PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
lol so I just ordered the my new pipe this morning. I got the Morgan Bones Hi Cap with two stickers and it only cost 51.50$ so just went over my budget by 1.50$. I don’t think I did to bad at all.
Congratulations on your new pipe.
Looking forward to your review
Interested in your comparison with your cob.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I like longer pipes, it gets the bowl away from my face and I'm less likely to set my beard on fire. My first pipe was a wizard sized churchwarden. Had to enlist passersby to light it for me due to my T-Rex length arms. 😁

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Medy

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Hello all, as I am still new to pipe smoking, I’m looking to get my second pipe. My first pipe is a MM gentleman straight pipe. I’m fan of Tolkien and saw that MM has a set of cobs called the Cobbit collection. Just wondering if a Churchwarden pipe would be a good second pipe or you guys have a better idea. My budget for a new pipe is 50$ and all of the collection is under that per pipe. Thanks in advance.
This might float your boat ... a MM Mark Twain, because they tend to have ticker walls. Get the "bent" version and combine it with a vulcanite Churchwarden Forever Stem.

IMO it's going to be difficult to find a quality pipe for under $50 outside of MM cobs. Secondhand estate pipes notwithstanding.

IMG_0150.jpg

Reactions: Medy

Grumio

Lurker
Apr 15, 2024
Fort Worth, TX
I actually have a Shire Cobbit, and love it. I have it dedicated for citrus/peach aromatics (which I really hardly hardly ever smoke), so it doesn't get much use, but when I use it, it's great.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
If you have the finances ($50 stated budget aside), go for something special.

Since you like the idea of a churchwarden, Scottie Piersel makes some incredible pipes.

If you think of it as investing in a functional work of art, then it might be up your alley.

Country Squire has some on sale now. Tough price to beat. Probably won't disappoint.

If $50 is a hard line, then above recommendations are pretty good.
We went from a sub $50 cob to an artisan briar that costs 10x+. 😂
That escalated quickly

Apr 18, 2024
Minneapolis Minnesota
I don't think anyone mentioned Brigham either, that was my first briar and it was about 50 and very nice, I still haven't paid more than that for any pipe until I just ordered a Morgan Bones which was ~$50 but I haven't smoked or held it yet so I can't vouch for it other than they get good reviews.

What I did after the Brigham was go on etsy and ebay and search "Unsmoked vintage pipe" or similar search terms and my price range.
If I see something that looks good I check the internet for info and reviews of that company or model pipe and I have found 3 great unsmoked vintage pipes for $25 + shipping.

Here they are, an unknown French briar pipe, an Old Vic and a Ropp. Again, I have not spent more than $50 on a pipe so I might not realize what I'm missing. These all cost $25 + shipping.

Attachments

• 3pipes425.jpg
    3pipes425.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 4

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Yeah I’m definitely gonna get a couple more , now that I know what I’m getting for the price
Check out the Rossi pipes also. Some of them are only about $20 more and they smoke great! They are basically flawed Santelli's, made by Santelli but I cannot even identify the flaw in the one I bought. It's really a nice pipe!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
That Bones really looks nice for the money, and a nice wide chamber too, to allow blends to breathe.

Regardless of your budget, you made a great choice, great looking pipe, but starting out, there’s no point in spending big bucks on a pipe, because you have nothing to gauge it against.

Price doesn’t always equate to a good/better smoker. Now you have something to work your way up, if you plan to buy more expensive pipes in the future.

Enjoy! ❤️

• Love

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
That Bones really looks nice for the money, and a nice wide chamber too, to allow blends to breathe.

Regardless of your budget, you made a great choice, great looking pipe, but starting out, there’s no point in spending big bucks on a pipe, because you have nothing to gauge it against.

Price doesn’t always equate to a good/better smoker. Now you have something to work your way up, if you plan to buy more expensive pipes in the future.

Enjoy! ❤️
For now I will probably stick with Bones and MM pipes. Like you said price doesn’t always matter. As of now those two companies fit the bill for me. Why spend more on a pipe that’ll probably smoke the same.

Reactions: PipeIT