PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I have no idea what happened to the last 20 or so years. I still think it's 2000 lol. Now its already 2020 oops 2022 wtf?.All my heroes are old or dead. When I was younger time seemed endless. One year was a long time. Even in my 20s 30s 40s time seemed long but lately... it's streaming by like Niagara Falls. If only I could go back...

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I don't regret the past. I only wished the future wouldn't come so quickly. I remember a few years ago, I went to the bathroom to shave. I was still a little sleepy and I looked up and wondered when we got the picture of my Grandpa for the bathroom. Holy Shit!! it was me looking in the mirror. I had become my Grandfather and I looked just like him. I got pictures out of him at about my age and if you weren't paying attention you couldn't tell us apart. Well, that's alright, he was a distinguished looking old character. It seems like yesterday I was graduating from college and now I look like Grandpa. Amazing what 40+ years can do.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I messed it up somehow, it was for @tklee, must be old age setting in!
I got it, don't worry ?
Buddhism made a lot of sense to me once I was open to learning about it. My favorite dharma teacher is Gil Fronsdal and listening to his lectures gave me a lot of comfort at a low time. Have you ever seen The Buddha documentary narrated by Richard Gere? It's surprisingly good.
Nice! A lot of dharma teaching are very logical, and it's the philosophy of life. I follow the teaching of my Guru, who's a Tibetan monk from the Gaden monastry. I didn't watch the Buddha documentary by Richard Gere, now u tell me, I'm gonna watch it ? U know what is nice? The movie "Little Buddha" I've watched it many times, and I still like to watch it ?

Jan 27, 2020
I have no idea what happened to the last 20 or so years. I still think it's 2000 lol. Now its already 2020 oops 2022 wtf?.All my heroes are old or dead. When I was younger time seemed endless. One year was a long time. Even in my 20s 30s 40s time seemed long but lately... it's streaming by like Niagara Falls. If only I could go back...

I also feel like society has devolved at an accelerated rate since around 2010 due to social media. I mean in a way that you can't avoid even if you aren't on social media. Things have become so blasé it makes me feel older than I am.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Regrets? I'm sure I have some, but don't remember them nor do I what to think about them. I lived full life filled with fun and games. Have a good family and dogs. Do wish my body's little healthier, but it's price I paid for doing fun things. It's gotta wear out sooner or later. At least I still look under 20. Don't really feel 54, but too many things falling apart. Can't hide genetics, hard drinking and doing stupid things that wear out the body.

Reactions: TheWhale13

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Told all of my kids that I DO NOT want grandkids. However, they may bring their dogs to stay with me all they want. I will gladly watch their dogs for weeks at a time. But, I have NO interest in changing diapers or even holding one of them sticky stinky things ever again.
So far, so good.

But, really…. as long as my kids are happy, I’m happy. Just no more f’n babies.
I hope you get 12 grandkids ??

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Oh, hell yes! It seems like just yesterday I was in my 30's and 40's, all of a sudden, I'm 63... and tomorrow I'll be 70. I'm always thinking like wtf... wait... I'm not ready to be this old... I still have things I want to do! Now, nobody wants to hire me and no women want to date me... cause I'm too old...
Ugh. Thanks man, I was in a good mood till now.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
At 58, I've hit that delightful age where I forget things that I shouldn't be forgetting. Like setting down my phone and leave home without it. Then I get out to the garage and realize its not with me so I go back in and find it only to misplace my keys. Unlike many, I would be entirely ok with going gently into that bald night (less maintenance) but unless I shave it all off, I have a full head of hair. The last few years I've been at that stage where my nose hair out grows my head hair. I thought of growing it out and starting a paint brush or broom factory with the excess us guys make but couldn't figure out the marketing. I didn't want to use something like "Pick our paint brushes so we don't have to pick our noses" but it just didn't flow. There is a tendency to think things were better in the good old days. I don't think the old days were better, just different. Imagine a life without the internet! (Oh sure, some will say they'd be fine without it yet post here daily) We didn't have COVID or AIDs when I was a kid, but then again, we didn't have anti-lock brakes, air bags, cell phones or home computers that did much of anything either. Two words sum up today being better than yesterday and those words are "Amazon Prime" for the win.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
11 grandchildren (four boys and 7 girls. I live near 5 of them and see them often. Two came over Monday. They know they can have hot chocolate, grilled cheese sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, and Windmill cookies. Plus, there are drinks in the old garage refrigerator.

We camp and paddle whitewater in the Summer. Ride bikes and go to the beach. I can't imagine not having them. They have indeed enriched my life. Also, love to target shoot with the bb guns.

As far as forgetting, I do the same and have to go back inside, but the children forget stuff to, so it is not age. For me its more not being mindful. I was told a few years back that dementia is not forgetting your phone, but when shown a phone, you no longer know what it is.

Yes, I remember the days of checking email at night and before that the call in to a voice mail system to communicate with the company and managers. Rember this, "hello you have 15 new voicemail messages"? And, you're at a pay phone...LOL!!

Jan 27, 2020
Yea, Amazon Prime is great for Jeff Bezos. I'd rather just go to a hardware store to buy an extension cord or flower pot if most of them hadn't gone out of business.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I like Amazon and eBay for many reasons, but mostly because I don't have to drive all over trying to find what I need or want. There is a 100-year-old hardware store here that I support whenever possible, but at times I \have to go to Home Depot. When it comes to garden supplies, there is a wonderful nursery nearby.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I like Amazon and eBay for many reasons, but mostly because I don't have to drive all over trying to find what I need or want. There is a 100-year-old hardware store here that I support whenever possible, but at times I \have to go to Home Depot. When it comes to garden supplies, there is a wonderful nursery nearby.
I like the local hardware store but have to shop there on their schedule and not mine - they close at six pm. We have the big box hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes but often they show as having something online but don't have it when you walk in the door. Walmart is just a big joke.

This Christmas season was made even worse because of all the shipping delays. Our local Lowes didn't even have its usual seasonal Christmas section. When I went looking for replacement lights for the room, I could only find them on Amazon.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I like the local hardware store but have to shop there on their schedule and not mine - they close at six pm. We have the big box hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes but often they show as having something online but don't have it when you walk in the door. Walmart is just a big joke.

This Christmas season was made even worse because of all the shipping delays. Our local Lowes didn't even have its usual seasonal Christmas section. When I went looking for replacement lights for the room, I could only find them on Amazon.
You may already know, but Home Depot's web site, whichever store you choose, tells you which aisle and how may are in stock. You can also purchase the item and have it waiting when you arrive.