PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've been a part of the YouTube Pipe Community for 7 years now. It's one thing to read how to pack and light a pipe etc., but it's another thing to watch someone demonstrate it. There are a lot of visual learners out there. Now I will admit that there are plenty of YouTubers that don't do a good job with their video's, and I'll admit I have some terrible videos posted still, but 99% of us are just doing it for fun and a way to interact with other pipe smokers. We don't have fancy computers and camera's and special editing software etc. Most of us are just using a basic digital camera, simple camcorder or our phones. This is something we're doing for fun, and not to make money.
Over the years I've hosted multiple meet ups and have established real friendships with some other YouTubers. The YTPC is more than just instructional video's and tobacco reviews. For most of us it's like chatting on a forum; however, we do our conversing through the form of video and then respond back and forth in the comments section or with a video response. That's why you'll see many of us just rambling about basic life etc. and not all pipes and tobacco related subjects.
I get that not everyone is interested in our community, but it's a great way to learn how to smoke a pipe for beginners, and it's great for learning new tricks and tips for those of us that have been doing it for a while. It's also a great way to interact with other pipe smokers in a society where there are few lounges that will allow pipe smoking and in general there aren't very many of us around.
For those that speak negatively about the YTPC I challenge you to make a video yourself. Let's see how you do with your production (sound, lighting, background, props, editing, etc.). We're not professionals, it's a hobby and it's not as easy as it looks. Also if you think you can correctly teach someone how to light a pipe or pack a pipe in less than one minute I'd like to see it. When I've been to cigar/pipe lounges and have talked with new pipe smokers and they're asking for tips on how to light or pack a pipe; it takes longer than a minute to effectively demonstrate that to someone. So again, if you think you can do better; please do so! The YTPC welcomes anyone and everyone, and we always appreciate someone that can teach us new or better methods in our hobby or that can provide us with that perfect insight as to why blend A is so much better than blend B.
:puffy:

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Very interesting topic and thoughts.
Steve ( pipestud ) Thank You for the very kind words.
Metalheadcigarguy - great content and I agree with his thoughts.
MSO - a good critique is always welcome! However, not just with a mouse click. Leave a comment. Make suggestions. Any You Tuber that is not willing to get better / improve, or is not willing to read, learn, and listen, should get off YT.
Short videos are NOT what YT prefers, for anyone trying to generate some residual income. Watch time is what offers YT the most options for running their ( very tedious and annoying ) adds. The number of subscribers only matters once one hits the threshold in which YT allows for monitization, which IF your subject matter is only pipes, tobacco, and cigars is NOT possible. Adsense does not allow these topics ( and others ) to allow the presenter to make a penny. Those that do stick to the 3 topics ( pipes, tobacco and cigars ) are doing it due to our love of the life style / hobby. Not to make money.
Watching You Tube offers you a multitude of choices. Who and what you select is up to you. If you don't enjoy a specific channel or presenter, only a mouse click to find one you do.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Biggest no-no for me is not giving a final rating out of 10! So your channel has thirty reviews and I still have no idea how each tobacco compares to the others. Describing of the different flavours in twenty different adjectives is also misleading without actually stating if it is any good and why it is good. In short - get to the point.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
metalheadycigarguy - Everything you said is true. Could I do a YT video if I wanted to and make it look and sound good? Yes, but I was trained in video starting back in the mid-70s (I also shot 16mm mopic film for several years.)
My complaint - which I did post in the comment section - is that the YTuber needed to do some basic research before turning on the camera. If you talking about something which viewers can easily google themselves and/or tobacco blends which can be found on tobaccoreviews.com, then you should at least make an effort to get the information correct.
Telling viewers you have no idea what is in a blend when you can easily read the description on the tin or on-line is just lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.