PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Did you ever get your "authentic" tobacco?
Tobacco in rope form, actually, has been around since the 1600s. I find Gawith and Hoggarth's ropes are actually quite nice in the smaller bowl of a clay. My favorite is the rum twist.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like smoking grousemoor in a clay, I get a kick out of the 'ye olde' match, and it generally makes me reach for a classic off the bookshelf too, Kipling or R.L Stevenson or something along those lines...

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Recently I watched Shane Ireland smoking/reviewing Tabac Manil's Le Petit Robin in clays... a smoke he seems to adore... so much so, I had to acquire some and try the same. Twas indeed very good! In the context of this post, it made me wonder if the whole Ardennes/Semois thing stretches back to the 1700's and if Franklin and the boys who checked out France etc might have had a shot at that as well. Just wondering meself about it. That superfine shag seemed like a natural for the smaller cutty-ish clay bowls and I think I also smelled history in it!!!

:puffy:

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Canon Plug is allegedly a very old blend - rumour has it dating from the English Civil War. Samuel Gawith's produce it now but how and when they acquired the recipe, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.