PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I at least expect expensive things to be put together properly when I pay good money for them. That looks like an example of a company living off of a good name for too long.

No.

Nothing to do with good money or company arrogance.

It's geometry.

You sometimes can't GET "there" from "here" with a straight airway---it's a physical impossiblity---so then must choose between the chamber or the mortise "receiving" the miss.

The better makers always choose the mortise. It's the lesser evil.

(Low quality makers don't care. I've seen airways enter the chamber halfway up the side, while the mortise is spot on. Try smoking that. lol)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have no doubt a Dunhill is worth every Penny it costs, I’m just an old Scotch hillbilly and won’t pay that much.:)

I admire the one at a time, hand built design philosophy of a Dunhill.

But I cannot fathom worrying about air holes being off center, bowls not drilled straight and perfect, or a mortise not centered.

5AC5DAFE-939A-4203-98CA-A408112002B5.jpegCF82952A-C9CD-4993-A876-F01E9280E2BB.jpegLee figured out perfect quality control in 1946.

There may be no perfectly hand made Lee masterpieces but every one was perfectly made or it didn’t leave the factory.

Quality is consistency.

• Haha
Reactions: Papamique

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Well, you have members here that despise Dunhill (and take every opportunity to tell the world about it)) but 5 pipes in one man’s experience is just that and doesn’t make for a trend. Dunhill does have a rich history, as you pointed out, I have never in 30+ dunhills (mostly older but a few newer) run into any quality issues but then that again is just one persons experience.

The market for Dunhill is still strong. People are willing to pay very high prices to collect them. Lee’s pipes-not so much. It’s not all hype and marketing although that certainly plays a part, to last a century and still be a highly collected and sought after brand. I have never bought a Dunhill and lost money at the point of resale.
So to reiterate, one person or multiple on this site harping on a brand of pipe (whether praise or curse) doesn’t make for the market. There are literally thousands of collectors with deep pockets that are more of a driving force in the market than a few opinions.
That’s my opinion.
Yup. Called it.

BTW. Dunhill continues to bring $$$$ whether you like it or not.

59EB7530-556E-4761-BF51-E173A6304923.png

This is actually one for the High End thread.

I prefer Sasieni or Charatan but the 1920’s One Dot Sasieni I just sold went for a fraction of this $. As much as I adore Sasieni “it ain’t no Dunhill”.

Last edited:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have exactly one Dunhill, a “Root” Oom Paul. That pipe, if bought new, would be a grand, though I didn’t pay that much for it. That being said, my mid to upper end Italian pipes such as Ardor, Castello, Caminetto, Radice, etc and my artisan pipes all put it to shame.Don’t get me wrong, It’s a beautiful pipe, but imho it’s not worth it’s original price tag at all…. It doesn’t even make my top 20…..

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
White Spot is among the very few factories left, which still produce pipes of interest to me. They are probably too expensive because there is hardly any competition any longer, if eg good ebonite stemwork and authentic classic shapes means anything to you. Unless you are willing to pay for artisan 'clones', which are not exactly cheap either.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve owned two Dunhill’s: a petite shell billiard from the late 50’s and a really pretty Cumberland rhodesian from 1980. Both smoked fine, but both have ended up getting sold. I got both pipes for $100 or less, and I think they were great deals. Nothing particularly wrong with either, they just didn’t get reached for as often as my other pipes. No complaints from me.

That said, I think the price tags on new Dunhill’s are sheer insanity. I can’t imagine paying $500 and up for a factory made pipe. Taste and beauty are subjective, but I also happen to think the grain and stains on most Dunhill’s are a total snooze fest. I admire the Cumberland and County lines on occasion, but the rest are a complete bore to me personally.

I’m sure the new Dunhill’s being produced are probably fine smoking pipes, but I wouldn’t be caught dead paying what’s being charged for them.

Estate Dunhill’s: good value to be had for the money (although many will poopoo the quality of this decade or that).

New Dunhill’s: NOPE.

Just one guys useless opinion on the subject.

Reactions: burleybreath

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
They are the only pipe manufacturer that makes (or did make) a perfectly shaped straight billiard, in my modest opinion. Not all their billiards, but many. I speak as a freak for the shape, of course. "But I have an X billiard that is perfect!" one might hear. Yes, but I'll bet it's nearly a one-off for that company. I can pick a Dunhill from a vast array of billiards, just by the silhouette. I think it, so it must be true, being pretty much perfect in judgment of all things.

Nevertheless, I have a mere three, chosen for the above reason. One only meets my high standards, an LBS with tapered bit. The smoking qualities I would describe as good, not great. Fit and finish are great. I will never buy a White Spot, the company that dare not say its name.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
They are the only pipe manufacturer that makes (or did make) a perfectly shaped straight billiard, in my modest opinion. Not all their billiards, but many. I speak as a freak for the shape, of course. "But I have an X billiard that is perfect!" one might hear. Yes, but I'll bet it's nearly a one-off for that company. I can pick a Dunhill from a vast array of billiards, just by the silhouette. I think it, so it must be true, being pretty much perfect in judgment of all things.

Nevertheless, I have a mere three, chosen for the above reason. One only meets my high standards, an LBS with tapered bit. The smoking qualities I would describe as good, not great. Fit and finish are great. I will never buy a White Spot, the company that dare not say its name.
Once anybody reaches this level of technical perfection in a pipe, the only thing left is beauty of proportions and pride of ownership.

A2327770-7723-4500-AA71-AE02DCED5E6F.jpegThe only difference between the huge freehand Preben Holm and these Lee Star Grades is the burls of briar and hard rubber were manufactured in two different factories thirty years apart.

4C97E890-3B9C-4D13-9CCE-12C9ED116A56.jpegWall Frank marketed beautiful straight grain pipes as Wally Frank Seconds.

812EBE05-3918-444E-8EDA-533E0A883E91.jpegBriar pipes are luxury items, much like a stainless steel diver’s watch waterproof rated to 200 meters.

82B5AA87-5436-4677-A32E-AA9D09214B63.jpeg

How much luxury do you want to buy?

Last edited:

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The problem with Dunhill is that a certain part of the brand's fanboys adhere to a series of myths created on the internet that have little to do with reality and if you point it out they fly into a rage.
It is futile to ask if without good pipes, it is obvious that yes since "you can fool a few people for a long time and a lot of people for a short time, but you cannot fool a lot of people for a long time".
Are they worth what they cost? Yes, because the interest they generate keeps the price constant and the buyer's market is deep. Therefore, if purchased well, it does not represent a risk of loss.
Paraphrasing a politician from my country: "We should stop talking about Dunhill for two years"

Reactions: Briar Lee

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

What are you saying that of the most ubiquitous shape ever made in the history of the pipe, only one company has done it perfectly?
It is a difficult argument to maintain beyond personal opinion, which of course is very valid.
You should check out Butz Choquim's Shape 1601.
Greetings.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Once anybody reaches this level of technical perfection in a pipe, the only thing left is beauty of proportions and pride of ownership.

View attachment 166555The only difference between the huge freehand Preben Holm and these Lee Star Grades is the burls of briar and hard rubber were manufactured in two different factories thirty years apart.

View attachment 166556Wall Frank marketed beautiful straight grain pipes as Wally Frank Seconds.

View attachment 166557Briar pipes are luxury items, much like a stainless steel diver’s watch waterproof rated to 200 meters.

View attachment 166558

How much luxury do you want to buy?
That Mako its a fine watch. Ist my travel Watch

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That Mako its a fine watch. Ist my travel Watch
In my drawer is a genuine Swiss Made Tudor my mother gave me for my 35th birthday.

Beside it is a Tissot Seastar 1000 rated at a thousand meters, or feet, I forget.

Today I’m on a mission to carry two huge tires to Humansville in order that my Amish renter will make a frost proof cattle waterer.

My Orient dive watch will mark the time as well as any.

In my pocket is a Lee Three Star Dublin and a pouch of Half and Half.

Poor people, aren’t ever privileged to have such luxuries.:)

Reactions: Alejo R.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
They are the only pipe manufacturer that makes (or did make) a perfectly shaped straight billiard.

I can pick a Dunhill from a vast array of billiards, just by the silhouette. I think it, so it must be true, being pretty much perfect in judgment of all things.
The stemwork and design on Duhills is second to none ,they are simply classic and very sophisticated looking pipes
That's where I stand too, I find their shapes pretty perfect. No gimmicks, no edgy emo designs, no excesses. So conservative one could say they are politically incorrect :P

Nothing like the androgynous clothing branded "Dunhill" nowadays.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The problem with Dunhill is that a certain part of the brand's fanboys adhere to a series of myths created on the internet that have little to do with reality and if you point it out they fly into a rage.
Not to mention they still believe Dunhill pipes are still being produced. When the brand decided to walk away from the pipe market, the Dunhill stamp was retired eleven years ago.