PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Meer Mania around here got me into a standard IMP a few months ago, which was a revelation (to me). I decided I needed just one more block Meer but wanted something unique and special to me (and I try with the few commissions I have to make them something special). I messaged Sinan with Altinok in December and between a photo and his request for sketches (I happily obliged) this is the result! The ancient Yew tree at Muckross Abbey (700+ years old) near Killarney made quite an impression on me and my dearest on our trip to her "Holy Land" (actually I'm as much Irish as she is but my kin hail from northwest of Dublin) last spring which included our 34th Anniversary. It is gnarly and twisted and wonderful and the carver captured it in all its reverence - would be instantly recognizable to anyone who is familiar with it). The shamrocks (identical on both sides, but just the one view here) are "just because" but framed in some of the architecture from the Abbey.

The detail on this pipe is incredible, hope the pics do it justice, I'm in the garage today, haha, enjoying a bowl in another pipe (a Dublin, lol) while taking pics and perusing the forum. It is just amazing that someone could produce something like this, IMO.

One small matter (AND I AM NOT COMPLAINING), is the stem is not what I had envisioned. Not sending it back to Turkey and I know they would more than happily oblige a replacement, but I was looking for a brown/amber and this is more of a solid red, but I'm sending to Rich at Briarsville and we'll get that detail worked out. Just a little communication glitch I take responsibility for, and now it's in hand, have a better idea now of what I want for a stem. Again, not a complaint. I'll post a follow up in a couple of weeks or so.

I'll probably not live long enough to smoke it enough to "color" the bowl, and I don't care! As Billy Joel is currently singing on my MacBook, "I love you just the way you are!"

7F1D9881-C482-491F-A34A-61FAD66AA826.jpegB52DCD84-B1FB-4CF3-B6FB-B9CF0BA06909.jpegEF891C98-6E3D-4099-87A9-8DFF4B4D6609.jpeg