PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
ROUND 2 IS UNDERWAY, BOYS!!!!!! My wife and I have only had 2 fights about the amount of hockey on TV so far, too! She keeps pestering me with all this BS about "screens" and "obsession" and "you have a child you're supposed to be raising" and what not.

She'll come around. But that last one is not fair at all. I mean look at this stance! Not parenting my ass!

View attachment 146059
She's guarding the booze in the background. A formidable wall of defense to breach in order to get to it! Be careful trying, you might get cleaned out by a defense(wo)man...?

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanpiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Marchand is still a dummy too...(this coming from a Bruins fan)...
Marchand is still a dummy too...(this coming from a Bruins fan)...
That that's why I'd love Marchand on my team. Teams have the likes of Ryan Reaves, for a reason. In the last series, Marchand picked on the Canes goalie, and almost goaded him into a fight. When you're the last of three available goalies, not smart. Hockey needs guys like Marchand, Wilson,etc. Without them, just play the All-Star game offense shootout. Or, better yet, just play the game with shoot-outs.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My favorite Kings player growing up was a true pest: Tony Granato. Here is a quote from him that pretty much sums up the pest role, during the Kings 2nd round series against Vancouver in 1993:

"I don't want to get into a situation where I get a penalty in a close game...but at the same time, I've got to play a certain way in order for me to be effective. I have to go to the net hard, try and draw some penalties, hopefully attract some attention in some way. If a guy is trying to take a run at me, that might open up some space for one of my teammates. If people don't like it, I don't care. If you're making friends on the other team and people like to play against you, I would think something is wrong."

Their goon at the time, Marty McSorley, pointed out that Tony had "an instigator-type nature" and that he would "do stuff in the scrums, after the whistle when someone isn't looking. But he also takes a tremendous amount of abuse. For every shot he gives, he gets one back."

Granted, that was 30 years ago, and the league has really cracked down on a lot of that kind of stuff. But the principle behind the pest role is still very much the same. Marchand is a perfect example. It's all about trying to get in the other team's head, and give your teammates a little bit of space to operate, and make something happen. So with that said, I agree with @ssjones in the sense that the role isn't at all dispensable like the goon role became (sure, it's necessary to have tough guys, but they have to be skilled two-way players, not just mindless punching machines).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That that's why I'd love Marchand on my team. Teams have the likes of Ryan Reaves, for a reason. In the last series, Marchand picked on the Canes goalie, and almost goaded him into a fight. When you're the last of three available goalies, not smart. Hockey needs guys like Marchand, Wilson,etc. Without them, just play the All-Star game offense shootout. Or, better yet, just play the game with shoot-outs.
That role can be filled (and is quite often) without attempting to injure other players with cheap shots. It has no place in the game.

Reactions: Aomalley27

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That’s not hockey. Especially in light of what we know about concussions now. It’s reckless and dangerous. Take a gander at Marc Savard or Chris Pronger to see the effects of concussions.
Or Stan Mikita, Bob Probert, Derek Boogaard, Jeff Parker, Wade Belak, Larry Zeidel, Reggie Fleming, Rick Martin, Steve Montador, Zarley Zalapski, Todd Ewen, Dan Maloney……

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Bummer for the Blues, to battle back and tie it late, only to lose in OT. Binnington never had a chance on that shot, totally screened on the play.

It would appear that Colorado is for real this year. Bad news for the rest of the contenders, and certainly for TB's hopes of doing what hasn't been done since the early 80s.

While we're on the subject of 3+ cups in a row...question for all you old timers: if not for the Steve Smith gaffe in '86, do you think Edmonton would've beaten Montreal in the Finals that year, and made it five in a row?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Listened to the Canes game on XM in the garage, waxing the truck. I think the hit the post three times? (loud enough to be heard on the radio). I figured it was just a matter of time before they got one past Shesterkin. The Canes had all the momentum heading into OT, and that was over fast.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No, they have Mike Smith, who's save percentage is a whopping 0.015% lower than Oettinger and is no slouch. Plus he has the same name as the guy who played Bubbles on TPB. If that's not an omen for success I don't know what is.

FERp4VcXEAMP4Mp.jpg
Well that didn’t age well.