PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting story. The bit about patrons bringing their own stems to a tavern and affixing them to a rented bowl is new to me. I've never seen, nor heard of, a clay pipe with a detachable stem. I'd like to know the source for that.
Tavern pipes were available for a slight charge, and the proprietor would break off a bit of the stem after use, until the pipe was no longer serviceable. Between usages the pipe would get placed in the fire to clean out any dottle.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interesting story. The bit about patrons bringing their own stems to a tavern and affixing them to a rented bowl is new to me. I've never seen, nor heard of, a clay pipe with a detachable stem. I'd like to know the source for that.
Tavern pipes were available for a slight charge, and the proprietor would break off a bit of the stem after use, until the pipe was no longer serviceable. Between usages the pipe would get placed in the fire to clean out any dottle.
Clay pipes are fragile and cheap.
It would not make any sense to bring along your own stem.
And what are the means of attaching the stems to the bowls ?
I've seen lots of photos of retrieved/excavated clay pipes (complete and broken parts) but never any "connecting bits"

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
that's just not the case. It's an omission. It might not be germane to the point the author was making but it's pretty intrinsically linked. They're not going to cover everything but to say it's on par with the other things no mentioned is just really silly.
So he’s wrong if he doesn’t include injustices in his article?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So he’s wrong if he doesn’t include injustices in his article?
no but it's also not weird to point out the omission and to consider it an omission. Does that make sense. To me it makes the article feel overly romanticized and gives it more of a fantasy tone. You know kind of reminds me hearing people talk about how great the 80's were, while forgetting that sure that's true but there was some craptastic elements too and that perfect thing they're talking about just never fully existed.

Reactions: LotusEater

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
no but it's also not weird to point out the omission and to consider it an omission. Does that make sense. To me it makes the article feel overly romanticized and gives it more of a fantasy tone. You know kind of reminds me hearing people talk about how great the 80's were, while forgetting that sure that's true but there was some craptastic elements too and that perfect thing they're talking about just never fully existed.
@anotherbob Like I wouldn't really want to go back to a medieval society despite interest in the period as there was no health and hygiene, plague, war and overcrowded slum conditions.
With regard to the 80s there was great concern regarding nuclear disasters (such as Chernobyl), this inspired the post apocalyptic film Threads and anti nuclear protest songs like Enola Gay and Vienna.
All seemed to use the same atomic bomb footage!!!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
From the OP's linked article: "And, make no mistake, Virginia was a hotbed of tobacco leaf. Later, other states—notably North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky — joined the tobacco parade."

"The quick-growing demand for Rolfe's tobacco resulted in a huge need for cheap labor in Virginia. Due to the decreasing amount of indentured servants willing to immigrate to the states from England, the settlers in Virginia began importing massive amounts of slaves from West Africa. The amount of slaves in Chesapeake went from 100,000 to 1 million during the 17th century alone. "

OVERVIEW - SLAVERY IN THE TOBACCO INDUSTRY (weebly.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.