This Has to be the Most Frivolous of Frivolous Law Suits.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then we should all sue our high school year books for running our pictures, so embarrassing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Interesting… that sheds a different light
I watched a clip on that lawsuit. The McDonald's very own witnesses all confirmed that everything the plaintiff said was true, up and to children being burned at that location. Then in a moment of smugness of the McDonald's lawyer, he told the court that the amount she was asking for was reimbursed every second in coffee sales. So, the judge raised up the plaintiff's asking to meet a due punishment since McDonald's seemed to think the previous amount was a joke. The judge wanted the case to stick in the minds of the mgt of McDonalds, and it did.
McDonalds screwed themselves on that one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The

My brother in law (a lawyer) was friends with the plaintiffs lawyer in the McDonals coffee law suite - he told me that the store in question regularly superheated their coffee or boiled it to avoid having to give free refills.
I worked for a McDonald's when that happened. Our store used a standard 4 pot Mr. Coffee that operated no different than a single pot home unit. We gave free refills and after the lawsuit, the store sold cold coffee for years.☹

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You guys are all familiar with Cobain's last words to Courtney, right?
He told her that Hole was going to be big.
puffy
What? Too soon?
I know, I know... I'll just see myself out of this thread. Sorry
Well, they did sell 3 million albums in the US. Two of their albums went platinum in the US and gold in Australia, and they did kick the shit out of "Gold Dust Woman".?‍♂️

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
every time I hear the term frivolous lawsuit, I have the same thought. Which is that it's amazing how quick people are to assume they can understand a situation perfectly with just the most scant information. The fact is we have pretty much zero information on how this has effected their life. And even the assumption that because it gives the guy a pretty useless chat up line too, any other effect is just negated. There are more details we don't have, but no we are perfectly capable of passing full judgement.

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
I always thought the McDonald’s hot coffee lawsuit in the ‘90’s was the most frivolous… until now?
Funnily enough, the case was far from frivolous, just terribly misrepresented as such in the media.

The coffee was held at >= 180F per corporate policy and resulted in third degree burns to 16% of the victim's body, requiring skin grafts. Pretty horrific.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The

My brother in law (a lawyer) was friends with the plaintiffs lawyer in the McDonals coffee law suite - he told me that the store in question regularly superheated their coffee or boiled it to avoid having to give free refills.
thank you. That story was where I learned to be wary of media manipulation. I remember the first day of the story it being treated as what it was. Unsafe food being served to customers. Then the next day it was suddenly the biggest joke and there where a million and a half (exaggeration) McDonalds ads on the news.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If whomever managed Nirvana's marketing and legal concerns did not obtain a signed release from the Parents, shame on them. Not that I think it would justify a lawsuit against them but that would just be common sense practice. I seriously doubt the photo had much to do with selling 30 million albums either. But again, when people or entities with money do things, they should be aware of the liability risks involved and take common sense steps to protect themselves. I don't think there's any question that douche bag is doing anything more than looking for a payday and he'll probably be paid some type of settlement to just go away.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
If whomever managed Nirvana's marketing and legal concerns did not obtain a signed release from the Parents, shame on them. Not that I think it would justify a lawsuit against them but that would just be common sense practice. I seriously doubt the photo had much to do with selling 30 million albums either. But again, when people or entities with money do things, they should be aware of the liability risks involved and take common sense steps to protect themselves. I don't think there's any question that douche bag is doing anything more than looking for a payday and he'll probably be paid some type of settlement to just go away.
nifty legal fact with litagation, you can't always pick the parties, but have to name all involved parties and let the courts decide who is responsible and how much so. they can't not name the band even if they feel the publisher is at fault. or someone else. but that doesn't make for a good story!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
So he freely admits to namedropping the fact that he was the 'talent' partially responsible for making that record cover famous, and managed to get ahead career wise thanks to the name dropping, and now he feels like he has the right to extort further...sounds typical of his generation.

I will say, the photo shoot on the day could have captured this image without the dangly bits by slightly changing the angle and the effect would have been the same I imagine, without the inevitable future drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.