PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
It's hard to get a good census of these insects, and I suspect that there are some regional differences which complicates matters. The population of honey bees and monarch butterflies have been reliably reported as in decline in recent years. OTOH stink bugs and fire ant colonies -- at least in Eastern NC are thriving. Hard to tell what's going on with murder hornets as reporting seems to border on hysteria. At any rate the hypothesis seems believable to me.

BTW anecdotal is not a synonym for wrong or unbelievable, it means it doesn't have the rigor of science behind it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
apperantly a few years ago bee populations started to crash and at first no one knew why and then they found out why and got it sorted and there has a been a steady return to normal. It was called something like colony collapse syndrome. And now people are hearing about it and acting all like it's a current thing.

apperantly a few years ago bee populations started to crash and at first no one knew why and then they found out why and got it sorted and there has a been a steady return to normal. It was called something like colony collapse syndrome. And now people are hearing about it and acting all like it's a current thing.
Yeh, there was a huge surge into beekeeping. Not enough bees to go around. There was no shortage of bees.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, no dancing with bumblebees. That is certain to get them on your skin. You have have to go into a zen mode and let them do their work. When you wander off, they wander off, with a little luck. The cart is back in position and no bees or old geezers were harmed in this instance.

Reactions: MattRVA and Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Even though it's been in the eighties here also, I haven't observed to many insects out and about yet. I have these two sparrows (male & female) that have been following me around all winter. I've been feeding them crushed up cat food and crushed up almonds. They're starting to get closer to me in proximity, pretty soon they'll be shitting on my head and shoulders. KIMG1885.JPG

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
We've definitely had a lack of pollinators on the farm for the last few years. We can't find a beekeeper, either. Plenty of mosquitos around the river, though, as always. The bloodsuckers never leave.

Just so everyone knows, there are scientists who's entire careers are devoted to counting populations of birds and insects. There have been declines in both.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
We've definitely had a lack of pollinators on the farm for the last few years. We can't find a beekeeper, either. Plenty of mosquitos around the river, though, as always. The bloodsuckers never leave.

Just so everyone knows, there are scientists who's entire careers are devoted to counting populations of birds and insects. There have been declines in both.

I can imagine that being a boring job. No wonder there is a decline in them. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Tuck