PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
An aspiring or even veteran pipe smoker could make a lot of enjoyable smoke with a couple of cobs or Dr Grabows and a 12 oz bag of Smokers Pride or equivalent.
Agreed. I get a great deal of pleasure from smoking a corncob filled with Match Victorian. Neither are expensive. I suppose it comes down to what makes one happy.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
As far as attracting young people and growing the hobby, I just don't think it's going to happen. When I first got into cigars and pipes, it was the mid 90's. There were several tobacconists in my area (Omaha NE). Now there are two.

One is in a touristy part of the city and caters to tourists wanting cigars, and the other is cigars and pipes with a nice selection of tobacco. However, I don't know how the latter hangs on to be honest. I think his cigar sales are what keeps him afloat. My point is that I've seen a steep decline in my area with pipe smoking.

Having said that, you can't throw a rock here without hitting a vape shop. I mean they are everywhere here and seems like more are popping up. The young people that I do know vape and have zero interest in any other tobacco products. Not sure if that's a wider trend, but it sure seems to be the case here.

I should clarify that I've never tried to convince someone to take up pipe smoking or use tobacco products, nor would I. I've had people ask me about my pipes and pipe smoking and I'm happy to answer questions. I think people see me as a bit of an oddity with my pipe.

Last edited:

Milverton1868

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2023
Northeastern Pennsylvania
I wouldn't encourage anyone to pick up a tobacco habit. However, if they have already decided to smoke a pipe and come to me with questions I would answer them. A person could enjoy the hobby with a corn cob and Captain Black. No need to buy rare Dunhills.

When I started in the early 1980's there were a lot of pipe smokers and tobacco shops around then as just about every mall had a shop. There were also a lot of old movies on then that featured pipe smokers as we had limited channels.

I took it up because I was around pipe smokers and wanted to try it. You just don't have the pipe presence around anymore.

Apr 16, 2023
I actually fell in love with craftsmanship of pipes before ever smoking them in my early thirties. I love restoration and taking a 80 year dingy/disgusting pipe and returning it to its former glory has brought me some therapy haha. The stories I wish that dingy dirty pipe could tell and what world event it has lived through it just mind blowing. I love selling a pipe to its new owner and excited to see where the pipes from the 1950's will be in 2050ish.

That being said started smoking one of the Ben Wades I fell in love with and now have a small collection of them!
I will say smoking cigars for me always left a bad taste and smell on my hands. After investing in a good pipe around 50-100 dollars its alot cheaper than cigars!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I won't recommend pipe smoking to anyone if they can't seriously convince me they are interested in it. We have a ridiculous learning curve to go through and you must take time to enjoy a pipe. Young people rarely are willing to do the first and equally unwilling to do the latter. If they want to partake in the tobacco hobby, I steer them toward cigars. Virtually no learning curve and the person can enjoy a cigar while engaging in activities.

Now for those very few who are interested I will help them. They show their interest by coming into a B&M or attending a pipe club meeting or something that kind. I will begin teaching them what I know but you have to understand that it takes about a year to develop a person into a pipe smoker so expect a lot of recidivism. That can be discouraging to the teacher and the student.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Hell, what are some of you? The PIPE POLICE:

Pipe smoking is for anyone who wants to smoke a pipe. I don't care if the person never used tobacco or not. I am not an agent of Big Brother nor is it my mission to "Karen" anyone into doing what I think is right.

When a young person shows interests in smoking a pipe, and that person doesn't currently smoke, I definitely don't dissuade them or warn them about any health issues.

Why should I? There are Plenty of other people around to do that.

I ride a motorcycle. I have for years. The dangers associated with pipe smoking seem tame compared to what I face every time I ride AND unlike pipe smoking, it seems like EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHER want to lecture me on the dangers of motorcycle riding.

To anyone who has a problem with my attitude, I say, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Only half kidding, LOL

Last edited:
and have been wondering how to attract younger people to it.
Ha ha, that sets off every one of my morality red flags. And, I am sure that the Surgeon's General will be sending out black helicopters to your house, ASAP.

For God's sake, lets not discuss bringing young people into the hobby of smoking. This sort of shit is why flavored tobacco gets banned, and it discounts pipe smoker's arguments that we are not interested in appealing to kids.

When you hit 50, everyone should get a set of black socks, sandals, and a pipe kit.

Younger people just look stupid with pipes. Maybe not... but that is at least going to be my argument "out loud" where people can hear me.

Jeesh people. Talk like all of this is what will kill the hobby as a whole.

white van.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Ha ha, that sets off every one of my morality red flags. And, I am sure that the Surgeon's General will be sending out black helicopters to your house, ASAP.

For God's sake, lets not discuss bringing young people into the hobby of smoking. This sort of shit is why flavored tobacco gets banned, and it discounts pipe smoker's arguments that we are not interested in appealing to kids.

When you hit 50, everyone should get a set of black socks, sandals, and a pipe kit.

Younger people just look stupid with pipes. Maybe not... but that is at least going to be my argument "out loud" where people can hear me.

Jeesh people. Talk like all of this is what will kill the hobby as a whole.

View attachment 239332
You are probably right about your assumption, and I agree a full on advertising campaign marketed to young people would get BB's attention. But when a young person or anyone for that matter asks me about taking up pipe smoking, I am happy to help, no questions asked. I don't think that is what you are referring to.

I walk two miles a day on a heavily traveled road and people see me smoking my pipe. Each and every day, some times twice. I believe visibility is the best advertisement. Stay safe - it's hot out there.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
for what it's worth, two of the pipe smokers i regularly smoke with are younger than me by a decade or more and are in their 20's - I am in my late 30's and know plenty of people my age who smoke pipes ...pipe smoking isn't catching on like social media... but, I don't think it's totally as dead as some presume.

i think the decline of smoking in public makes the already rare pipe smoker and even more rare specimen.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I'm of that same mind that if they're interested, even if they don't currently use tobacco, then it's their body and their choice, help them to it.

My whole thing was they have to be interested and initiate. But I was pointing more towards the OP's "how do you get them into it", which to me implies actively promoting and/or proselytizing and conjures up images of a door-to-door salesman trying to convince you to buy a product when you didn't specifically request their presence.

That's why I geared my answer a little bit towards bringing it up to people who already use other tobacco products (the part about actively trying to get people into it). I tried to emphasize not doing the active recruitment though and more of the "promote it if they come to you" approach.

But really, that goes for anything for me. Like, stuff you're into needs ambassadors, not salesmen. Whether it's pipes, or a particular kind of music or band, or vacuum cleaners, religion, politics, whatever.

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Getting young guys into pipes?

Couldn't be easier.

(You guys crack me up)

You build a trapdoor in the sidewalk in front of your house that works like a waterslide chute into your basement, which is all gated and barred like a dungeon.

Then you zap them through the bars with a long pole stun gun until they agree to be lifelong pipe enthusiasts. Buy nice tobacco, join forums like this one, and so forth. Then you let 'em go. (with a reminder that your trapdoor wasn't the only one... that the codgers of the world have hidden them everywhere, so they better not go back on their word.)

Hell, it's easier than ever to catch 'em, too, cuz these days they all walk while holding a rectangular widget in front of their face and are oblivious to what's in front of 'em. (No idea what that's all about... sometimes thery even talk to it)

What in hell are you guys smoking????? Pipe smoking is infinitely cheaper than cigarettes and cigars! A decent pipe will cost you less than 1 or 2 cartons of cigarettes and last for thousand of smokes if properly maintained A pound of Old Joe Krantz is less than a carton too and lasts me 6 months!
It’s the cheapest way to smoke tobacco. Period. Puffy

It seems to me most of the newbs are the ones going after the Unicorns and they get egged on by the few (VERY few) that can actually appreciate them (and can afford them) but the true pipe smokers find a few blends they love and just mainly smoke those. Maybe I am lucky that my 3 go-to blends happen to be bulk buyable from Cornell and Diehl. What can I say? I’m a burley guy and proud of it!

As for encouraging others to take up the habit? HALE NO! I have and will continue to encourage those that smoke coffin nails to give a pipe a try and encourage them to try and smoke a pipe without inhaling. Smoking a pipe is like getting baked on nicotine. It gets you there, it’s just slower but lasts longer.

There are tons of blends out there that are excellent at reasonable prices. Example: It’s no secret that I love Stonehaven and have a lifetime supply of it. Most of it I overpaid. TO ME, Peterson University Flake scratches that itch and is much cheaper. There’s more apricot and less brown sugar taste but it gets me there. Individually, most of us that have been smoking a while have found those “itch scratchers” that won’t break the bank.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
To answer your question, just be seen in public.

My approach to tobacco and motorcycles is to put on my old man curmudgeon hat and lecture them on all the evils of the hobby and encourage them to not do it unless they really love it.

If they decide to proceed, I try to council / mentor them to the best of my ability. In motorcycles, I insist that they take a course at Harley-Davidson before considering riding on the street and wear safety gear for the first couple of years at least. With pipes I advise them to buy a mid-level pipe and an easy tobacco to try. I offer to buy the pipe from them at their cost any time they wish to give them an easy out.

While we like to share our passions, I don't want to ever be responsible for a person getting injured or losing their life. If they are going to start, I try to give them the best start possible.

-Doc

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Obviously none of you geezers understand that young people these days cannot be influenced by any type of real world contact.

If you want to get them into pipe smoking you have to become something known in their world as a "Social Media Influencer". Not only will you draw hordes of these creatures into pipe smoking, but you can become filthy rich in the process!

If I ever learn to use a computer I might try it myself. In the meantime, here is an excellent essay by Donald Jeffries that will bring all of you old farts up to speed on the bleak reality of society today:

Are You Smarter Than a "Social Media Influencer?"