of shit is still shit”​
Artisan commission. Someone who could help me choose their signature style with my preferences. Is this even possible in this price point? I’ve seen some really cool Dragon Briars, Josh Ronish, that I love. Great colors and textures, but many with traditional shapes.​
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.​

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I too would look for a quality estate pipe knowing your likely paying 100-150 (or more I guess) extra for name only. As long as you know it going in and don't rush it... ie.. don't tell yourself you have to have it by Oct. it should be a fun research and shopping time. Then you'll have something with meaning to you. It beats shopping for clothes. Someone on here might even remember and PM you over the next year re a nice 1970 they're willing to part with.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Doing more searching, Jesse Jones is amazing and right up my alley. I’m guessing though out of my price range

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure what I got for my 50. I think couple of bicycles. One cheap one to test, and one I built with choice components. I would say custom pipe with your input.
40th was my first Wilier. On my second one now. Next step up would be a Parlee or Open with SRAM Etap. But that’s not happening now. Sorry the rest of you, bike geek speak.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
40th was my first Wilier. On my second one now. Next step up would be a Parlee or Open with SRAM Etap. But that’s not happening now. Sorry the rest of you, bike geek speak.
Wilier is a wonderful bike. Been riding fixed gear. Just got CAAD13 with lighter wheelset and bar to fit me. First road bike since I trashed my Fuji back in 82.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Years ago I became enamored of a birth year pipe (1955) so I started looking on eBAy. In the early days they were not as many pipes on eBAy as now (these days anyone with a deceased father/uncle sells the pipes on eBay) so it took me about a year to find a good one. Eventually as the market opened up I had 20-25 1955 pipes, now I'm selling most and keeping a few.

You can always order a custom pipe and if that's what you'd rather then have at it. My advice though would be to search out a good 1970 Dunhill that you like and go for it. It may take you a while but isn't the chase most of the fun?

In case you don't know, you are looking for a Dunhill without a patent date, and after the "D" in the word ENGLAND there will be a "0" the same size as the "D". That will be a 1970. If the "0" is raised and smaller than the "D" then it's a 1960.

You will have to study pictures on eBay, a lot of sellers don't know about date codes and will guess. Blow the pictures up, ask for better ones if you need to. When you find a 1970 then look to see if the rest of the pipe is good. Figure in the cost of a good cleaning if you don't do it yourself.

I think in the end, after the thrill of the chase, you be more pleased than ordering a custom pipe.

Reactions: PipesRock and jguss

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To throw some suggestions out there, look at estate Ashtons and Ferndown (Les Wood), both of which owners originated at Dunhill without their charging excessively premium prices. You get the best of Dunhill skill without paying extra for the honor.

You could get a similar quality pipe as a new original artisan pipe from one of the less big name but equally good carvers. Just take recommendations from members and shop around for something that speaks to you. A commission is great, but if you see one on offer, it would be quicker, and you would see exactly what you are getting.

I wouldn't go extreme -- no extra large or small pipes just to afford a particular brand. Get a medium size you would use regularly. All my two cents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So this is the year, October is just 2 months away, the big 50. I thought one (I’m hoping for multiple?) of the gifts to myself might be a special pipe. I have a modest collection of 30ish pipes. Some cobs, Nordings, Alpha’s, Pete’s, Moretti’s, and various English estates, etc... most expensive, still just under $200 (Peterson Silver Spigot XL 315 you guys and ladies helped with a birthday or so ago).

I would most likely not ever spend over $300 for a pipe. My style is either a bit flashy, unconventional, but still traditional shape. I also love history and tradition. Classics are classics for a reason. My top two thoughts are:

An estate Dunhill (1970 would probably be too good to be true) or similar nostalgic top end marquee, Foursquare super traditional. Part of me feels you’re just paying for the name, but that’s part of the allure I guess. It would have to be a gorgeous pipe and well made. A pinto with a Ferrari badge is still an old crappy car. Or as my dad would say “50% off of shit is still shit”​
Artisan commission. Someone who could help me choose their signature style with my preferences. Is this even possible in this price point? I’ve seen some really cool Dragon Briars, Josh Ronish, that I love. Great colors and textures, but many with traditional shapes.​
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.​
I know a guy. PM sent, tell him Embers sent you.?

775eTPb-1.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
To throw some suggestions out there, look at estate Ashtons and Ferndown (Les Wood), both of which owners originated at Dunhill without their charging excessively premium prices. You get the best of Dunhill skill without paying extra for the honor.

You could get a similar quality pipe as a new original artisan pipe from one of the less big name but equally good carvers. Just take recommendations from members and shop around for something that speaks to you. A commission is great, but if you see one on offer, it would be quicker, and you would see exactly what you are getting.

I wouldn't go extreme -- no extra large or small pipes just to afford a particular brand. Get a medium size you would use regularly. All my two cents.
I like some Ashtons and Ferndowns for the traditional side of things. You are spot on. Thanks.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Another option that would cost less but equally as frustrating to find the year on something like an eBay listing would be a silver mounted Peterson.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Years ago I became enamored of a birth year pipe (1955) so I started looking on eBAy. In the early days they were not as many pipes on eBAy as now (these days anyone with a deceased father/uncle sells the pipes on eBay) so it took me about a year to find a good one. Eventually as the market opened up I had 20-25 1955 pipes, now I'm selling most and keeping a few.

You can always order a custom pipe and if that's what you'd rather then have at it. My advice though would be to search out a good 1970 Dunhill that you like and go for it. It may take you a while but isn't the chase most of the fun?

In case you don't know, you are looking for a Dunhill without a patent date, and after the "D" in the word ENGLAND there will be a "0" the same size as the "D". That will be a 1970. If the "0" is raised and smaller than the "D" then it's a 1960.

You will have to study pictures on eBay, a lot of sellers don't know about date codes and will guess. Blow the pictures up, ask for better ones if you need to. When you find a 1970 then look to see if the rest of the pipe is good. Figure in the cost of a good cleaning if you don't do it yourself.

I think in the end, after the thrill of the chase, you be more pleased than ordering a custom pipe.
Thanks for the info. I would not have known that without some research. Also, not sure are 70’s dunhills good? Or, as BROB’S suggests past their glory years.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.