PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Try another trench? Someone is bound to have a smokeable pipe. Farnsworth pulled a nice briar off a dead Jerry last week. Had a bit of a bullet hole in it though. That's why I prefer my Royal Engineers trench club...

Oh wait, wrong timeline. Sorry guys. Did OP try more fire?

Reactions: LikeDadDid

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Don't take this the wrong way Finian but your post made me feel a bit better.

You see I bid on a rather nice looking Dunhill Dublin estate that was at $20 with a few days to go on the auction, leaving a high bid of $105.
When I checked the next day it was over $300.

Reading your post reminded me that it's just a pipe with a fancy name. I don't really need a Dunhill because apart from the white dot, they're really no different to other well crafted briars.
Now I'm content to smoke my not so fancy pipes in my rotation which are all very good smokers.

Moisture could be an issue but if your baccy smokes fine in your other pipes then that would indicate that the pipe is the problem.
If that is the case then I'd be looking at the draught hole which might be too small, restricting air flow.
If you bought it as an estate the draught hole might have some hardened gunk that needs cleaning out [soak with isopropyl or grain alcohol overnight then clean it out]

Reactions: OzPiper

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I have a problem pipe myself. It's a Tim West, and it looks fantastic. I keep trying to sell it, but when I keep saying how much I hate it no one wants to buy it.

Maybe someone here would like to trade for it. We can start an "it's not you, it's me" thread.

Aug 1, 2012
I have a problem pipe myself. It's a Tim West, and it looks fantastic. I keep trying to sell it, but when I keep saying how much I hate it no one wants to buy it.

Maybe someone here would like to trade for it. We can start an "it's not you, it's me" thread.
I wonder if it's the same one I used to own. It was a beautiful pipe but smoked like crap. I warned the buyer and it went back up for sale in a very short time. The other Tim West I had smoked great...I just have no idea where it went.

• Haha

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's a dead pipe?
One that, for reasons unknown to me, just doesn't bring the flavors out, no matter what you put in that pipe, no matter how you prepare the tobacco. You do the same thing that works with your other pipes and the results are very muted with that one pipe. I figure that it has to be something off with the internals, maybe something off in the chamber drilling, and I've read of one guy who redrilled the airway and declared that his dead pipe now worked well. I've had two, in nearly 50 years of smoking pipes, where everything I put in them tasted flat no matter what. For the most part, all pipes smoke pretty much alike.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
I have a vintage Ben Wade pot with an absurd bowl diameter and I can never get a good smoke out of it.

Also been kind of sad with my two Winslows. They're two of my nicer pipes and I've never been able to get smooth smokes out of them. Both beautiful but I rarely grab them because of this.

• Wow