PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Pain is given. But, I can't punch with left hand anymore. Joints are too stiff. I can't use chopsticks like I used to. I used to pride myself in my chopsticks use. My kids used to joke that I eat soup with chopsticks. Walking cane slips out of my hand occasionally. Which sucks since I like my Irish Blackthorn cane. Com'on, add to the list!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Irish Blackthorn cane
Was it made in Shillelagh? It's always good to have an expedient in one's hand.

Arthritis is a bitch. I've got in my right hip. Losing a bunch of weight, to help for your hand, eased my pain to almost nil. I had an orthopedist ready to do a replacement but that's postponed indefinitely. All I can suggest is to find some exercise for the fingers and try to slow the disease's advance. Perhaps a handball to squeeze whenever your hand is idle. Good luck!

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Having to buy increasingly larger pencils, pens, pipes, tools, etc. I'm thinking of having someone turn me a set of 38mm diameter pens and pencils. Commercially available ones are getting too hard to grip.
I've been looking into larger pens myself due to arthritis. My Parker jotters are my favorite, but even they are getting too small for me. They make an XL version, but the barrels are all metal, and slippery. I've tried 3 or 4 medications that didn't help, but I just started a new one.

The cold realllllllllly doesn't help.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Having to buy increasingly larger pencils, pens, pipes, tools, etc. I'm thinking of having someone turn me a set of 38mm diameter pens and pencils. Commercially available ones are getting too hard to grip.
Commission you say???
PXL_20230103_200744632.MP.jpg

I've been fiddling with turning pens. This was my first practice one, that ended up being much bigger than I anticipated. Now that you mention it, does feel pretty good in my fingers😂

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh, i didn't mention it but there's nothing to like about arthritis.
being able to make people cringe by cracking ones joints easily is fun.
Oh and the one thing that helps mine is a thc cbd lotion that doesn't do anything but kill the pain locally and the swelling might help. Oh and pain killers barely do a thing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Was it made in Shillelagh? It's always good to have an expedient in one's hand.

Arthritis is a bitch. I've got in my right hip. Losing a bunch of weight, to help for your hand, eased my pain to almost nil. I had an orthopedist ready to do a replacement but that's postponed indefinitely. All I can suggest is to find some exercise for the fingers and try to slow the disease's advance. Perhaps a handball to squeeze whenever your hand is idle. Good luck!
Was made in Ireland. Not sure where in Ireland. It's a proper walking cane, not a Irish fighting stick. I would doubt it will cause much of a damage. I have something else for causing pain.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
CBD really works?
honestly it's hit or miss. But the stuff with both certainly works. And like I hope I said before it doesn't get you even a tiny little bit high. But it's amazing how much it helps. Once a month I use it and haven't been in chronic pain like I was best part is having feeling in my finger tips again. Yeah it's pretty severe arthritis.