PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I moved into a much smaller house, I stopped smoking indoors, both to spare my gal, my dog and myself recycled smoke and to preserve value in my dwelling.

Any new thoughts? Get 'em in now!

Reactions: OldVark

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Here, it is against the law to text and drive, tailgate, and my city passed an ordinance that every household was required to own an assault weapon. I was told at the city council meeting that half the damn laws in our country are totally unenforceable but on the books to merely make a point. In my state, no one has even been given a ticket for texting and driving, nor any of the stuff they pass. Hell, in Alabama, you can literally drive over 100MPH on the interstate 24/7. And, if you don't drive that fast, you'll end up on the side of the road, because everyone else is.
I don't even give a shit about laws any more.

Sounds like my kind of place!

As for indoor smoking. I smoke at home, and am still deeply angry about the smoking ban on pubs etc. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I'd have more sympathy with the 'be a gentleman' line, but it's become such a difficult and enpleasent experience to be a smoker anywhere apart from home (even at home for many), that I couldn't give a damn.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Tobacco is a sacred and medicinal plant. Smoking a cigar or untopped pipe tobacco isn’t nearly the same thing as smoking a western cigarette. I’ve spent a good deal of time in Southeast Asia, and I can report that cigarettes there are not nearly as adulterated as those in America. One can find many studies showing pipe smokers often outlive non-smokers…

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Tobacco is a sacred and medicinal plant. Smoking a cigar or untopped pipe tobacco isn’t nearly the same thing as smoking a western cigarette. I’ve spent a good deal of time in Southeast Asia, and I can report that cigarettes there are not nearly as adulterated as those in America. One can find many studies showing pipe smokers often outlive non-smokers…
One can find outdated studies, and I really don't believe that cigarettes are more or less "adulterated" in different parts of the world. There are some additives, like cocoa, but not more than every other pipe tobacco. This is so silly. You can't seriously believe that smoking will cause you to live for longer? That's called living in denial.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
My pop smoked a pipe everywhere he could..... including restaurants..... he would often joke that the way to get the food out was for him to light his pipe....

I was 17 before I lived in a place without the pipe smoke smell (basic training), but he finally quit when his oncologist scared him bad enough.... he made it to 76, and did not die of anything related to smoking, I think he quit at about 73-74 years old....

I miss the smell of a pipe smoking house, but my wife and kids won't send for it, and I'm ok with that....

I cannot however -stand- the smell of cigarettes (or my clothes after a bar, or cigar night). Cigarettes stink with the fury of a thousand suns to me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
One can find outdated studies, and I really don't believe that cigarettes are more or less "adulterated" in different parts of the world. There are some additives, like cocoa, but not more than every other pipe tobacco. This is so silly. You can't seriously believe that smoking will cause you to live for longer? That's called living in denial.
Unfortunately, discussions such as these get locked very quickly. Unless a moderator encourages me to a rebuttal , I must simply suggest we each do our own research.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I smoke indoors in my home office. It's on the second floor of the house, and I have air filtration which does 4.5 air changes per hour. In the summer I can open windows at each end of the house to allow fresh to pass through. There is very little residual smell in any season. My wife doesn't seem to notice any smell, and believe me, she'd say something if she did. When I sit outside to smoke a cigar, she tells me to go change my clothes when I come in the house.

In the summer I prefer to sit outdoors...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Interestingly If I have smoked numerous cigarettes or one cigar inside in my two piece flat ,the residual smell is more or less noticeable whereas after smoking pipe tobacco(excluding D Fired or Latakia blends)I don't notice any
+ I use to keep windows a little open to allow fresh air to pass trough living areas,I remember,back in the days folks who did smoke ,smoked almost everywhere including even their bedrooms and office areas