PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I may be unleashing the Hounds of Hell and/or a house may fall on me for saying this, but I do not like the "P-lip" mouthpiece on the Peterson pipes. I like the pipes, the system, etc., but I hate the way the p-lip feels.

Am I alone on this iceberg??
I have been a pipe smoker for over 40 years. I have grown to hate it. It actually makes me a bit nauseous. I understand that others love it and that is great. But the P-lip is not for everyone. I only have one left, don't smoke it and will never, ever buy another. System is fine but Peterson should make more with a fishtail.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
With ya on that, the smoke stream is directed where I don’t prefer it.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I have four P-Lips and really love them. Adding a rubber pipe bit makes them a delight to smoke. My 303 and 05 P-Lips really learned me how to smoke a pipe, and everything (even fishtail bits) got much, much better from then on out.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I prefer fishtails, but will put up with P-lips (NOT a deal-breaker if it's a pipe I like)
However I did sell an Irish Harp 80s (bulldog with a P-lip) and bought a Short series 80s (fishtail) instead

Peterson makes pipes with both types of stems. :sher:
Not readily available on all models/shapes
I really wanted a SH Hudson and Squire with fishtails.
I cancelled my order after waiting more than 18months wait with no ETA in sight :(

Reactions: AroEnglish

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
First, I'm not a clencher. So, bits make no difference to me whatsoever. That said, I find no difference in the smoking experience of a p-lip vs. a fishtail.

Reactions: warren