PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
The recent C&D post about "Folklore" kind of had me thinking about these limited edition blends in general, not just from C&D, but from other companies like Kohlhase and Kopp who put out limited edition Winter Blends each year. What happens if you absolutely fall in love with the blend? I love Red Rapparee, and although it's not always available, I know I can get it with enough patience from several places. Solani Aged Burley Flake is another of my favorites, and that has been harder to come by, but if I look around I can dig it up if I want to online. So, I guess what I'm saying is, what is the point of trying these limited edition blends? If I try them and love them, then I am kind of setting myself up for problems later lol. Or maybe I am thinking too glass half empty?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I approach it like rare Vintage Port, or Madeira, or Whiskies, or a fine, aged cigar. Will I have another 1907 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Vintage Madeira without spending double if I can even find it again? Probably not. But, I feel grateful that I was able to experience it in the first place. Just because I can't get more doesn't mean I don't want to try it and enjoy the experience. I have a Trinidad Cuban Cigar from 1998, from its first public release that I'm going to smoke next week; I'll probably never come across another, but, I'm going to smoke it and savour the experience. It was gifted by a friend twenty four years ago. As the old adage goes, "Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I approach it like rare Vintage Port, or Madeira, or Whiskies, or a fine, aged cigar. Will I have another 1907 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Vintage Madeira without spending double if I can even find it again? Probably not. But, I feel grateful that I was able to experience it in the first place. Just because I can't get more doesn't mean I don't want to try it and enjoy the experience. I have a Trinidad Cuban Cigar from 1998, from its first public release that I'm going to smoke next week; I'll probably never come across another, but, I'm going to smoke it and savour the experience. It was gifted by a friend twenty four years ago. As the old adage goes, "Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."
Well said!

I think that these are more for the connoisseur smoker. They aren't meant to be an everyday blend, IMO. It would be like drinking only vintage wines... if you don't ever drink a table wine, then what's the point? Like, if you only ever smoke aged tobaccos, then you're never giving yourself a chance to have something to reflect the taste against. Your taste buds become spoiled.

I'm really surprised that these small batches or ltd releases don't charge more.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If the blend was “all that” it would be put into regular rotation. Microeconomics demand that a certain basket be perceived to have more value than other competitive baskets in order for the maker to demand a better price. By creating a blend with a bit of a twist and then marketing it as unique and desirable, the buyers already have emotionally and financially committed to the percent that the blend has enhanced value.

One Question Remains: If the blend were to always be available, would it be pursued enough to justify making it in large quantities?

Would rum soaked Perique really have a strong enough following to make it in very large batches?

I have Dunbar. It is okay. I would not have purchased it had it not been difficult to obtain. I have better blends that I prefer.

Marketing. You gotta love it.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
It’s definitely a market sale, which all companies do, holiday or specialty pipes, breweries and their special flavor releases. I know some of these things they do put a little more effort into. When founders released their KBS beer once a year, it was stupid how crazy people got over it but, because the overwhelming craze, people stopped carrying and now you can buy it whenever. Sometimes companies can shoot themselves in the foot with this approach. I didn’t buy the folklore because I wasn’t going to pay $50 for a blend I never had. I did purchase the crumble kake #3 because the price was right and it was from bourbon barrel, sales pitch that worked on me.

One Question Remains: If the blend were to always be available, would it be pursued enough to justify making it in large quantities?
Not necessarily. Limited quantities in and of itself would be enough to justify a higher value. For example if a specialty crop were to be grown specifically for a ltd release, let's say Japan8, which is not normally grown commercially, but has a unique natural licorice taste. One crop, 2000 lbs blended into 5000 lbs for release. Even if it did draw quite a following, the ltd quantity would prohibit it from becoming a standard, thus the price and value is much higher. Even if it draws a huge crowd, quantity is set, and prices rise.

Many of C&Ds small batches (not all) are made with small scores they get of rare or just unique leaf. Although, at first we heard that the Katerini was very rare, but lately they seem to be pulling it out of a hat like a backstreet magician.

Would rum soaked Perique really have a strong enough following to make it in very large batches?
Nope (period)

I have Dunbar. It is okay. I would not have purchased it had it not been difficult to obtain. I have better blends that I prefer.
All of the Esoterica and Germain VaPers are lackluster to my tastes.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
It’s definitely a market sale, which all companies do, holiday or specialty pipes, breweries and their special flavor releases. I know some of these things they do put a little more effort into. When founders released their KBS beer once a year, it was stupid how crazy people got over it but, because the overwhelming craze, people stopped carrying and now you can buy it whenever. Sometimes companies can shoot themselves in the foot with this approach. I didn’t buy the folklore because I wasn’t going to pay $50 for a blend I never had. I did purchase the crumble kake #3 because the price was right and it was from bourbon barrel, sales pitch that worked on me.
How was the number 3? I almost got that myself

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I don't fully agree with the contrived marketing argument. While there may be some element of truth to that, in many cases the limited editions are made with certain well aged, or very limited tobacco components that will only make a certain number of tins. It's not practical or reasonable to suggest they could continue making the same blend with those same ingredients.