Thinking About Switching to a Safety Razor -Any Advice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
personally any acne I had on my chin/lip etc went away after I stopped shaving. ?

and this stuff is fucking amazing. it will fix all skins. my wife has really oily skin and always had problems.. and this works perfectly. I have dry-ish skin and it works perfectly for me too.

it really is magic. but don't buy any... I want it all. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
personally any acne I had on my chin/lip etc went away after I stopped shaving. ?

and this stuff is fucking amazing. it will fix all skins. my wife has really oily skin and always had problems.. and this works perfectly. I have dry-ish skin and it works perfectly for me too.

it really is magic. but don't buy any... I want it all. :ROFLMAO:
What!? It doesn't have any latakia? That's so unmanly!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MK-340001_Merkur34CHD_SafetyRazor_x1024.jpg

The 34c HD looks the same to me

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After trying almost every shaving apparatus, I am a fan of a decent quality two blade disposable. And I use "Clean and Clear", a non-soap facial cleaner that both lubricates and leaves the face clean (and clear!). I sometimes use my Norelco rotary when I am going out in the evening.

MikhaelDavid

Lurker
Nov 5, 2019
Germany
I use two sets from Mühle Rocca series, for face and body. I would definitely recommend changing to DE razors, especially for body, so much better (and stylish of course) :)

1_5811a674090c0-oxbaseshop_0.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The 34c and 34HD are the same razor. HD (heavy duty) is just a description for the 34's extra heavy head and handle. That's why I like the 11c. Same weight as the 34 but with an open comb.

View attachment 20903

I've read the term "open comb" before and didn't really get it until now. That looks like a small garden rake! Are the combs supposed to help the whiskers stand up?

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Been using a DE for about 5 years. Just upgraded to a Timeless Titanium and it is the best I’ve ever used. Tons of options out there. RAD and other disorders can become as bad as PAD.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some of us have specific employment that requires daily shaving. I have about a year until retirement, then it's beard city. I have a feeling that it's going to be a lot grayer than I remember.
I understand. Just putting that out there. ?

Reactions: JMcQ

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
That's pretty much the slogan around here I think! The dial is an interesting feature. I was under the impression that different blades made the shave more aggressive or not.
Yes and no. Different blades behave differently (profound, no?). Let's say you are used to a certain blade with an average level of sharpness, for lack of a better term. Let's say you are used to a Wilkinson blade (not their razor). If you use the same pressure and technique with a Feather blade you may find it quite touchy and perhaps aggressive. But it is just that the Feather needs a bit lighter touch ( think of cadence with different tobaccos). I find the Feather very smooth and not aggressive when used appropriately (like a slower cadence with bitey tobacco).

The dial adjusts the gap between the blade and the comb. This will very much change the aggressiveness of the shave. A large gap is much more aggressive with any blade. You can tailor it to your skin/hair type.

In any case avoid the cheap crappy blades. They are not worth the effort.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I use a safety razor that I got for $17 at Target and I bought 100 blades for $25 on Amazon. That's $0.25 per blade which, at the time, I thought would last me about three years. It's going to be longer than that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When I was a teenager, I actually started out with safety razors. They were still popular and they used to sell these ones made of plastic, disposables per se, but you could keep changing blades for as long as the foldable joint held up. I used to use those too, till the fad of the twin blades (and later on 3, all the way to 5 [ridiculous, I know]) took over and I switched to these last named.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.