Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
A fella recently asked me how long i've been at this pipe smoking thing.I told him.Then I guess he just wanted to be a smart butt.He asked me if I had been doing it the right way all those years..YES was my answer.In my opinion there is no official right way to smoke a pipe.My guess is that any one whose been at this thing for any length of time if asked will tell you that the right way to smoke pipes is which ever way works best for the individual.Personally after all the years I don't even think about it.I just do it.It bothers me that some young pipe smokers feel pressured to do it according to some pre-ordained method.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
i concur puffy. Do what works for you(the smoker)but some times some sage advice from a vet to a novice can lead to a more enjoyable smoke

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I have a favorite quote from Mark Twain that I like to share with people like this fella. "It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear to be an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt". Poor folks generally think I'm trying to give them a compliment.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I prefer doing things the left way. I do, however, like seeing how other people do things and then putting my own twist on it. Everything is worth trying once.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I suppose there is a wrong way to smoke a pipe. If you are smoking your pipe and it gets so hot it melts the stem and wax is dripping from it, that's just wrong!
It is?!?!? Oh, #&$% I think I MIGHT have been doing this all wrong...

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Tobacco in big end. Little end in mouth. Light big end. Ain't rocket science for sure!
So, great, I thought the melting stem and dripping wax were my only issues!! I REALLY got off on the wrong track with this whole pipe smoking thing and what is this tobacco you speak of, you say it goes into the pipe somehow?!?!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like the old codger way of doing things... its tried and true...
What is this codger method you speak of?? LOL :rofl:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's the right way BY JINGO!

oldcodger.jpg

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
:laughat:Here's the clip thekiltedchaplain is refering to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdI6dKtd34&feature=youtu.be
That's a hoot, makes you wonder what kind of "tobacco" they're smoking. :rofl:

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
>>>I like the old codger way of doing things... its tried and true...>>>
>>>What is this codger method you speak of?? LOL>>>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dip bowl in pouch--ram in tobacco--place stem in mouth--light tobacco in bowl--puff --
that's a pretty close paraphrase :wink:

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
thekiltedchaplin and others i watch top gear regularly and i must say that was soooo funny :rofl: clarkson is a prat most of the time but that's the show and makes for fun.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
thekiltedchaplain.....your welcome.
Cyndi......the left way, probably best reserved for English blends, the right way for American. :lol:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
You guys should forgive the youth. They are taught now days an orthodoxy in all things. I build buildings for a living and often find engineering problems with the drawings. I had to figure out a system for teaching these new up and comers to deal with these in the field. I had to develop an orthodoxy for them to be able to work out these problems. Common sense is trained out of them. They teach construction in college now

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I haven't yet paid more than $15 for a pipe and I'm having a blast! I listen as much as I can to anyone on here who has smoked longer than me, which is just about everybody. Saved me a world of hurt and made my experience 100x better!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Is there a wrong way? Not if Your enjoying what Your doing and it's not hurting anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.