PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Oh, Maryland is air-cured, so that would work. I'm pretty sure it's available in bulk for blending.
Apparently there is some Virginia that is air-cured, but I believe it is used in cigarettes. Someone like Greg Pease or Russ Ouellette would know.

May 31, 2012
...yeah, I think most tobo was sun-cured/air-cured back then?
This page has some interesting data:

http://www.longwood.edu/staff/hardinds/tobacco/maps_and_graphs.htm
...and includes this bit:

Sun-cured tobacco may be the least important today, but it once ruled the Virginia economy. Sun-cured tobacco is a dark air-cured variety that I believe is the descendant of the tobacco known as "sweet-scented" during the colonial period...What makes sun-cured tobacco a likely candidate as heir to the sweet-scented legacy? First, it is a dark tobacco, just like sweet-scented. Second, it is cured in the same manner as sweet-scented was during the colonial period: by cutting the whole stalk, setting the cut plants out to dry in the sun, and by hanging the entire plant for air-curing. Third, it still is prized as a pipe tobacco in Europe. It is a shame that it is nearly extinct.
This pdf explains well how fire-curing came to be (due to damp conditions) and how eventually this led to the more controlled method of flue-curing...

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/g/k/c/gkc79h00/Sgkc79h00.pdf

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Oh, Maryland is air-cured, so that would work. I'm pretty sure it's available in bulk for blending.

Bulk blending Maryland is nowhere to be found. I have looked extensively for several months. If you find some, then please let me know. I've had pounds of whole leaf Maryland in my online shopping carts several times "just to try it".

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Re: Maryland, I'll have to look around. I thought Pipes and Cigars had it under their blending section, but I must have dreamed this.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I just double checked again. Unfortunately, alot of old (1960s or so) books on tobacco talk about going to the local shop and buying it in bulk to mix with various blends but it seems to fallen out of favor outside of an agent for Danish aros or in mixtures with a large number of components.

May 31, 2012
I found this by browsing the RYO boards:
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Maryland-609-MD609.htm
...not sure what qty:1 means? Just one leaf for $17 ?!?!? LOL

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This store mentions Maryland as an ingredient in many of their "hand blended" tobaccos. Presumably they have some plain Maryland on hand.
http://www.smokershavenwny.com/hand_blended.htm

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I found this by browsing the RYO boards:
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Maryland-609-MD609.htm
...not sure what qty:1 means? Just one leaf for $17 ?!?!? LOL
It's one pound. I've almost ordered this several times....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least in the seventeen hundreds, there were elaborate records kept on agriculture. Thomas Jefferson was

a famous example, but I think all large farming operations left behind account books and records. Much

must be known about early American tobaccos, how they were grown, cured, sold and perhaps used. If

you're interested enough, a staff historian at either Colonial Williamsburg or Monticello could probably provide

some information and a bibliography, depending on how much time and energy you want to spend.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I have chewed the Cotton Boll that misterlowercase refered to earlier. I don't reccommend it for chewing or smoking it is awlful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think some of the air cured burley from Puerto Rico and Haiti comes close, leaves rolled and dried under shelter. The less technology, the more likely it would have been available back into the sixteen hundreds. After that, you have to look to First Nations, though lack of written records makes this more difficult.

Jan 8, 2013
Wow! This is an old thread :lol: I must say though, that I did indeed get that clay tavern pipe and I have enjoyed a few twists while watching the above mentioned movies. I still haven't found myself a tricorner hat though Lol

Jan 8, 2013
I didn't go looking for a necrobump.
It was actually kind of cool revisiting the thread though. And sort of humbled me. The other day I saw a thread (don't remember if it was here or on Facebook) with a guy asking about churchwardens... "another Lord of the Rings fan wanting to be Gandalf," I thought and rolled my eyes. And I feel sort of bad about that because I'm a huge fan of the books and movies as well. I guess I just see that so often it just seems to get old. But then this thread comes up, and it's me, wanting a clay tavern pipe with an old fashioned tobacco because I want to pretend I'm in another time period while I smoke. I admit I also did the same, while watching the Lord Of The Rings movies or reading a book. So I'm glad you bumped it, as it brought me back down to earth. And that being said, I'm now trying to make up my mind between watching The Hobbit, or The Patriot, while I load up the long tavern pipe so I can "pretend" for a bit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.