PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Hello all, as I am still new to pipe smoking, I’m looking to get my second pipe. My first pipe is a MM gentleman straight pipe. I’m fan of Tolkien and saw that MM has a set of cobs called the Cobbit collection. Just wondering if a Churchwarden pipe would be a good second pipe or you guys have a better idea. My budget for a new pipe is 50$ and all of the collection is under that per pipe. Thanks in advance.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If you like your first cob a cobbit churchwarden would be fine. Long stems don't provide as cool of as of a smoke as some people suspect.

MM pipes are really good smokers so you can't go wrong there. For around $50 you might want to look at Rossi. I've got one and it is fine.
Yeah I’d say Rossi or Ropp if you’re wanting to try a briar.

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
There's a medico churchwarden on Ebay for $50 right now. I was watching it and got an offer to buy it for 40, so it should be within your budget if you want to try a briar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medy

Haggard

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
If you have the finances ($50 stated budget aside), go for something special.

Since you like the idea of a churchwarden, Scottie Piersel makes some incredible pipes.

If you think of it as investing in a functional work of art, then it might be up your alley.

Country Squire has some on sale now. Tough price to beat. Probably won't disappoint.

If $50 is a hard line, then above recommendations are pretty good.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Cobs are great and I love them, in fact my most smoked pipe is probably a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, but they don't last forever and for around $50 you can get yourself a really nice smoking briar pipe that will probably outlive you.

My two suggestions for about $50 would be any pipe from Rossi that strikes your fancy or a Morgan Bones. Rossi pipes are Savinelli seconds, meaning that they're just Savinelli pipes that had some cosmetic imperfections so they got sandblasted down and coated with a rugged black finish. They're still made from the same quality briar as the $100+ Savinellis though and smoke every bit as well!

Morgan Bones pipes are made from quality Italian briar that ended up being seconds as well due to cosmetic imperfections, but left in their natural state with no finish or coating applied. They're excellent smokers though and the wood darkens in a very attractive way over time as you smoke them.

Here's my Rossi Piccolo and Morgan Bones Milan for reference:

IMG20240409031527~3.jpg

IMG20240310153737~2.jpg

They're both wonderful little pipes and smoke every bit as well as my Savinelli and Peterson pipes that cost twice as much. They may not be the prettiest pipes in the world, but they are fantastic smokers!puffy

Last edited:

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I really like the Morgan bones pipes. They are definitely in my budget and look good too. If I go with an estate sale or eBay is there anything I need to stay away from or need to look for so I don’t get a bad pipe?

Reactions: anotherbob

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have a couple of cobs in small & standard size, and I've got a Wizard Cobbit. As good as cobs are, I'd not recommend a churchwarden at this time if it were me, for personal & practical reasons. As fun as long stems are, they're not too practical for much of any activity other than sitting.

Being that it's your 2nd pipe, (and since I'm mostly on the move when I partake) I'd go with a classical sized briar simply for the greater flexibility in utilization. Otherwise, if you're on the go like me, you'll still feel like you've only got 1 pipe much of the time.

But if you're a couch potato, get a churchwarden. :col:
And keep in mind that the Wizard is a much larger sized bowl, and you'll need "special" (long) pipe cleaners...

Reactions: PaulRVA and Medy

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Trust your gut - go with the cobjitt! They smoke very nicely and ARE a bit cooler than shorter pipes.
Also, they have a bit thicker walls and do not seem to heat up much.
Cobbits are a good starting pipe that you will likely use as a go-to for years.
Best of all, they look good, smoke good and are very economical!
Good luck and happy piping!
Oh and look at estate pipes to get a nice pipe and save a lot of $$$.
There are several good pipes at less than half price listed in the classifieds here right now.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I really like the Morgan bones pipes. They are definitely in my budget and look good too. If I go with an estate sale or eBay is there anything I need to stay away from or need to look for so I don’t get a bad pipe?
Buy from a known source. Stay away from eBay - I've got some that were horribly misrepresented.
SP here has estates that are little more $$$, but you know exactly what you are getting and they back their pipes fully. I've bought from them for years and have always been pleased with my purchases.
Another source is Marty Pulver - good guy.

Skink

Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
+1 for the Morgan Bones. I've also bought a few great estate pipes off of eBay, I make sure that a majority of what the seller is offering is estate pipes and that the seller has a good rating and reviews. YMMV

Last edited: