PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just now seeing this... I am a peace loving guy, not a violent bone in my body, but if forum members declaimed war on Youtubers, for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind throwing a few punches in the face to those guys... jus' say'n... puffy
Well, there's rather a big conflict in the above statement!

While I am not a fan of YouTubers, they serve a real and useful service to the pipe community and many others. I don't watch a how-to video unless it's under 3 minutes, or a very complex situation,

While I am not a fan of YouTubers, they serve a real and useful service to the pipe community and many others. I don't watch a how-to video unless it's under 3 minutes, or a very complex situation,
I am not an aficionado of the youtube PSC, so I am not familiar with all of them. But, the ones that I have watched just grate on my nerves. Besides... I couldn't hit a cob smoker, because I feel sorry for homeless people. That would just be wrong on so many levels. puffy

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just now seeing this... I am a peace loving guy, not a violent bone in my body, but if forum members declaimed war on Youtubers, for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind throwing a few punches in the face to those guys... jus' say'n... puffy

And, herein is partly explained the crux of the YouTube pipe video problem.

It's not the tech, it's the use of it. Videos like those made by George Dibos show the value of YouTube as a medium for sharing information. George's repair videos are packed with information and no time is wasted.

By contrast, the vast majority of YouTube fanboy videos are long, rambling, streams of semi consciousness from people with little mental training, and it clearly shows. They're a form of masturbation, 'cause the video largely exists for the pleasure of its maker. Awareness for the audience is not much in evidence. These often take anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes to supply 1 minute of info. The rest is the sound of one hand clapping.

Fortunately, there are a couple of YouTube videographers who make a solid attempt to supply help to their audience, and while the results aren't visually professional, the contents are helpful and valuable.

YouTube has the capacity to provide a significant benefit to the pipe smoking community. It just needs a MUCH better grade of presenters than it has currently.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
If there is something better than pipe tobacco, to fill the pipe, you can recommend it here in the forum.
I am truly sorry if you too offense to my post. I was just poking gentle fun at the statement you made…. because I do not really understand what you were meaning in the post:

“ Moth-eaten wooden rocking chairs, with stinky mule-smelling cogin, against synthetic leather armchairs with hydraulics and built-in heater, with michelin wet wheels.”

I looked up “cogin” and it seems to mean….. a corner of a crystal formed by the intersection of three or more faces at a point. And, Michelin’s to me suggest “tires”. So, for me what you wrote seemed to be a kind of “stream of consciousness” sort of statement…. but it’s meaning alluded me.

So, again…. I meant no offense. In a back-handed way I suppose…. I was just asking….. “What are you suggesting?”…. because it was truly unclear to me.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I am truly sorry if you too offense to my post. I was just poking gentle fun at the statement you made…. because I do not really understand what you were meaning in the post:

“ Moth-eaten wooden rocking chairs, with stinky mule-smelling cogin, against synthetic leather armchairs with hydraulics and built-in heater, with michelin wet wheels.”

I looked up “cogin” and it seems to mean….. a corner of a crystal formed by the intersection of three or more faces at a point. And, Michelin’s to me suggest “tires”. So, for me what you wrote seemed to be a kind of “stream of consciousness” sort of statement…. but it’s meaning alluded me.

So, again…. I meant no offense. In a back-handed way I suppose…. I was just asking….. “What are you suggesting?”…. because it was truly unclear to me.
Thank you for your clarification.I didn't understand why you answered me like that, if it was just a funny comment that didn't offend anyone. Yes, it is true that I did not like your answer very much, but everything is clarified and I thank you for your honesty.I'm glad you didn't make any comments with bad intentions. I made a mistranslation and wrote cogin, when I meant to write, stinky cushion with mule smell. I wish you a happy weekend my friend.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Moth-eaten wooden rocking chairs, with stinking mule-smelling cushions, against synthetic leather seats with hydraulic system and built-in heater, with michelin wheels, for aggressive driving, fleeing from the wife, through the corners of the house.
The rockers will win ! Nothing like a well made rocker. Better for you too ! Some things can't be improved upon. And those cushions were often horsehair and lasted near forever. puffy

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thank you for your clarification.I didn't understand why you answered me like that, if it was just a funny comment that didn't offend anyone. Yes, it is true that I did not like your answer very much, but everything is clarified and I thank you for your honesty.I'm glad you didn't make any comments with bad intentions. I made a mistranslation and wrote cogin, when I meant to write, stinky cushion with mule smell. I wish you a happy weekend my friend.
I'm glad we were able to avoid a Pipe Smoker War between the two of you.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot
Status
Not open for further replies.