PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Over the years I have seen several newbie posts here, the gist of which is "are Dunhill pipes worth it?". In keeping with the tradition of newbie posting about Dunhill, I'll do my part.

1) I can recall no instance of a Dunhill smoker that complained about how crappy his pipe is. I just don't see posts like "Yeah, I smoke a Dunhill, but it's a real piece of junk."
2) I have a Dunhill 4107 Bruyere apple that I bought new and I must say that the quality of the manufacturing is remarkably good. Very impressive. My other pipes are either very good or excellent, but this one stands out for manufacturing quality, for beauty of design, and for beauty of finish. Ergonomics are fabulous. Very comfortable. And most of all, it's a great smoking pipe.
3) My other Dunhill is an estate 5101 apple that's about 40 years old and is in very good condition. It was a smoked pipe when I got it and it was obviously well taken care of, with the only wear being the kind of honest wear that comes with careful use. A ding or a minor scratch here and there. Bowl slightly charred but in great condition. It's a great smoking pipe. Like the other one, very comfortable.
4) The Dunhills are not my favorites. My favorite is a Savinelli Giubilieo D'Oro 207 smooth natural finished apple. Aside from being a beautiful pipe, it is the most comfortable for me to hold in hand and mouth (I don't clench, by the way). My understanding is that the Giubileos are Savinelli's highest quality pipes that are based on their standard factory shapes, and which are made of some of the best briar they can get.

I recall reading that buying a high end pipe is no guarantee of a good smoke, but it does increase the probability of a good smoke. I think there's something to that. Particularly given the shocking changes over the years in the availability of old briar and of high quality briar. My understanding is that good pipes of about a hundred years ago might be based on 250 year old briar trees, and good pipes of today are based on briar trees as young as 15 years. We've depleted the resource. I would like to learn more about this if you have good information on it. Is Dunhill briar better than most others? I don't know, but I'm guessing it is. It would be scandalous if it were not of relatively superior quality.

As to the question of whether a Dunhill is worth it, from the point of view of smoking I would say no, and that is based on the earned opinion of actually having spent the money and gotten the experience. Why no? Because you can spend a lot less for a pipe that delivers a great smoke and looks good too. However, from the point of view of pipe smoking as a hobby that beckons different people in different aspirational directions, then the answer is yes: Dunhill pipes are worth it to the hobbyist like me who values the history and tradition of the Dunhill brand, and the influence of Alfred Dunhill himself. Others may go in the direction of artisan made pipes or rare pipes or other specialties. It's like choosing any other luxury good. It's a personal choice based on individual sensibilities and priorities.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Well, you have members here that despise Dunhill (and take every opportunity to tell the world about it)) but 5 pipes in one man’s experience is just that and doesn’t make for a trend. Dunhill does have a rich history, as you pointed out, I have never in 30+ dunhills (mostly older but a few newer) run into any quality issues but then that again is just one persons experience.

The market for Dunhill is still strong. People are willing to pay very high prices to collect them. Lee’s pipes-not so much. It’s not all hype and marketing although that certainly plays a part, to last a century and still be a highly collected and sought after brand. I have never bought a Dunhill and lost money at the point of resale.
So to reiterate, one person or multiple on this site harping on a brand of pipe (whether praise or curse) doesn’t make for the market. There are literally thousands of collectors with deep pockets that are more of a driving force in the market than a few opinions.
That’s my opinion.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Someone said “hobbyist” - :oops:

I have one Dunhill - it’s a nice
pot and is just short of being as old as me. Had my mom set a record for gestation it would be a birth year, lol, I’m calling it close enough.

I have a 70 year old Barclay-Rex pot I got for a song and it is just as nice looking and smokes just as well.

The new Peterson I’m enjoying my first bowl from feels better in my hand (love the shape) and smokes every bit as good and was less than $100. I’d pick it over the Dunhill every time.

My next commission will be substantially less than the old Dunhill and I predict it will look better and work great.

All a matter of taste! ✌️

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1) I can recall no instance of a Dunhill smoker that complained about how crappy his pipe is. I just don't see posts like "Yeah, I smoke a Dunhill, but it's a real piece of junk."
Look harder. Those statements exist.
My understanding is that good pipes of about a hundred years ago might be based on 250 year old briar trees, and good pipes of today are based on briar trees as young as 15 years.
This is total bullshit, mostly created by marketing types. The sweet spot for age varies according to region, I have been told by carvers, cutters, and briar merchants. Mostly it's between 35 and 65 years, with Algerian going later. Barling was the "Ye Olde Wood" pipe maker, celebrated for their use of 100 to 150 year old burls. But in their own literature they stated that they looked for burls of about 65 years of age, and unlike all other makers except for Comoy, did their own harvesting, curing, and milling. Everyone else bought off the market.

It's a popular myth that only green crappy wood is being used today.

I used to smoke Dunhills. I still have a couple of them. They made an excellent pipe. I just found other makers whose pipes I liked better, such as Barling. Are Dunhills worth the money? They are if you're willing to spend it and if you want to own a Dunhill.
As to the question of whether a Dunhill is worth it, from the point of view of smoking I would say no, and that is based on the earned opinion of actually having spent the money and gotten the experience. Why no? Because you can spend a lot less for a pipe that delivers a great smoke and looks good too. However, from the point of view of pipe smoking as a hobby that beckons different people in different aspirational directions, then the answer is yes: Dunhill pipes are worth it to the hobbyist like me who values the history and tradition of the Dunhill brand, and the influence of Alfred Dunhill himself. Others may go in the direction of artisan made pipes or rare pipes or other specialties. It's like choosing any other luxury good. It's a personal choice based on individual sensibilities and priorities.
Absolutely spot on, though when it comes to the history of British pipes, Dunhill is strictly a johnnie come lately. Barling had been around nearly a century before Dunhill, Comoy's about the same, and Charatan, Loewe and BBB were around a good 50/60 years before Dunhill, turning out superb smoking pipes.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Briar (Heath tree root burls) are harvested when they are 30-60 years old. They are not depleted, globally speaking, as they are not even harvested in most of their range (Mediterranean basin as far north as Bulgaria, northeast Africa, and naturalized in southeast Australia). Current supplies of Italian briar are in shorter supply almost entirely due to government covid restrictions over the past two years.

Most claims to higher quality briar are entirely for marketing and sales purposes or are based on subjective opinion of "nice grain" and have no basis in objective fact.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
View attachment 166388Oo
Oops....wrong thread!
I do apologise, started reading the OP & my mind wandered.
Hubba hubba! Pipe, what pipe?!
I have a 1966 Dunhill LB and bought it because I loved the shape. The blast was nothing special but that shape made me think every Billiard should look like this.
Sandblasted birdseye looks creepy to me and gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I just can't take my eye off of it.

Reactions: Briar Lee

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
As a rule, Dunhills are lovely pipes. There’s probably more to read about them than any other brand.
You have here a sample of about five canned answers - do yourself a favor and figure out what works for you, and don’t take anything you read from a bunch of pipe nerds as your gospel. (This post included).

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
There is no shortage of briar, what exists is a shortage of people who want to do the work of harvesting the briar for the same money they would earn as a waiter in one of the tourist cities in the same area where the briar is harvested. Briar dealers can hardly specify where their briar comes from. For example, Romeo Briar buys the Bezo from a truck that travels along the Mediterranean coast from Algeciras to Italy, buying from local collectors along the way and mixing it on the truck.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian