New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hate" may be too strong a word, but I don't like people who make a concerted effort to ban smoking. I don't like the regulation of tobacco. I am not crazy about taxes set to stamp out smoking. I don't like hearing that people are having a difficult time finding places to smoke. And, I especially hate when people want to stop and randomly ask me questions while I am smoking, where I have to remove my pipe from my mouth to respond.
I don't like seeing blends disappear and pipemakers giving up and quitting. I really hate dropping a pipe or accidentally leaving an open tin out in the rain. Stepping on a pipe, especially irks my day. But, most of all... all of this is offset by a moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.
This should be the definition of pipe smoking in the dictionary!

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I personally enjoy the preparation phase of getting a smoke ready and also the caring for my pipes.
The one most troublesome aspect for me is being rushed, usually self imposed. Thankfully the wifey understands and when I’m at home, only interrupts me when absolutely necessary. I guess it’s when I sneak away for a bowl while at work that I feel the most rushed. Just kinda hard to really enjoy it in that environment.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The lack of documented history about every pipe carver/factory/brand that has ever been carved.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Too big for a windcap? 8O Which pipe is it?
I have two, the one in question was a John Peele estate billiard, and it is only a little bigger than the wind cap. My other is the Mountbatten estate (I call my beater) because the bowl is massive. I use a champagne cork to plug that one.
At ray47, I have a few blends in my cellar that I am not a fan of, mostly burley stuff. I don’t reach for them often, if ever, but my brother likes them. No more than two tins, so not very deep, but wish I would have bought something else. Maybe my tastes will change, I do smoke what I like first.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
not exactly a chore. but it takes me any where from 5 to 45 min. mainly drying time takes longest. some days, i don't mind. but other times, wish it was as easy as taking out of a pack and just smoking it. and i'm trying not to get a pack.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
At ray47, I have a few blends in my cellar that I am not a fan of, mostly burley stuff. I don’t reach for them often, if ever, but my brother likes them. No more than two tins, so not very deep, but wish I would have bought something else. Maybe my tastes will change, I do smoke what I like first.
I hardly ever give up on a blend. I may not like it today and feel remorse that I bought it, but as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, my tastes will change and the blend will agree with me. Tastes changing can be one minor thing I hate about pipe smoking. I'm an old salt and I hate change.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
"Hate" may be too strong a word, but I don't like people who make a concerted effort to ban smoking. I don't like the regulation of tobacco. I am not crazy about taxes set to stamp out smoking. I don't like hearing that people are having a difficult time finding places to smoke. And, I especially hate when people want to stop and randomly ask me questions while I am smoking, where I have to remove my pipe from my mouth to respond.
I don't like seeing blends disappear and pipemakers giving up and quitting. I really hate dropping a pipe or accidentally leaving an open tin out in the rain. Stepping on a pipe, especially irks my day. But, most of all... all of this is offset by a moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.

:lol: -Hell, I have nothing to add.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I hate the fact that nobody sells real pipe cleaners within 5 miles of here except for the local "adult" store.
On a positive note, they're open late.
How I know this isn't important.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hate may not be the word, but misplacing a pipe disturbs me. My wife and I live with some clutter, no excuses. But with my regularly used possessions, I'm orderly amidst the "stuff." So when I park a pipe in some usually non-flammable corner, and don't remember where, it really irks me. I don't want to jinx the fact that I have never actually permanently lost a pipe. Oops, now I've said it. Of course, when a pipe is lost I immediately remember it as my favorite and best pipe ever. Then I find it.
gerryp, you have me wondering why an "adult store" sells pipe cleaners, and my imagination runs wild -- a dirty mind is a perpetual feast.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hate that mfgs like K&K,SG and JF Germain cannot get their shit together to be able to supply the demand for their blends. It has created a secondary market that is bad for pipe smokers.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Harris is spot on. Kind of amazing business where it seems to be dying a slow death due to anti smoking sentiment but the supply vs demand looks to be just the opposite for many of the better blends. I can see how they are tied together to an extent as there are people like myself who are stocking up for the dreaded Tobbacappocalypse.
I'd say the other things I hate are some tongue bite and the atrocious affect pipe smoke has on ones breath.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Two of the better flakes on the market are Capstan Blue Flake and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. They seem to be never out of stock. Why is that Mac Baren doesn't have shortages? Escudo is one of the most popular blends on the market yet you can get it everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.