PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
It seems that most people get more cranky as they get older but I often feel the opposite and have if anything learned to disengage or ignore from annoying behavior as it's pretty much a losing battle but... somethings still drive me crazy despite my attitude change which has happened gradually. Anyways, here are a few things off the top of my mind which happen to involve driving.

1.) Slow walkers at crosswalks. I try my best to follow traffic rules not only because I don't want a ticket but also I feel like there is such a thing as the "social contract" even if perhaps most others don't. This includes doing my best to yield at cross walks. I don't know about you but I generally wave to the drive as a pedestrian and pick up the pace but my experience as a driver I usually get these people moving at a sloth's pace despite seeing me waiting for them to cross, often half staring down at their phone and behaving like no one else in the world exists. Do I exist? Yea, I guess I do.

2.) People who deliberately speed up and merge at a highway exit in front of all the cars who got in the exit lane. My most frequently used exit on the BQE (that's a highway that runs from the Bronx to Brooklyn) is the perfect case scenario for this trivial complaint. I line up behind like 20 cars only to have 20 cars zip in front of those in line who allow anymore than a foot or so of space in front of them. Sometimes I try to out maneuver them but that generally just makes me more aggro not to mention it being a bit dangerous.

3.) I'm too tired to remember or write about it after thinking about 1.) and 2.) but will recharge and get back to some more complaining here later after reading the complaints of my fellow considerate pipe smokers.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've gotten to where I try not to let stupid people doing pretty things irritate me. I was driving in a strip mall earlier, to access Smoothie King. 3 elderly ladies walked out in front of me and then started walking down the middle of the land instead of taking 3 steps to get on the sidewalk. I thought how thoughtless, selfish and stupid they were but it was a ten second thing. No big deal.

If you haven't tried the new bowls at Smoothie King, you should. Delicious.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@hoosierpipeguy This might just be your most poignant post yet. It reminds me of this Koan:

Once upon a time, as a man was walking through a forest, he saw a tiger peering out at him from the underbrush. As the man turned to run, he heard the tiger spring after him to give chase.

Barely ahead of the tiger, running for his life, our hero came to the edge of a steep cliff. Clinging onto a strong vine, the man climbed over the cliff edge just as the tiger was about to pounce.

Hanging over the side of the cliff, with the hungry tiger pacing above him, the man looked down and was dismayed to see anothertiger, stalking the ravine far below. Just then, a tiny mouse darted out from a crack in the cliff face above him and began to gnaw at the vine.

At that precise moment, the man noticed a patch of wild strawberries growing from a clump of earth near where he dangled. Reaching out, he plucked one. It was plump, and perfectly ripe; warmed by the sunshine.

He popped the strawberry into his mouth. It was perfectly delicious. The End.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems that most people get more cranky as they get older but I often feel the opposite and have if anything learned to disengage or ignore from annoying behavior as it's pretty much a losing battle but... somethings still drive me crazy despite my attitude change which has happened gradually. Anyways, here are a few things off the top of my mind which happen to involve driving.

1.) Slow walkers at crosswalks. I try my best to follow traffic rules not only because I don't want a ticket but also I feel like there is such a thing as the "social contract" even if perhaps most others don't. This includes doing my best to yield at cross walks. I don't know about you but I generally wave to the drive as a pedestrian and pick up the pace but my experience as a driver I usually get these people moving at a sloth's pace despite seeing me waiting for them to cross, often half staring down at their phone and behaving like no one else in the world exists. Do I exist? Yea, I guess I do.

2.) People who deliberately speed up and merge at a highway exit in front of all the cars who got in the exit lane. My most frequently used exit on the BQE (that's a highway that runs from the Bronx to Brooklyn) is the perfect case scenario for this trivial complaint. I line up behind like 20 cars only to have 20 cars zip in front of those in line who allow anymore than a foot or so of space in front of them. Sometimes I try to out maneuver them but that generally just makes me more aggro not to mention it being a bit dangerous.

3.) I'm too tired to remember or write about it after thinking about 1.) and 2.) but will recharge and get back to some more complaining here later after reading the complaints of my fellow considerate pipe smokers.
Slow cross walkers don't really bother me that much. Certainly not as much as people who are staring their phone when waiting for the left,hand turn signal, act surprised when people behind them honk their horns, and only move as the signal is changing, leaving the rest of us to wait for the next cycle. Happens quite a lot in LA.

I'm also not fond of slalom drivers, those impatient idiots in sports cars they're too stupid to drive, who swing in and out of lanes in an effort to gain a few seconds, endangering themselves and others around them. Thy cause a lot of accidents, much to their surprise, if nobody else's. Seriously, if you don't value your life, don't endanger others, just find a friendly cliff to drive off of.

I don't get strirred up about politics. It's theater, a circus, and the media is lying to you, as are all politicians at one point of another. I have sources I check for accurate information after hearing the latest bullshit political fad. I'm no longer surprised that people actually get wrapped around this crap. IQ scores have been declining in the US for years, and this is just another example of it.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Stoicism has helped me find equilibrium, and my own occupation demands patience and understanding if one is to do it without going crazy. So, for the most part, I'm a much more disciplined and mature person now than I was in my 20s. I was never quite a hothead, but I came close; I had a terrible habit of letting minor things get to me and upset me to no end.

Still, I find that going to a grocery store can cause me to relapse back to my anti-social 20-something self. Of all the chores in the world, grocery shopping is my most loathed. I'd much rather scrub the toilet and bathtub than go grocery shopping.

From the crowded isles filled with so much useless crap that you can barely move, to the zombified people who purposely find the most inconvenient places to have their inane conversations, the whole ordeal produces in me a seething rage. And then, the topper: when I go and return my cart and see how few are the others that likewise do so. Bunch of damn sociopaths in our midst! To put away a shopping cart is bare minimum courtesy you can do for others, and yet this simple act is simply too much effort for these freakish bipedal blobs of redundant protoplasm, who just leave their carts to take up parking spots and to damage other people's vehicles.

To think the grocery store was once the very place that even Khrushchev himself had to sit in awe and concede that capitalism had at least some merit. Now the whole thing is a testament to our decline.

Jan 27, 2020
Now the whole thing is a testament to our decline.

Yes, I agree for a few different reasons and stated to think about this more in the last few years. The main one being that supermarkets are so far removed from the food chain and to me represent the aspirations of how most people want to live and eat which to me are quite opposite to the relationship I want to have with food and consumerism in general.

Jan 27, 2020
Seriously, if you don't value your life, don't endanger others, just find a friendly cliff to drive off of.

Half the time I read about accidents involving such drivers it seems like they are the ones who didn't end up dying, but, driving in NYC these days I am actually more concerned about hitting someone who rides an e-bike like a "slalom driver" and being blamed, or being hit by one while walking or riding an analogue bicycle. Not sure though how much an issue this is in the rest of the country.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Never in the history of the world have a people had such access to information. A tremendous amount of knowledge is at our fingertips. BUT…we have a vast amount of people who believe what ever is fed to them by media. People, for what ever reason, do not educate themselves on things that effect their life. There are examples of this everywhere. We allow the media to tell us what is fact and what is false. This irritates me to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.