PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
my sandblast has been stuck in Athens waiting to be presented Greek Customs for 10 days so far,
Mind you that is nothing as I have another pipe that has been over 1 month since being unloaded and 12 days since being presented to Customs.
both will get stung for import duties of 23% plus a handling charge:(
My rusticated came from Ireland, my biggest fear was it would be processed at O'Hare in Chicago (where things go to die in my experience), luckily the next posting after Heathrow was New York and showing out of there and on its way - should arrive Saturday, so I couldn't even fret about it being in New York (not knowing anything for several days was better than wondering what was happening to it there).

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
UPDATE! I received my two 4ab’s. I wasn’t aware that I would have to polish my own ferrules. My heritage even has a small dent in the ferrule which I am not too happy about. My terracotta briar has a rough polish with a couple polish wheel scrapes. I am glad they arrived, but gees the blemishes kind of make it bitter sweet. View attachment 114369View attachment 114371View attachment 114372

You actually got lucky.

Both my terracotta and my Heritage had dull smudgy areas below the ferrule, because someone had polished them. One came from SP and the other from GQ Tobacco, so at some point they began consistently polishing them. The GQ (Heritage) still had grey silver polish on the back of the bowl and the front of the shank. Anyone who has ever polished a ferrule knows that silver polish is death to wood, and whoever did these was not careful.

So you're lucky :) Also, as an owner of a Terracotta and a Heritage (which was the initial plan), I think you're lucky in that regard as well - two tremendous stain choices. A Natural would have been nice, but let's face it - Peterson no longer can obtain briar that this grade would have required in the past, and the cost is pretty damned high. Besides, they sold all but one to their preferred customers before the big release.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You actually got lucky.

Both my terracotta and my Heritage had dull smudgy areas below the ferrule, because someone had polished them. One came from SP and the other from GQ Tobacco, so at some point they began consistently polishing them. The GQ (Heritage) still had grey silver polish on the back of the bowl and the front of the shank. Anyone who has ever polished a ferrule knows that silver polish is death to wood, and whoever did these was not careful.

So you're lucky :) Also, as an owner of a Terracotta and a Heritage (which was the initial plan), I think you're lucky in that regard as well - two tremendous stain choices. A Natural would have been nice, but let's face it - Peterson no longer can obtain briar that this grade would have required in the past, and the cost is pretty damned high. Besides, they sold all but one to their preferred customers before the big release.
My Heritage had a tiny bit of stain on the silver, polished right up, and the Terracotta needed some polishing as well - other than that, perfect. Rusticated from Ireland is on a local postal delivery truck at this very moment so we'll see how it stacks up! I'll have my sentry at the window - he gets all wound up when delivery folks approach the house!5BCFA495-DBE2-4F2D-B34F-8B21ED615FE8_1_201_a.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
My Heritage had a tiny bit of stain on the silver, polished right up, and the Terracotta needed some polishing as well - other than that, perfect. Rusticated from Ireland is on a local postal delivery truck at this very moment so we'll see how it stacks up! I'll have my sentry at the window - he gets all wound up when delivery folks approach the house!View attachment 115504

My coonhound is horrible about USPS and UPS delivery guys. But the paper guy puts the newspaper inside our screen door and my boy doesn't even budge, despite the ruckus. Dogs are very strange.

The people I know who got rusticated ones love them. Rustication is such a personal preference thing, even on artisan pipes. I hope you like it.

So you ordered directly from Peterson? I'm very curious how many Naturals they made, and also would like to see the numbering for each type. I think the Heritage ones were spread out - both early and late - but perhaps it was even more random.

Aren't these great smokers? They also feel very good in the hand. I'm having a hard time not just smoking the POY exclusively.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My coonhound is horrible about USPS and UPS delivery guys. But the paper guy puts the newspaper inside our screen door and my boy doesn't even budge, despite the ruckus. Dogs are very strange.

The people I know who got rusticated ones love them. Rustication is such a personal preference thing, even on artisan pipes. I hope you like it.

So you ordered directly from Peterson? I'm very curious how many Naturals they made, and also would like to see the numbering for each type. I think the Heritage ones were spread out - both early and late - but perhaps it was even more random.

Aren't these great smokers? They also feel very good in the hand. I'm having a hard time not just smoking the POY exclusively.
I got it from SP Europe, so it came from Dublin. I've been threatening to smoke one, but just couldn't pull the trigger until all were safely in hand - which was looking slightly iffy until within the last week and then it's all come together! I've got the No. 515 ready, the Heritage (very much like @jiminks) will see nothing but the No. 515, and could be later today, could be tomorrow - lots of Xmas stuff to do around the house today so may not have an hour or two to be idle and retain what popularity I have with my better half!

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
mport duties of 23%
You're lucky!

Brazil is 60% import duty the 18% VAT on total(cost +duty +shipping +plus_any_other miscellaneous_fees_they_can_think_off)

...and unfortunately for some reason all packages from Smoking Pipes land in Rio (no idea why, all other lands in Curitiba); from what you've posted I think Rio and Athens are operating to the same protocols!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
You're lucky!

Brazil is 60% import duty the 18% VAT on total(cost +duty +shipping +plus_any_other miscellaneous_fees_they_can_think_off)

...and unfortunately for some reason all packages from Smoking Pipes land in Rio (no idea why, all other lands in Curitiba); from what you've posted I think Rio and Athens are operating to the same protocols!
I expressed it badly the 23% is VAT ,Athens is also like yours taxes on total including postal cost ,any insurance etc plus handling fee variable depending on total values.
I believe import of tobacco and alcohol via post is not allowed although personal allowance when you travel is ok upto 1 kg within Europe,250 gr from elsewhere

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I got it from SP Europe, so it came from Dublin. I've been threatening to smoke one, but just couldn't pull the trigger until all were safely in hand - which was looking slightly iffy until within the last week and then it's all come together! I've got the No. 515 ready, the Heritage (very much like @jiminks) will see nothing but the No. 515, and could be later today, could be tomorrow - lots of Xmas stuff to do around the house today so may not have an hour or two to be idle and retain what popularity I have with my better half!

Unless you like aromatics, I would get a 1930's 309 and smoke 515 in it while watching a Sherlock Holmes movie - it will be closer to the pipe Rathbone smoked, other than the saddle, and you won't ghost your 2021 POY.

Since Sherlock Holmes was fictional, and the 2021 POY is fictional in a way, as it was made in 2021, not the 1930's, I'm smoking what I've read is the most similar to what the fictional SH would have smoked - Sutliff 507-S. But any VA is allowed in my 2021 POYs.

I would love to hear corrections on the '507 stoved' thing.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Unless you like aromatics, I would get a 1930's 309 and smoke 515 in it while watching a Sherlock Holmes movie - it will be closer to the pipe Rathbone smoked, other than the saddle, and you won't ghost your 2021 POY.

Since Sherlock Holmes was fictional, and the 2021 POY is fictional in a way, as it was made in 2021, not the 1930's, I'm smoking what I've read is the most similar to what the fictional SH would have smoked - Sutliff 507-S. But any VA is allowed in my 2021 POYs.

I would love to hear corrections on the '507 stoved' thing.
How is a 309 closer?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A friend said I really didn't have the complete 4AB set because I didn't get the regular sandblast when I got the Premium Sandblast. M'lady bought the extra one, unsmoked, that he had for a late Valentine's Day present, so I do have them all, now! :)

4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg
7_set.jpg

Attachments

• 4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg
    4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2