PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About 12 years ago, my wife and I stopped in St. Louis and took the tour to the top of the Gateway to the West St. Louis arch. It's a great view of the Mississippi River and the city, once you get used to the fact that it sways in the wind by design. The elevators have to wheel up the arch, so they aren't little boxes, but feel more like laundry dryer drums enlarged and formed to seat people on either side. Extremely large people and anyone with claustrophobia might think twice, but the ventilation is pretty good, and it has the feel of an amusement park ride. If you are in St. Louis and have the time, it's a fun attraction, along with the museum at the base for local history and some interesting exhibits, which might console anyone who isn't willing to get into the laundry dryer drum.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My parents took my brother and I to the Gateway Arch in the early 70's. My parents didn't want to ride to the top, so my brother and I rode the tram to the top without them.

It's been 50 years since that trip. I need to return and do it again.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I went up about 45 years ago, but that's it. You do get a wonderful view around St. Louis, but if you don't much like heights its a bit unnerving.

Reactions: STP

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Never been to St. Louis, not even the States but back in the 80's myself and then girlfriend Mary went to Paris. We visited many places including the Eifel Tower. Mary said we should go up the tower on one of the tours they did but I was determined I wasn't going up as I have a deep fear of heights.

We had an unholy row right under the tower with me saying "you go up, I'll wait here" but she insisted we both go. Needless to say neither of us went up the tower :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've driven past the arch, but never had time to visit.

My father and I climbed the Washington Monument in DC when I was a young boy. I don't believe they let visitors use the stairs any more. My younger brother and mother took the elevator. It was also a bit claustrophobic.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Never been to St. Louis, not even the States but back in the 80's myself and then girlfriend Mary went to Paris. We visited many places including the Eifel Tower. Mary said we should go up the tower on one of the tours they did but I was determined I wasn't going up as I have a deep fear of heights.

We had an unholy row right under the tower with me saying "you go up, I'll wait here" but she insisted we both go. Needless to say neither of us went up the tower :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.
Yeh, I had a fight with my wife under the Eiffel Tower as well. Interestingly, the Paris City Hall and the City Hall of St. Louis are identical as the one in St. Louie is a copy of the one in Paris.

Reactions: STP and LotusEater

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey

Regards,

Jay.
My wife hates heights but she insisted on going up the Eiffel tower with me (and she was glad she did althoug very relieved when she was back on the ground!). She didn't go up York Minster when we visited it though. She won't do cable cars and even the mention of a chair lift makes her quiver (hence I always went skiing without her).

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Given the current cultural penchant for re-examining our history (for good and for ill), I would guess that "The Museum of Westward Expansion" underneath the arch has undergone a few changes since some of y'all last saw it.

Reactions: STP

telescopes

I'm a bit late in responding to this thread. Native born and bread in St. Louis native here.

Let me be honest - St. Louis is a shit-hole of a city and stinks like the arm pit of the nation. The city across the river, East St. Louis smells like the nation's asshole.

That said, I love St. Louis. The foods, restaurants, and some of its cultural centers are among the best in the nation. Some of the neighborhoods represent architectural heritages that hold their own with any of our great cities - in the world.

To the southwest, the Ozarks roll up onto the surrounding counties and offer eye-stunning places to live that fully embrace living surrounded by nature.

And yet, it is one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States. The people are parochial - that is being kind, and so many of them live less than 3 or four miles from their place of birth. It says something about them that a get-away vacation is Lake of the Ozarks.

Racism. Mississippi might be able to teach them a thing or two about it, but it would be a short lesson at best.

If you are a St. Louis native or live there, yes, I know you love it. I do to. Yeh, yeh, yeh, greatest city in the world, nicest people, best place to live.... I drank the koolaid, too.

But if you're honest, and you know you are... just between you and me, you know I am right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of being wary of heights, when I was in London, I just had to go up the dome at St. Pauls. You begin by mounting to a balcony closer to the paintings on the inside of the dome. Then you climb and climb stairs to an outdoor overlook that is fairly roomy. Then after a rest from climbing and minutes to steel your resolve, you mount through free hanging helical stairways in the open space under the dome to the tight little circular balcony near the top of the dome. You can see a lot of London from there, with sweaty palms. After that, the Tate Gallery with lots of calming art.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . Native born and bread in St. Louis native here.

Let me be honest - St. Louis is a shit-hole of a city . . . . with any of our great cities - in the world . . . . And yet, it is one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States. The people are parochial - that is being kind, . . . .Racism. Mississippi might be able to teach them a thing or two about it, but it would be a short lesson at best. . . . just between you and me, you know I am right.
@telescopes, thank you! You are in my top ten members to read. I love the way your write. I usually read your posts two or three times and pause because they often prompt me to reflect or smile or chuckle and occasionally laugh aloud. Again, thank you! Please take care of yourself and that great mind of your's!

On another topic--I read the above posts with interest and more than one mention the fear of heights. I have some of this anxiety, worst for me are driving over tall bridges or highly elevated traffic "mix-masters" (but my heart will race driving in a long tunnel, too). Anyone else?

BTW--the last year or two, I find myself relaxing more when smoking my pipe while driving in these circumstances that usually give me the "willies." I wonder what the factors are that contribute to this, if there's something physiological or chemical along with the psychological issues? Maybe I'm puffing like an old train and the smoke clouds my vision to my surrounding LOL :))))

kindest regards this morning to one an all,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I agree with telescopes on his assessment of St Louis. One time while visiting, we took the children up the arch. If you're there looking for something to do, perhaps not a bad thing but I sure would not go out of the way to do the arch thing.
@hoosierpipe guy Knows His Shit! Can I be one of your kids--adopt me, Mark-please?? I bet growing up as one of your kids was great and a real Hoot! :)). Hope your day's super!!
LOL
mike

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’ve lived in KC for many years and been to St.Louis numerous times but never felt the need to go up in the arch. Telescopes’ assessment of STL was blunt and fairly accurate in my opinion but being from KC my opinion is a bit biased.

As for the Eiffel Tower - I lived in Paris for 2 years and never went up. The view and the action on the Trocadéro we’re enough for me.

telescopes

@telescopes, thank you! You are in my top ten members to read. I love the way your write. I usually read your posts two or three times and pause because they often prompt me to reflect or smile or chuckle and occasionally laugh aloud. Again, thank you! Please take care of yourself and that great mind of your's!

On another topic--I read the above posts with interest and more than one mention the fear of heights. I have some of this anxiety, worst for me are driving over tall bridges or highly elevated traffic "mix-masters" (but my heart will race driving in a long tunnel, too). Anyone else?

BTW--the last year or two, I find myself relaxing more when smoking my pipe while driving in these circumstances that usually give me the "willies." I wonder what the factors are that contribute to this, if there's something physiological or chemical along with the psychological issues? Maybe I'm puffing like an old train and the smoke clouds my vision to my surrounding LOL :))))

kindest regards this morning to one an all,
mike
Thank you for the kind words. I tend to get carried away with my writing and I have the annoying habit of being amused by my own jokes. I am not sure that these are endearing qualities.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I agree with telescopes on his assessment of St Louis. One time while visiting, we took the children up the arch. If you're there looking for something to do, perhaps not a bad thing but I sure would not go out of the way to do the arch thing.
I agree with hoosierguy the arch isn’t a can’t miss attraction.
My son and his friends always enjoyed the City Museum in STL. If you are looking for something to do with kids it is in my opinion a better choice than the arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.