Thinking About Switching to a Safety Razor -Any Advice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Brigham Pipes
24 Fresh Neerup Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I use an old gilette I bought at an antique store. Works great. Brand shouldn't matter too much as long as the blade sits evenly and straight. I have also used some really really cheapo razors too and the blade doesn't sit straight or even. super dangerous. I still used them though, Just with extra caution. Still Got a few nicks haha.

Reactions: JMcQ

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Not to threadjack, but semi-related... Anyone got any aftershave recs? I love the way I feel (and smell) after applying it and am looking for new ones to try.
I like the alcohol ones, for the burn when applied. Clubman ones are great, but they can tell three houses down when I wear them. When I want the same burn but with a more subtle scent, I use Proraso Green aftershave.

Reactions: danimalia

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ok! Now there are a lot of responses to get through. Thanks everyone who has weighed in.

My advice.. do it...
3rd.. The technique is different than a cartridge.. short light strokes, not a single pull. dont apply pressure, let the weight of the thing do the work. Look on Youtube.. theres this scottish dude that works at a razor company, watch that for technique
4th.. Everyones face is different, get a blade sampler off of Amazon to find the right one for your face
5th Get a shaving bowl... one that retains heat, like ceramic or marble or stone
6th Buy a quality shave cream, dont use the stuff in the can...
7th Get a decent badger brush.. skip the boar..
8th.. expect cuts till you get the hang of it

I did read that when starting out it is a good idea to get a blade sampler pack. I had no idea about the fancy creams though.

Merkur 34C is a fine place to start. One I liked more, and comes in a myriad of designs, is any variant of the Edwin Jagger DE89. It’s a gentle shave, but effective enough, and good for every day.

Browse the badger and blade forum for a great load of advice. Plus, the pipe subforum over there needs a breath of fresh air.

I will check out that other version, and take a peek at that forum too. Although I'm not sure I want to start another strain of *AD!

. Probably doesn't need to be said here but sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
My reccomendation for a start would be a Gillette adjustable like a Fat boy or the cheaper slim model (eBay). That way you can dial it in the way you like. The dial adjusts the blade gap and thus the aggressiveness of the shave.

That's pretty much the slogan around here I think! The dial is an interesting feature. I was under the impression that different blades made the shave more aggressive or not.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Get a NEW Gillette Heritage

Available at Amazon only ($35).

Awesome shaver! More aggressive than a Merkur 34c in a good way.

Last shaver you'll ever buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Heritage-Inspired-Double-Safety-Razor/dp/B07XPRRV9Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=CL7XN24FPZTP&keywords=gillette+heritage&qid=1582887580&sprefix=gillette+heri,aps,232&sr=8-1

A quick check shows amazon.ca doesn't carry it. But the Wilkinson Sword came up for only $20. That's a lot cheaper than a Merkur. Is the quality that much lower?

I would have brought a rope and a flashlight if I knew I was going down a rabbit hole.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I've had the same Merkur 34C for over 10 years, and it works great for me. Feather blades, so sharp you can't feel any drag.

I also have a fancy badger brush, bowls, etc... but to be brutally honest just wetting the soap puck and then applying directly to the wet face in circular motions followed by palm/fingers gets as good a lather as putzing around with the brush and bowl.

I now use my $100+ brush to clean the tines of my $15 electric clippers ?

As for aftershave, my personal preference is Thayers Witch Hazel Toner followed by a little of the "codger" aftershaves (Old Spice of Pinaud).

Reactions: danimalia

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I made the switch about 5 years ago. Absolutely no regrets. Understand, there is a learning curve. You WILL cut yourself. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Once you get the hang of it, greatest shave.

Reactions: Casual

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I find they shave closer than a multi-blade like Mach three. Avoid blades like Feather until you get the hang of shaving only with the weight of the razor. Otherwise you get the old Bill Cosby routine,,, "Zip Dee Zop my face was ripped to shreds." I do two passes. Once with the grain and then once against. While Taylor of Bond Street gives a very smooth and soft feeling skin afterwards (plus I like the smell of the sandlewood), Poraso seems to give a bit closer shave.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I would start with a closed comb handle, less aggressive shave.. until you get the knack and stop nicking. (SWIDT?)
the Merkur 34 is a great starter handle.. and depending on your beard and face, might be the only one you ever need. Its excellent quality. I cant speak for the Wilkenson Sword.. If its made in China, I would avoid it. Most of the branded cheaper "starter" handles all come out of the same factory.. I had one and got nicks all over the place due to inconsistent blade holdage.. Once I switched to Merkur.. not a nick in sight.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
I find they shave closer than a multi-blade like Mach three. Avoid blades like Feather until you get the hang of shaving only with the weight of the razor.

So you don't apply any pressure to the actual razor?

Once I switched to Merkur.. not a nick in sight.

I'm still very much in the 'looking around' phase, but the Merkur keeps drawing me back.

I also have a fancy badger brush, bowls, etc... but to be brutally honest just wetting the soap puck and then applying directly to the wet face in circular motions followed by palm/fingers gets as good a lather as putzing around with the brush and bowl

I was afraid i would need all this 'kit' to get started. Is it kind of like how when someone starts with a pipe, you suggest a cob or cheaper briar, then move upwards to better briar?

Like I said I am not looking to start a new collection or anything. I just want to get a good razor and find my blade type and go from there.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
So you don't apply any pressure to the actual razor?

I'm still very much in the 'looking around' phase, but the Merkur keeps drawing me back.

I was afraid i would need all this 'kit' to get started. Is it kind of like how when someone starts with a pipe, you suggest a cob or cheaper briar, then move upwards to better briar?

Like I said I am not looking to start a new collection or anything. I just want to get a good razor and find my blade type and go from there.
Think of it like you would your tamper. Just enough force to keep it following the contours of your face. The blades are super sharp and don't need much force to cut through hairs.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm still boycotting Gillete. But the price of the Merkur gives me pause. I also must consider whether it suits my shaving routine: I shave under the shower, going by feel; this does away with the need for aftershave and a mirror. Would the Merkur succeed under such battle conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.