PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,
I have a Dunhill Don that I use for smoking non-aromatics. This pipe has been nothing but trouble. The bowl diameter is a little over 3/4 of an inch and is about 1 3/4 of an inch in depth. I have tried packing the pipe loose, tight, in-between and yet I cannot keep the pipe lit. Any thoughts on the issue? My tobacco isn't too moist nor is it dry. I am vexed by this pipe....

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
If it's a 'dead' pipe, I'd like to offer my services. You see I run a pipe funeral home, and I'd be happy to waive my usual fee. Just wrap her up and send her to me USPS priority, and I'll make sure that she is well taken care of. Embossed memorial book included. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go along with the not dry enough theory. You could also try it with various cuts, to see if something works. I take it you are smoking some blends that burn fine in other pipes but not in this one. It would be a Dunhill.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I don't have any problem pipes. I occasionally run across a problem pipe but it promptly moves into the "formerly owned problem pipe" category. Life is too short for crappy smokes.
One hundred percent true. Pipes are beautiful objects but they are also utilitarian objects. If the don't perform you can put them on your shelf and gaze at them with lament or you can move on. I say move on.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, I had a recently made Freehand cob pipe that had an obstruction in the stem as therefore, it didn't smoke well or easy. I used compressed air (if you don't have a compressor, use those cans for cleaning equipment with the straw attached).

I looked at the Dunhll Don shape and noticed the stem. Perhaps it just needs more clearing. Oh, would there be a filter ??

I see no reason to throw a pipe in the trash.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Had a good dinner with plenty of Guinness. So, let's get down to the possible problems. There really are only two possible issues. 1. The pipe has a defect. You can check this with a flashlight and a pipe cleaner. 2. The person smoking the pipe thinks that the pipe is messed up when it's smoker's lack of technique. This can be verified by if the smoker has any issues with other pipes. It's simple task to find where the fault is at. If it's dead man's pipe, you are SOL. If the issue is with your technique, you can improve them.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Did you but it new or as an estate ?
If it was bought new take it back to the shop and get a refund.
If it was an estate, then you may need to clean up the internals thoroughly

Reactions: chopper