PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I agree with mso's points and find them educative.

If I were to start making piping videos on youtube I would appreciate this kind of concrete advice.
Mumblers can also be a problem. I want to hear what they say.

Ha ha, not that I would never watch a youtube of any sorts... but watching one that never gets negative, is always positive, and blah blah blah... sounds like Mr. Rogers with a pipe. What the hell kind of fun is that? If this is all seen as the model of perfect youtube entertainment, then leave me out (don't worry, I was out at the start). Damn, when did we all lose our balls and senses of humor? This all sounds like politically correct purgatory to me.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I can't watch any of them, if that option was around when I started smoking a pipe I never would have lasted. It's smoking a pipe FFS. The biggest problem for new smokers is information overload leading to overthinking in my opinion. The only informative videos on YouTube that I can watch are Uncle Rob's :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSfjD7o1CQZXzdAy56c8kg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I gave up on Youtube when some person interviewed me at the Chicago Pipe show a few years ago and you could see the expression of 'When does the bar open' in my face. Outside a fart lighting videos I have never found much of value on Youtube!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
If I’m watching a blend review, and the reviewer doesn’t retrohale, video over.
That’s just me. I know a lot of you don’t retrohale, and that’s cool, but for me it’s hard to imagine getting a “3D” grasp of a blend’s flavor and nuance without retrohaling.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I actually enjoy watching a little bit of an awful P&T You Tube. They can be hilarious and a nice break from the grind.
Now, if you want to be entertained and informed, watch one of Mike Glukkler's Briar Blues You Tube presentations. Mike keeps them short, informative, offers a little humor and best of all, I trust the host to know what the heck he's talking about. Mike also gets terrific knowledgeable guests that he does Q&A with and I learn a lot while being entertained at the same time.
Want to learn something about a particular part of our hobby? Pick one - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUFWS40j6P7Jm0vQk_Cl4FxQ
And no, this is not a paid advertisement but it should be.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
There's one guy who's like the Bob Ross of pipes - very relaxing and also kind of hilarious.
A couple things not mentioned yet: Many, if not most, new pipe smokers didn't grow up around it. I know I've personally seen a grand total of 3 people pack a pipe in my life. Imagine trying to figure out how to load and smoke a pipe properly just from reading about it. Need something for those visual learners, especially with something so tactile. (I've personally never found anything very helpful on youtube, but that's another matter.) Another thing is that a lot of people don't have anybody to smoke with. There's a whole generation of kids whose babysitter, etc. was youtube, and a lot of the videos I've tried to watch seem to be set up as some kind of weird virtual social club for lonely pipe smokers. Sad, but true. Youtube is also where a lot of younger people learn how to do anything practical. Many of my (college-age) students wouldn't be able to change a lightbulb or finger a guitar chord without youtube.
All reasons to hope for improvement in the quality of youtube videos on pipe smokin.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Oh man, I'm hesitant to name him lest he see this thread. He seems like a sensitive soul.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I do Agree on Mso489's point, Must confess I'm quite actively contributing and taking part in Y T Pipe community daily life'nonetheless I don't do any videos,only commenting and supporting, but lately when watching some of the YTPC content creators uploadings I often find myself asking don't You have anything else to do or better way to spending Your time,, many people seem to like talking & hearing themselves..just for sake of doing that,,

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Paul, some Youtubers do that for a living. Hence their plugs at the beginning and end (and sometimes the middle) of their videos for you to subscribe. After a certain number of subscribers Google pays them (or used to). Many Youtubers are also on Patreon, GoFundMe, and other donation platforms.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I confess I like some of the people who don't do a good job, as interesting characters or seemingly interesting people. That's why I think a few might be nudged toward better work. Just organizing the thoughts and thereby shortening the video could reveal some pretty telegenic performers. We've all been propagandized that we need only show our pretty faces and everyone will love us, whereas if we do a little work, we can up our game considerably. Expressing scorn is of no interest to me. Prompting some effort would be good.

Jun 9, 2018
England
When I first started I looked on YouTube a lot for info on different cuts to how certain tobaccos are cured and found a lot of it very helpful, I mainly now follow 4 members of the YTPC 2 fellow Brits a yank and a German and I enjoy hearing other people speak about and review different blends and hear how things are different in their country from the foreign YouTubers.

I have definitely seen some who weren't my cup of tea but I enjoy the members of the YTPC I follow and one of them does a live stream where he smokes and talks about blends, pipes and a myriad of different topics, those watching can interact through live chat and you get about 20-40 people watching so it has the feel of a virtual international pipe club meet.

Now I'm guessing a proper pipe club is better for many reasons but unfortunately I don't live near a pipe club and my health can be up & down so I really enjoy the option of interacting with other pipe smokers from the comfort of my own home whether that be here in forum land or on YouTube.
Chris

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smudger', 'sounds like you've found a good niche or two online. When you find the right sites, the only problem is overdoing it, like me with my number of posts!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In my opinion there is only one channel worth watching and I look forward to his videos. Without mentioning his channel I will say that he has structure and great quality videos that have substance and I really enjoy his humor. His videos can be long at times but it’s never because he’s stumbling around thinking of what to talk about, it’s more because he has a lot a good information to talk about and he’s probably the most down to earth dude in the YouTube community.

Status
Not open for further replies.