PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
The weirdest Cup series in my 60-some years of watching. I wanted Oilers to win, mostly for McDavid. But his key guys were Caspers. I disagree with the Conn Symthe going to a losing team player. I'm glad McD didn't come out. I would have done the same. Bettman seems to like having that Cup in the USA. I shut off the tube with 15 seconds left and a scramble in the corner. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but sports don't seem the same anymore. Even the national anthems get disrespected. And narratives/agendas are pushed down your throat. I. E. Poli-ticks, gender BS, etc, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some of us are watching our MLB teams; the Euros Football (soccer) broadcast from Germany; some Olympic trials, pre-Wimbledon tennis, and whatever golf tournament starts tomorrow.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am interested in this query:

"But what happened to the inset showing a line change??"

Some of you are too young, perhaps. Long time ago, when there was a line change, a small box would appear at the top, from cameras focussed on the benches.

Most line changes are routine, but sometimes crictical. Critically good or bad, a real part of the game. Sometimes they're so smooth it's a work of art.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I am interested in this query:

"But what happened to the inset showing a line change??"

Some of you are too young, perhaps. Long time ago, when there was a line change, a small box would appear at the top, from cameras focussed on the benches.

Most line changes are routine, but sometimes crictical. Critically good or bad, a real part of the game. Sometimes they're so smooth it's a work of art.
Way before my time. I will ask my 79 year old father-in-law (an ex-Ranger fan I "converted" to Kings fan some years back) if any of this rings a bell. He does remember seeing Jacques Plante's first goalie mask, which probably would've predated high school for him.

What I do remember is watching line changes back when arenas had the players on the same side of the ice as the TV cameras, so you could see their jersey numbers on the bench, and watch them as they changed. This was especially useful when Gretzky was about to break some new scoring record, and you could know the exact moment he hopped onto the ice.

Coincidentally, I do believe Edmonton's old arena, Northlands Coliseum aka Rexall Place was the last arena to feature this setup.

I feel like only I would know something so utterly obscure and useless... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jpmcwjr