Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some nicks give a pipe character.

Not to mention the Irvings.
Just pulling your chain Onizuka.
That is one beautiful pipe, and obviously very popular.

A lot of us wish we had done that well on our first serious pipe purchase.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes.

It will only get better.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I went to a tobacco store today while I was in Berkeley but it was more of a head shop. They had a pipe that looked like the Octavia I have, but in a natural finish. It was some type of clone and when closely inspected, it just didn't feel right. I can't wait for my two Hardcastles to show up. I'll post some more pipe pr0n as soon as I get them.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, I just received my two other pipes - but I'm concerned with one of them - the other I'm not too concerned with.
Let me know what you guys think - I have no idea what to call this chipping, perhaps whatever they use inside the bowl some how chipped and flaked in a spot and it was no where in the packaging - so it couldn't have flaked during shipping.
The first is the Royale Bruyere from Hardcastle.

RB01.jpg

Should I be concerned?
RB02.jpg

Here is my other concern, the hole is way off center. Is this a big deal? I only paid about $40 after shipping for this.

RB03.jpg

Here's the Walnut by Hardcastle, this one seems all right.

WN01.jpg

Once again, the hole is off center but not way off center.

WN02.jpg

Also, when I opened up the package they both smelled like cigars. These were labeled as unsmoked. Should I just cut my losses and send both back to the eBay seller? Or am I doomed to eat up this $80? I also forgot to mention that these "defects" were not noted in the auction - and they have a 3 day return policy. Ah, this is like my purchase nightmare.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
As long as the hole is centered and at the bottom of the bowl don't sweat it. Most bents are off center on the stem end. As for the chip, I can't make it out.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It looks to me like a small flake in the carbon coating has come off.

The carbon coating is used to make the pipe smoke like it is already broken in.

I think that as you build your cake the flaked area will disappear.

I don't believe it's any big deal... nothing to worry about.
I know I have a couple of pipes that had the carbon coating when I bought them, but I don't remember which pipes they were.
Guys correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that the carbon cake is made with Buttermilk, Sour-cream, and Activated Charcoal mixed into a paste and applied then allowed to try.... yummy.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks guys fir chiming in. I was seriously worried that I got scammed.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No problem Onizuka, it was a good and unique question.

We all love to help our whenever we can.

That's what this site is all about.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted another carbon recipe.
OH I almost for got to send you a well deserved Oooooo and an Ahhhhhh over those pipes.

You look like you are off to a good start.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think the pipes are probably ok based on the price you paid. This is an example of "you get what you pay for".
They look nice, and the chip is no big deal like pstlpkr said.
However, I don't think you will be able to get a pipe cleaner all the way through while the stem is attached.
That is something that annoys me with a few of my pipes where I have that problem.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice looking additions!
Like everyone said; the chip in the carbon coating is nothing to worry. It will get covered up by the cake from smoking anyway. Actually, there are a lot of people who prefer to remove the carbon coating before they smoke the pipe and build it up themselves.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. What you guys are telling me has put me at ease.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
I don't have a lot of advice as far as pipes go... but I did have to add my two cents and say that the Royale Bruyere is a very...dare I say pretty... pipe! ^_^ I love the coloring. I really hope you enjoy them.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'm new too - and actually, the reason I bought it was because I thought it looked so nice. We'll find out in the future if it smokes half as nicely as it looks.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Here's an update on my pipe collection, the newest addition, a Savinelli Tundra 699 Smooth Pipe, I love its looks.
savinellitundra01.jpg

savinellitundra02.jpg

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I like this new pipe the most of all. Likely this is because I'm partial to grain and "special" looking bent stems. Enjoy!

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Beautiful pipe! I agree with john, I like seeing the grain and that stem =D
Now.. Must .. Resist.. PAD.... *runs off to a corner so I don't spend Christmas money on PAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.