PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
NEVER
EVER
BUY FROM A SELLER WHO IS USING GLOBAL SHIPPING!!!
THEY ARE A BUNCH OF UNPRINCIPLED CROOKS WHO SEIZE PIPES AND TOBACCOS!!!!!

If the seller is willing to use Royal Mail, fine, but Global Shitheads is a scam.

AND EBAY DOESN'T WARN YOU!!!
It would be so easy to let the seller know it’s a prohibited item via GSP.

But eBay won’t let a seller change once they commit to global shipping

Reactions: Briar Tuck

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Can you ask the seller to delist the item. It would be in their interest to do so. They could say they found a defect in it. Then they could resist again.
What has to happen is for the seller to just be agreeable. But here’s the thing, a shit load of sellers on eBay aren’t interested in doing extra work.

They’re only interested in moving an item they found when cleaning out a deceased persons bins.

I’ve had sellers cooperate and then cancel the sell only to do so privately BUT as messed up as eBay is it offers buyer’s protection.

Go outside that and you’re risking never seeing your pipe or money.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sounds like an act of war to me.

...and how do otherwise mellow, laid back, and friendly pipesmokers deal with such things?

Rather sternly when pipe theft is involved. [grrrrrrr]

Tell 'em to send the goddam pipe within ten minutes or say hello to Mr. Hundred Million Degrees Celsius.

Like, 5000 of them. Every village, town, and city on the island.

It's the only way to be sure.

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 7.26.34 PM.png

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've never had a problem with the other mail what is it called.. ..... royal mail I think. But they work with usps so if usps delivers it so should they. Other then that I wouldn't order something being shipped through another means from across the pond.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This seems to be theft impersonating customs enforcement. I buy only from U.S. retailers and then hope for the best. From the number of scam phone calls and emails I get daily, it seems there are more thieves than honest working folk in the population. Oh, it's perfectly legal, but it's theft all the same.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I assume the info is somewhere. And any overseas shipping carries a host of risks, including restrictions that should be labeled clearly somewhere.
Except Global Shipping doesn’t say jack shit.

That’s the entire problem.

I buy pipes almost exclusively through eBay. I’ve purchased from France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Scotland, Ireland, Ukraine and England.

Only problem I’ve ever had was Global Shipping out of England.

Never had a problem with any other shipper.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I buy pipes almost exclusively through eBay. I’ve purchased from France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Scotland, Ireland, Ukraine and England.

that's amazingly lame. That should be a red flag right off the bat. Every other shipping company seems to have a whole huge list of restricted and questionable items by country.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
that's amazingly lame. That should be a red flag right off the bat. Every other shipping company seems to have a whole huge list of restricted and questionable items by country.
it’s exceedingly amazingly lame.

A simply note to SELLERS. Is this a pipe? You can’t ship using Global Shipping.

It’s so simple it’s bizarre.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So sorry to hear you lost that special pipe 😡

There are a lot of dickheads running the postal services (worldwide) making ad hoc decisions that defy logic.

Prior to Christmas I wanted to send a few cigars to @tklee
(In Malaysia)
I was told at the Sydney GPO (main Sydney PO) that they won't accept the parcel as it would most likely be impounded by Aust Customs.

This is despite there being NO restrictions on cigar imports from any corner of the globe into Australia.
And no restrictions sending or receiving tobacco within Australia 🤔
It just does not make sense 😡

Thankfully a friend was returning to M'sia and was happy to carry them in his luggage.
The package artived safely.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

I have bought plenty of pipes via global shipping from the US.
The ony one I had a problem with was when a pipe got lost after tracking showed leaving the US,it never tracked as arriving in Europe.

I have had items stopped 2 times when buying from the UK,both were not pipe related

One was some nails for a nail gun,Global shipping stopped them,I reordered from the selller sent R Mail no problem.
The other was a spray cleaner,the same thing ,I reordered via R Mail