PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Nobody wants to know what's in them. They look sad and repulsive, and they're dirt cheap. From a self-subscribed Foodies point of view, they should never be bought, eaten or discussed. Never-the-less, there is an average of approximately 1,517,808. of them made sold and eaten every single day. My weak spot in the food world, I'm embarrassed to say...

Jack in the Box Tacos

What is your Achillies heel in the food world?

Last edited:

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
There hasn’t been a jack in the box in Connecticut since I was a kid. A bunch of people got salmonella and they went bankrupt. I had them for the first time in California some years ago, it reminded me of Burger King.
I'm in CT, had no idea. Thought it was just a west coast thing

Reactions: monty55

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The other big taco chain always gave me heartburn or the runs, although the food tasted pretty good. Too bad because really good Mexican food is excellent. We have a favorite place where the staff speaks Spanish as a first language and most of their customers are Hispanic. And they serve Coca Cola made with cane sugar that comes in glass bottles.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My wife and I have made a small hobby of seeking and grading the best crispy chicken sandwiches In the greater Phoenix area. I realize the best are probably in Nashville and Atlanta, and other Southern locales, but we have few pretty damn good ones here.

My best picks thus far in town:
The Angry Crab Shack
Monroe’s Hot Chicken
Shake Shack

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
My buddy claimed the same for years. I finally relented and gave them a try at the steep price of two for a $1. I was not impressed. I told my friend so and he was personally offended. I then asked if he ever had the tacos while sober and he said "no." Then it all made sense.
This is true. Jack in the Box places here stay open 24hrs, so lot's of people buy them after hours.
It's not that they taste great at all, there just ok.
It's all about the mouth feel. They put a mushy concoction of meat and a tiny piece of american cheese in a corn tortillia, clamp them up in a special fryer basket and deep fry the whole thing. Then add a tiny bit of lettuce when they're done.
It's a mixture of mushy, crunchy, cheesy, and with the taco sauce, spicy. It hits all the bells for someone wanting to pig out after a night drinking.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My wife and I have made a small hobby of seeking and grading the best crispy chicken sandwiches In the greater Phoenix area. I realize the best are probably in Nashville and Atlanta, and other Southern locales, but we have few pretty damn good ones here.

My best picks thus far in town:
The Angry Crab Shack
Monroe’s Hot Chicken
Shake Shack
If you have a Lolo's near you try theirs.

Dang, now I'm hungry.

Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I had a friend in high school who was an assistant manager at a Jack In The Box until he got caught "borrowing" from the till. He got the sack, but before he left, he went into the back room and added a "secret" ingredient to the secret sauce.
I have never eaten at a Jack In The Box since then.
Thank goodness the taco sauce comes in little packets!