PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I’ve lived in KC for many years and been to St.Louis numerous times but never felt the need to go up in the arch. Telescopes’ assessment of STL was blunt and fairly accurate in my opinion but being from KC my opinion is a bit biased.

As for the Eiffel Tower - I lived in Paris for 2 years and never went up. The view and the action on the Trocadéro we’re enough for me.
I was blunt, wasn't I. I worried about that - St. Louis natives are fierce about protecting the image of their city.

The truth is, I am a midwesterner - to the annoyance of my kids and friends. KC - rivals for sure, but I tend to think Chicago is our main rival. The Cubs, right?

BBQ - well, you have us beat. But we have Pork Steaks, but then again, you have burnt ends, so...

The Art Museum, Forest Park, the Zoo...or in the minds of St. Louisians, the only ZOO that matters in the world.

Bush's Gardens, the Wineries in St. Charles County, and the Rivers... Real Rivers, the Missouri and the Mississippi. Only a Missourian knows that the Missouri really is longer than the Mississippi.

The Arch. Yeh, it's good. Go up in it you should. Sways it does.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked the Eiffel Tower because, though not hugely tall, Paris is a relatively low skyline, so you really look over the entire map of it, plus the people watching of world tourists and a few possible locals is rich. For an episodic series of elevator rides to the top, few tourist attractions can top the Empire State Building, those art deco elevator doors, and the windy blustery viewing areas, especially at night. The towers in Seattle (Space Needle) and the one in Toronto, CBB (?) were worth the effort. The Sears Tower in Chicago (now the Willis Tower) has a commanding view although the viewing area is a little sterile, but large. It too sways.

telescopes

For our readers from around the world who may be unfamiliar with St. Louis, its people and its culture, nothing is more divisive for St. Louis natives than questioning the idea that St. Louis isn't the greatest city in the world with the greatest and most friendliest people in the world. It isn't just the best place to live, it's the only choice any sane person would ever make. If you don't believe me, just ask them what High School they went to (not graduated from, but went to).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a college friend who grew up in suburban St. Louis, graduated from U.Mo. Journalism School, and hopscotched around in newspaper jobs in Little Rock, Poplar Bluff, Louisville, and finally for the long haul in Lextingon, Ky. He retired in Lexington for maybe ten years, and has just moved back to a different suburb near St. Louis near family. It's steamy by the river in the summer, but folks are quite patriotic to the place.

telescopes

I liked the Eiffel Tower because, though not hugely tall, Paris is a relatively low skyline, so you really look over the entire map of it, plus the people watching of world tourists and a few possible locals is rich. For an episodic series of elevator rides to the top, few tourist attractions can top the Empire State Building, those art deco elevator doors, and the windy blustery viewing areas, especially at night. The towers in Seattle (Space Needle) and the one in Toronto, CBB (?) were worth the effort. The Sears Tower in Chicago (now the Willis Tower) has a commanding view although the viewing area is a little sterile, but large. It too sways.
Willis Tower? Naming rights.... who needs them. It will always be the Sears Tower, right? What's next, rename the John Hancock building?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have been to the top of the Sears/ Willis Tower in Chicago - my son was doing handstands on the glass floored photo op area. I on the other hand was nearly paralyzed with fear. Great view - not fun for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, crazy name changes. The Playboy Building, if that is still it's name, used to be the Prudential (insurance) Building. The classiest building in the Loop, if it has been maintained, is the Field Building, once the tallest building in Chicago, just lavish with stone work on every floor of offices. No one would build one like that now, for cost effectiveness. Then there's the furniture mart, that belonged to Joe Kennedy, homely but acres of floor space, if it is still in use.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I collect 50's Modern stuff and Eero Saarinen is one of my absolute favorite designers. I have several of his pieces along with 4 bookcases from his father Eliel Saarinen.

Eero designed the SL Arch, Dulles Airport and TWA NY NY. Started as a designer for Herman Miller. Was famous for a bunch of furniture, the Womb Chair is probably his most famous...

eero-saarinen-womb-chair-509250.jpg

Reactions: LotusEater

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I couldn't have named the architect of the arch, so I'm glad to know that. I wonder how far into the engineering he actually got, or if he did the design and others worked out the execution. All architects are supposed to know the engineering, and even work it out completely in some cases. The arch is quite an elaborate project, with the aerodynamics of its swaying and the fluctuating weight of the human load both in viewing areas and in the circular elevator cars. I like the chair and footrest. It looks decidedly comfortable, unlike some of the Frank Lloyd Wright furniture that looks not at all comfortable.

telescopes

The arch is ground zero for earthquakes, zombies, nuclear fallout, and every other dystopian nightmare. Don't you people watch movies?
East St. Louis has been a dystopian nightmare for the last 70 years. No movie needed. St. Louis isn't that far behind. By the way, I doubt that most Americans have any idea that East St. Louis exists or just what type of nightmare it is. Detroit, Compton, any place in New Jersey, they all are in line to learn from that city what Hell wishes it could be. You have no idea.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
East St. Louis has been a dystopian nightmare for the last 70 years. No movie needed. St. Louis isn't that far behind. By the way, I doubt that most Americans have any idea that East St. Louis exists or just what type of nightmare it is. Detroit, Compton, any place in New Jersey, they all are in line to learn from that city what Hell wishes it could be. You have no idea.
A dear friend of mine recently moved home to his roots after a second divorce and living out here in the West for the last 30 years is now in the Cape. His parents and two siblings are there. I guess I can scratch off heading up North if I get out for a visit, you've convinced me. My buddy is well educated and I get the pleasure of ridiculing him about his decision to move back there.

I've often wondered and had many a laugh at his descriptions of his environs from his youth. Every time I had the pleasure of meeting his brothers during their visits out here it was always a laugh riot. I miss him and want to get out there soon, even more so now as I am completely intrigued having not spent time in the Midwest.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Yeah, crazy name changes. The Playboy Building, if that is still it's name, used to be the Prudential (insurance) Building. The classiest building in the Loop, if it has been maintained, is the Field Building, once the tallest building in Chicago, just lavish with stone work on every floor of offices. No one would build one like that now, for cost effectiveness. Then there's the furniture mart, that belonged to Joe Kennedy, homely but acres of floor space, if it is still in use.
That amused me. I used to work for Prudential Assurance (the UK company with absolutely no connection to Prudential Insurance other than that the Insurance company was name after the Assurance company because the founder was so impressed with the way the UK one worked - 19th Century).

Our legal department moved to a new - to them - building in Soho square. At the time me and my colleagues found it amusing that the "Solicitors Dept" to give it it's proper name was located in the centre of what used to be the red light district and home to solicitors of a different nature (as far as I could tell the irony of this was completely missed by the legal people...).

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Had the misfortune of traveling there for football. Funny, how that’s their big advantage: take upstate teams, shove them on a bus for 6 hours, then play the game. Just track their IHSA success, when they travel north, they lose, you travel south, they roll.
St. Louis isn’t much better, but that’s like comparing an outhouse and a Waffle House toilet....... St Louis is slightly better.
It used to be great for cheap hockey tickets though. Seeing a Hawks game in Chicago was running $210 for lower level (much more expensive now), whereas I could jump on Amtrak, go to St Louis, and sit on THE GLASS, for $79. But walking from the train station to the hockey arena was sketchy.
Chi town is no great shakes either though; and if you’re ever traveling south on 94 towards Indiana DO NOT exit at Altgeld Gardens.... there’s a reason there’s only one Entry/Exit road. Cops don’t go in there without Swat team backup. Went to school with a kid that was in the 4CH (four corners hustlers) and even HE wouldn’t dare go into AG.
I can name sketchy (being generous) neighborhoods in most cities though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the most revered professors in the University of Missouri School of Journalism was Tom Duffy, who I don't believe had a college degree, but had an advanced education in journalism through a long newspaper career in East St. Louis. He had tales to tell, and shared some of them with his students. One of the truly good guys.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I spent three great years in StLouis and have a real soft spot for the place.

Unlike my native Chicago, which has made itself into "The Capitol of the Midwest" (by screwing St Louis in a railroad deal) and is full of ambition and pretention - everyone in st Louis wants to be there. The local knowledge is deep and authentic. So is the attendant parochialism and inferiority complex, tho.

But my tastes in places are very shaped by my upbringing. I'm most comfortable in crumbling brick cities of neighborhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.