PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I thought Rush retired due to Neil Peart getting ill (and eventually passed). Of course Alex's arthritis is devastating too.

Maybe now Geddy Lee can learn to sing (I'm kidding and do enjoy some Rush).
Neil was never keen on touring and wanted to spend more time with his young daughter. He also had chronic tendonitis and admitted that it was a struggle to keep playing at the level that he wanted to. Alex's psoriatic arthritis was another contributing factor.

Neil was diagnosed with a brain tumor about a year after their final tour and retirement, and he passed away in January, 2020.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still enjoy walking, but I don't run for fear of grinding up my hip or knee joints, and if you don't run, you can't run much. Parts of me are still somewhat limber, but I'm afraid to name the parts for fear they will get inflamed. I had really limiting pain in my shoulders for a while, but somehow that passed. Being active as you can helps, and being inactive doesn't. Those Salonpas pads with Lindocane help on occasion, but I only use them if I'm having trouble. Not much to like about arthritis. Almost no one gets away scot free. You don't want to give up to age, but don't feel oppressed by it if you can help it. A little delusional optimism can be a good thing.

The Leonard Cohen lyric that caught my attention is, "I hurt in the places where I used to play."

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've only got arthritis in my right knee and the pain is rather low so nothing to complain about except that a couple times a year the knee will give out on me when going upstairs or downstairs. I have to be sure when doing either of those I have good handhold on the banister.
I have osteoarthritis in both knees, the left knee much worse than the right knee. I had total knee replacement (left knee) eight weeks ago today. I had some complications, excessive bleeding and excessive swelling, the first two weeks were horrible.

Physical therapy hurt like a SOB, but I stuck with it and have 3 PT appointments left. Things are much better and I plan on getting the right knee replaced when the pain becomes to much.

I use Voltarin arthritis cream on the right knee. Works pretty good.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I used CBD gummies to help me sleep. Became to expensive.

I'll check out the CBD hard candies.
My wife has melatonin gummies that I tried a couple of times. They definitely help me get to sleep, but they seem to have a hangover effect and I still feel tired after waking up from a full 8 hours. The hangover part defeats the purpose, so I gave up on them.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've got it in my knees and hips but the most annoying place is in my hands. Not being able to play video games as well as I used to and the hands themselves aching after playing is frustrating. Whoever it was that mentioned the cold was spot on. If I don't wear my gloves in the winter my hands just seize up, they never used to do that.

I read that Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher has arthritis in his hips and was gonna need them replaced. Sucks!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I read that Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher has arthritis in his hips and was gonna need them replaced. Sucks!
My favorite Oasis story is when the singer sick with throat issues, so he sat on the balcony watching the show. His brother had to take over singing duties while playing guitar, which is not an easy task.

As his brother struggled to play and sing at the same time, Liam heckled the band from the balcony, shouting "you suck" (or some other British phrase) while smoking cigarettes and drinking champagne.

I suppose surgery may allow this story to repeat itself, which would literally make me laugh out loud again.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My wife has melatonin gummies that I tried a couple of times. They definitely help me get to sleep, but they seem to have a hangover effect and I still feel tired after waking up from a full 8 hours. The hangover part defeats the purpose, so I gave up on them.
Melatonin gummies had the same effect on me.

I tried this CBD tea... didn't help.
IMG20230104183505.jpg
I still have about 40 sachets left. I'll send them to anyone who wants to try them.

Jun 9, 2018
England
My favorite Oasis story is when the singer sick with throat issues, so he sat on the balcony watching the show. His brother had to take over singing duties while playing guitar, which is not an easy task.

As his brother struggled to play and sing at the same time, Liam heckled the band from the balcony, shouting "you suck" (or some other British phrase) while smoking cigarettes and drinking champagne.

I suppose surgery may allow this story to repeat itself, which would literally make me laugh out loud again.
That was their MTV appearance iirc.

My favourite quote from Noel about his brother Liam is:

"He's like a man with a fork, in a world of soup"

😆😆😆

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
CBD really works?
From my experience, CBD products vary very widely in quality and effectiveness. The only ones that have helped me have contained 60 mg CBD per 1 ml. serving of the tincture. The oil I use has less than 0.3 THC. It does not get me high or buzzed in any way. It took a really long time of consistent daily use to feel relief from my bone and joint pains. After approximately 6 weeks my pain relief was so significant I was able to quit taking twice daily doses of Loritab pain medicine and 3 times a year cortisone injections in my painful joints. My pain relief continued to get better to the point where I don't even need Tylenol for pain. I quizzed my bone and joint doc who had been prescribing the Loritabs and injecting my joints about how I might be experiencing such pain relief from CBD. He feels that the CBD is very likely relieving/reducing the inflammation that has been associated with my pains since he knows that it's not capable of repairing my hurtful joints. It also helps greatly with sleep. I used to wake up every couple of hours in pain and would have to change positions to take the pressure off the hurting body parts. Before I started using CBD I used to average 4 to 5 hours sleep each night in total. I now sleep through the night for 7 to 8 hours. Now, I only wake up during the night if I need a bathroom break. Unfortunately good quality CBD products used consistently on a daily basis is a bit expensive. I've managed to mitigate the expense by ordering in the largest quantity containers sold when they have their best sale discounts and free shipping. I've also had my primary care doctor run comprehensive lab tests to see if my use of CBD products has harmed my blood chemistry and/or organ functions. He didn't expect there would be and my lab results confirmed the same. My primary doctor now recommends CBD use to some of his other patients who struggle with pain issues.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
50428258293.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Depending on type and level of condition, if it’s not bad, and can be controlled, stay away from all Inflammatory Foods, learn what they all are.

And there’s a world of natural remedies and supplements, not to mention alternatives in medicine, ayurvedic and chinese.

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
Was it made in Shillelagh? It's always good to have an expedient in one's hand.

Arthritis is a bitch. I've got in my right hip. Losing a bunch of weight, to help for your hand, eased my pain to almost nil. I had an orthopedist ready to do a replacement but that's postponed indefinitely. All I can suggest is to find some exercise for the fingers and try to slow the disease's advance. Perhaps a handball to squeeze whenever your hand is idle. Good luck!
My wife got it in her right hip 4 days ago from walking outside in the bitter cold. Very slowly getting better.How long did you have pain till it subsided?She is taking Tylenol Arthritis now,helping a little. Would appreciate any advice

Reactions: bullet08
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Pain is given. But, I can't punch with left hand anymore. Joints are too stiff. I can't use chopsticks like I used to. I used to pride myself in my chopsticks use. My kids used to joke that I eat soup with chopsticks. Walking cane slips out of my hand occasionally. Which sucks since I like my Irish Blackthorn cane. Com'on, add to the list!
I feel for you Bullet. With me it is arthrosis in my right hand. Not always that painful, but if it hurts like the dickens.
It does not bother me much, but doing George Dibos magic pipe refurbishing methods that takes considerable strenght will sometimes not do. Apart from that ailment; 65 and fit as a butchers dog .
One of my pastimes is stickmaking and there some wonderfully thorned blackthorn shanks waiting to start working on.
Can you post a picture of your stick; would much like to see it :)
Keep moving and keep it warm ( wear a glove ) ! I am an avid Argentine Tango dancer and private teacher since 1995 and can strangle a grown man with my thighs LOL.
My left hand hook is lethal.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Was it made in Shillelagh? It's always good to have an expedient in one's hand.

Arthritis is a bitch. I've got in my right hip. Losing a bunch of weight, to help for your hand, eased my pain to almost nil. I had an orthopedist ready to do a replacement but that's postponed indefinitely. All I can suggest is to find some exercise for the fingers and try to slow the disease's advance. Perhaps a handball to squeeze whenever your hand is idle. Good luck!
Speak softly and carry a big stick :)