PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Cosmic here on the forums fashioned me a beautiful tamper 4 years ago. Here is the link to the unveiling.

Last edited:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
phxrock...if you don't like them that is fine, but no, they are not made by a 10 yr. old and most of the folks that have them say they enjoy something different and that they can hold on to.
Your opinion is noted, and thanks for your thoughts.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Here’s one that I made in about 5 minutes. All you need is a piece of bamboo, a nail and a brass cartridge.

I thinks it feels a bit better in the hand than the nail alone and also has a slightly bigger tamping surface.
A650262-C-F826-48-C8-AAFF-7-BDEFAEB64-E8.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like to make tampers out of pieces of branch that I've found on road trips and my own backyard. I usually cut a silver pipe nail in half and glue them into a hole I've drilled into the hardened end of the wood. I harden the wood with liquid super glue which makes the end hard enough to drill without problems...each is unique and brings back memories of where I found it.

stBEOVkl.jpg

The bottom one in this pic would look great with a brass nail. Not sure if it's the color, texture, or both of the wood.

Now I'm curious to try myself!

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
With years of experience and improved technique, I find I mostly finger tamp with the exception being if I am smoking one of my meerschaums that I wouldn't want to smudge with ash.

I found finger tamping prevents tamping with too much pressure as well as smoking slower and cooler. Burning a finger once or twice can teach you quick.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I have a few in different scales, and one of them is in my pocket at all times (Case Peanut). The non-opening end makes a wonderful tamper, and either blade is a perfect pick or bowl scraper.
I’m also a fan of the lowly golf tee (especially when smoking a cob), or a plain ‘ole roofing nail, but the Peanut makes it one less thing to carry or remember. Still have and occasionally use the classic Czech tool...

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.