PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I refuse to toss pearls before swine.

Their fishtails are more like modified tongue depressors.
certainly some of the deluxe plips can also feel like that,sort of wide and flat shaped opposed to the rounded shape on the standard system pipes.
However 7 out of my 10 Peterson pipes are plips ,so I like them

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
There are many types of P-Lips, thick, thin, wide, narrow and mediumish, I like them all but also like Fishtails, I collect Petersons with P-Lips or Fishtails, I also collect Freehands, mainly Danish, love them all.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its definitely a personal thing and a lot of people dont like them. That is clearly why they make both styles. They know too.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Why would you own one then? Just curious.
Well, it's not like I keep buying them expecting to like them. I only own two. One is on the first Peterson I ever bought. The pipe shape hooked me and I bought it years ago. I tried very hard to warm up to it, but just never did. The second one was an estate pipe on eBay that I thought was beautiful and I thought, given the difference in its shape, vs the first one I bought, that it might work better. It didn't.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The Savinelli Dry System stem is often more comfortable than a P-Lip stem and sometimes can fit a Peterson bowl. I often use the Savinelli stem on my Erica 302 and a vauen 9mm military stem on my Erica XXL Handmade. Both pipes have orific acrylics stems originally. Depends on mood. There is no set rule.
Whatever is comfortable. 2 cents.

Reactions: AroEnglish

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like how a full bent Pete with a plip hangs. However when I smoke say a straight billiard It also hangs pointing the stem straight at the roof of my mouth. So I don't need any more help burning the roof of my mouth. I've gotten enough roof rash throughout the years. Haha.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Obviously there are many that prefer to avoid the P-lip, but I'm a huge fan, and have strongly considered ONLY buying them from this point forward. That being said, my potential issues have always involved the tongue, and never the roof of my mouth.

In addition, I spend a lot of time clenching and not holding my pipe, and a fishtail usually gets to my tongue in a clench.

Finally, there are significant differences among various years with the configuration of the P-lip, (in my experience) especially in width, and somewhat in thickness. For me, the newer acrylic P-lips are wider and enhance my grip and comfort by an extremely large %. The older ones seem to "roll" in clench a little more because they are narrower.

All in all, if you've a P-lip you want to get rid of, I just might like it well enough to purchase it.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I like the P-lips. I currently own only one briar pipe …
View attachment 285435
…B42 Apple and it smokes wonderfully except it’s rather difficult to clench…not sure if it’s the bit or the heft of the pipe? Either way I’d consider getting another if I was in the market. ☕
It may be the angle of the stem. I've a B42 that I've yet to smoke so not certain, but that's my guess based on having lots of Pete bent stem models. I've come to feel that the 314 is the best combo (angle, weight, direction of rim visually for lighting, etc.) for me to clench. Also I find that the 307 is very similar.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I may be unleashing the Hounds of Hell and/or a house may fall on me for saying this, but I do not like the "P-lip" mouthpiece on the Peterson pipes. I like the pipes, the system, etc., but I hate the way the p-lip feels.

Am I alone on this iceberg??
NO NO: You are NOT alone!!! I think I'd rather undergo a couple of simultaneous root canals than smoke a p-lip! Clunky, awkward, uncomfortable .... down with the p-lip!

Reactions: Choatecav

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
I cant stand p-lip. Irritates the roof of my mouth

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As you can see, you're hardly alone. As for me and my house, we love the p-lip, the graduated bore, the silver army mounts, and muscular and classical stylings of Peterson. It's not for everyone, but I found the more I used the p-lip the more I liked it, even came to prefer it.
was just thinking today how much I love the p-lip and yet how much it doesn't matter to me because fishtails are fine too.

flyerdog

Lurker
Dec 12, 2013
I may be unleashing the Hounds of Hell and/or a house may fall on me for saying this, but I do not like the "P-lip" mouthpiece on the Peterson pipes. I like the pipes, the system, etc., but I hate the way the p-lip feels.

Am I alone on this iceberg??
Amen. I had one p-lip. Gave it away.

Reactions: LeafErikson

RPK

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2023
Clarksburg, NJ
First, I'm not a clencher. So, bits make no difference to me whatsoever. That said, I find no difference in the smoking experience of a p-lip vs. a fishtail.
I'm not a clencher either, and agree with you in that it doesn't make a difference.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have one Peterson with a P lip, a Deluxe Classic 150. I'm indifferent to the P lip. For me it doesn't smoke any different when I don't change moisture content, packing, lighting and cadence compared to a "normal" button. I think they are great for clenching due to the increased button surface. I also had a System Standard which I didn't like how it smoked, but wasnt about the P Lip, that one found another home.