PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, this is the first pipe I've ever bought. I bought it on eBay and it finally arrived today. Any how, I think it's worth the price I paid ($95). It actually came with the box, pipe cleaners, balsa filters, leather pouch, and a stand (all seemingly original, as they say Savinelli on the package). The only thing that made me sad was a small nick at the top of the bowl - should this be a concern or does it devalue my pipe? I'm not sure - in any case, no one will be looking at the top of this pipe while it's being smoked and from what I've seen these pipes can go for more than what I paid after shipping; last year or the year before I let one of these slip through my hands on eBay as well, I was determined to never let that happen again - in fact, I can't even find a shop that sells the Octavia online, so I think it's worth it. Only two other things about this pipe, but they aren't a big deal to me - the octagon shape is sharper on one side than the other - my guess is the piece wasn't large enough to begin with when they started. The other is the shank and stem are really tight - I mean, I'm afraid to muscle it off, so I gently twist it back and forth to put it together and take it apart (any ideas?)
Well, here's to the good stuff, I know you've all read a lot and you want to see the pipe already, so here it is.
sav1.jpg

sav2.jpg

The nick in question.

sav3.jpg

Two more pipes are coming in but won't be here until mid October.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a gorgeous pipe, onizuka. I couldn't see the ding on the top of the bowl, but if it worries you, I read somewhere that shallow dings can be relieved by swelling the wood with steam. Maybe someone online knows how to do it. As for the tight fitting stem, perhaps some lubricant is in order -- maybe extra virgin olive oil. But by all means, wait for other responses and hopefully better suggestions.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
It's just a small nick at the top, if you look to the left of the bowl it looks like a small sliver. It's not a big deal but like all my things, I hate it when there is a small imperfection, can't be helped, I have the cursed eye.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
wow, that's impressive even with a minor blemish. I have almost all estate pipes, so almost every one of my pipes has many minor flaws like that. You picked a winner!
little advice, pick up a couple of cheap pipes like cobs or cheap estate briars to try new blends in. you wouldn't want to risk ghosting a nice pipe like that.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Onizuka,
That was a nice choice for your first pipe. Like you, little flaws can really eat at me over time, but in this circumstance, just remember that many, if not most, first time smokers start off with pipes of far lesser quality that in some cases turns them off from pipe smoking altogether.
It looks like you've really got the right attitude about getting into pipes and tobaccos. I think your experience will be a rewarding one.
P.S., Welcome to the forums!

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely be picking up a few estates or cobs; the last thing I want to do is ruin a nice pipe with a flavor I don't want.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Beautiful pipe! I definitely wouldn't worry about the minor mark inside the rim. Just think of it as adding character to the pipe. Besides, eventually you are going to accidentally add some more character yourself!
As for the sharp corners on one side...I suspect that symmetry in pipe making is much easier said than done. And again...Character!
Haven't noticed too many offering an opinion on the tight stem. I don't have anything better to offer than cortez. From your post, it sounds like the stem is removable with care. I would simply continue to handle it with care or try to work it a little just by gently twisting it around more.
I'm not sure I would want to try anything like the olive oil, as I think it may soak into the shank and cause the wood to swell a little (making the fit even tighter). I haven't ever tried that...so I don't know if it does or not, just seems to me that it could.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Excellent looking pipe. Hope it smokes as well as it looks for you. Also, welcome aboard. Hope you find many more great looking pipes to add to this one. As you can see, there is alot of info we can offer. Hope to see more posts and pics of your additional pipes over time.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Onizuka,
I congratulate you on such a fine acquisition.

It's absolutely gorgeous.
As for "easing" the stem, you might try just a touch of bees wax.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Cortez wrote:

I read somewhere that shallow dings can be relieved by swelling the wood with steam.
I think it involves something with a drop of water and doing something like the 1:20 point in the video. (Though maybe with a soldering iron.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mdzVRyDSc

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That's a real beauty ! Some pencil lead on the tenon will do wonders to free up the stem. Just scribble the tenon all round and lay on a light coat of graphite (Pencil lead is graphite not lead )

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks guys, I contacted the seller and he was probably the kindest eBayer I've ever bought from and he was able to help me out. Let me know if you want his eBay ID, he's got lots of cool stuff for sale.
I'll also be trying out the #2 pencil trick - I did some reading on it last night and just forgot to post about it. Apparently, beeswax is good for tightening the stem to the shank on a loose fit. If the #2 pencil trick doesn't work, I'll be hitting up the hardware store for some fine sandpaper and doing some very careful slow sanding.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I almost offered the suggestion of using fine grit sandpaper (emery cloth), but thought you might feel a bit uneasy about it (first pipe and all...)

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'll probably hold off on the sanding until I get a few more pipes - so I can get a feel of what a healthy, so to speak, grip is :)

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
In removing the stem it's much better to just turn it in one direction, round and round. It's best to go counter clockwise. There are a lot of ways to handle a loose stem but probably the simpliest is to just rub the tendon on the edge of a candle to wax it. NEVER try to remove a stem when the pipe is hot! You might break it. And finally, if you search this forum you'll find a post I did about how to save a bundle of money on those balsa absorbers. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking...

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I use very fine grit wet and dry sandpaper on a large tenon and by fine I mean at least 800. It takes a time to do, but at least you don't take off too much and the minute scratches buff out in a couple of seconds. If it is not too tight I would suggest leaving it. It will eventually wear down, but as searock says, be sure NOT to take the stem out until it has full cooled down.

Lovely pipe by the way... loads of people suggest a Savinelli (or Peterson's) as their first pipe, so good luck with it.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
When I am forced to sand a tenon I use 1200 wet or dry paper, wet. It's slow but far less chance of having to expand the tenon due to over sanding

Status
Not open for further replies.