PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Very nice! I just received a meer I ordered and I wasn’t happy with it for a couple of reasons. There was a large scratch on the top of the stem (would require a lot sanding and buffing to get it out) and the the draft hole was drilled passed the point it connected with the chamber, it’s hard to describe but if you put a pipe cleaner in it, it just kept going dangerously close to the bottom and the end of the chamber. I paid too much money for it to have those kind of flaws. Anyway, I'm sending it back and I’m trying to (im)patiently wait for the house credit so I can use it towards an IMP Meer this time.

Otherwise it was a great looking pipe. Sorry, that all just came out. Guess I need to tell someone who would understand the frustration of waiting on a new pipe just to find that it has flaws that can’t be over looked.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Very nice! I just received a meer I ordered and I wasn’t happy with it for a couple of reasons. There was a large scratch on the top of the stem (would require a lot sanding and buffing to get it out) and the the draft hole was drilled passed the point it connected with the chamber, it’s hard to describe but if you put a pipe cleaner in it, it just kept going dangerously close to the bottom and the end of the chamber. I paid too much money for it to have those kind of flaws. Anyway, I'm sending it back and I’m trying to (im)patiently wait for the house credit so I can use it towards an IMP Meer this time.

Otherwise it was a great looking pipe. Sorry, that all just came out. Guess I need to tell someone who would understand the frustration of waiting on a new pipe just to find that it has flaws that can’t be over looked.
Where did that problem Meer come from?

One small matter (AND I AM NOT COMPLAINING), is the stem is not what I had envisioned. Not sending it back to Turkey and I know they would more than happily oblige a replacement, but I was looking for a brown/amber and this is more of a
i can’t stop admiring this pipe. I actually think the red stem is awesome. Most meers i see are amber/yellow or black and the red is quite nice. I suppose green given the theme would work as well but that’s almost pedantic.

• Love
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

The wait and anticipation knowing it's coming from so far away and wondering if it will be "just so" is a little daunting.

The carving on this exceeded my expectations -- somewhere I posted the sketches and there was a pic of the tree as well that I sent along - the carving was masterful. The bowl/shank were what this pipe was all about and in a way I got lucky, but that is short changing the incredible carving work.

I'm being influenced by the comments on the stem - in hand it's kind of a solid, dull, resiny red - something a little more polished is needed regardless.

When I say amber, it's not the yellow faux amber, but the brown/black/swirling look - and the comments have me thinking red with that kind of look may not be so off, haven't boxed or mailed it yet, and plenty of time to think about it! Appreciate the kind thoughts!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The carving on this exceeded my expectations -- somewhere I posted the sketches and there was a pic of the tree as well that I sent along - the carving was masterful.
cdcc4656-5ef7-4c88-9fa7-9a2170437b26-jpeg.186696

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I just couldn't abide the red resin stem and in person it's just "off" looking - I was having trouble figuring where to send it for a replacement and @doug535 (who doesn't really do Meer work as such) was very kind and volunteered to fit me an acrylic stem which is much better!! Now I can finally smoke this pipe, may do it this evening.

View attachment 227643
Yes, this is a much nicer colored stem. Well done, Doug!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I just couldn't abide the red resin stem and in person it's just "off" looking - I was having trouble figuring where to send it for a replacement and @doug535 (who doesn't really do Meer work as such) was very kind and volunteered to fit me an acrylic stem which is much better!! Now I can finally smoke this pipe, may do it this evening.

View attachment 227643
In my opinion, keeping with your theme, red amber was the appropriate color of the stem as the yew berries are a reddish color; hope you kept original stem for posterity.
1686839399485.png

1686839464272.png

Yew got a beautiful pipe there ! Enjoy !

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
In my opinion, keeping with your theme, red amber was the appropriate color of the stem as the yew berries are a reddish color; hope you kept original stem for posterity.
View attachment 227730

View attachment 227731

Yew got a beautiful pipe there ! Enjoy !
I have the original, just couldn't source an acrylic red stem that was going to pass muster for the look I wanted, still open to changing out at some point, but this gets me a good looking stem, a proper fit (the other was too loose) and some adjustment to a bit of a blockage that was going to be an issue from the insert - all of which Doug took care of so I can enjoy it!

A bit of an Irish whiskey color isn't bothering me! :)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I have the original, just couldn't source an acrylic red stem that was going to pass muster for the look I wanted, still open to changing out at some point, but this gets me a good looking stem, a proper fit (the other was too loose) and some adjustment to a bit of a blockage that was going to be an issue from the insert - all of which Doug took care of so I can enjoy it!

A bit of an Irish whiskey color isn't bothering me! :)
Cheers !
1686842629560.png