PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Guys,
I think I've posted a couple of pictures, over the last few months, of my modest little mancave. It is my home office that I had fitted with a high velocity whisper quiet exhaust fan that allows me to enjoy my pipes and cigars. My son and pipe pal Nick sits up with me a few times a week and we enjoy a pipe together and catch up on the day. I also take turns with my other buds hosting poker games once a month or so.
As you will see in the before pictures... This PAD, TAD and EPRD (estate pipe resto disorder) I've contracted has caused me to outgrow the meager accommodations of my little hideout.
The befores...
Staircase leading up to the cave, my neighbor calls it "The Stairway to Heaven" :)

Top of the stairs.

Getting ready for a poker game a couple of months ago.

My tobacco crawl space at the beginning of the year... (it's on the top shelf of the bookcase on the left)

Tobacco crawl space after the TAPS Expo...

So, as I was outgrowing my shelf space I was trying to decide what to do about it. I probably need to disclose right now that I am a very thrifty guy. After 26 years in the car business, I absolutely hate to pay List Price for anything.
As I was looking at the different options on pipe cabinets and more shelves or bookcases, regardless of how nice they were, I just couldn't get over the price of some of these. Heck a small little pipe cabinet that held 20 or so pipes was several hundred dollars. I even saw some for thousands of dollars. (yikes!)
While surfing craigslist and other garage sale sites I kept noticing how cheap the old "Entertainment Centers" had become. What was once thousands of dollars were now only four or five hundred. This would sovle several problems for me...
1. A place for the Tobacco

2. A place for the Pipes

3. A place for my TV

4. A place for my refurbin gear
After a couple of weeks of looking every day I ran across a really nice looking setup that the fella was asking $200 for. After talking to him I got it down to $150.
So, today my son Nick and I rented a small uhaul truck and made our way up to Apex NC, about an hour or so north. When we got there the owner met us and proceeded to take us uptairs to the family room. This unit was huge. 5 pieces, with the center piece being enormous and very heavy.
I told him that I was a little disheartened to learn that we would need to haul it down the stairs. He felt bad about it and knocked another $50 off. So we got it for $100! My kind a deal. :) (did I mention that I'm thrifty, the Blonde calls it CHEAP!).
After 45 minutes of loading the truck, 1 hour of driving back down to Pinehurst and over 1 hour of lugging all of it up the stairs to my mancave we finally had it set up.
I then spent the next glorious couple of hours setting it all up.
Here's how it turned out...

Top shelf is the Esoterica shelf. So far I've been able to find 2 bags and 1/2 tins of Margate, 1 bag of Woodbridge, 1 bag of Dorchester, 1 tin and 9.7 oz of Penzance & several oz of Stonehaven. (I feel very fortunate )

Corner unit and bottom shelf full of 29 large jars of C.B. Perkins Tobacco (picked it up from a fella that bout it from a closed store)

Top shelf is some of my nicer pipes (couldn't get my 24 pipe rack to fit up there), 2nd shelf is some of my cigar stuff, 3rd shelf is 20 something jars of various tobaccos, including several jars of 3 & 4 oz Lane samples from the TAPS expo, 4th shelf is Nicks pipe rack.

More jars and a few bags...

All five units in all their glory. 8) (over 10' wide)

23 or so of the modest stable...

Look at all those beautiful Bulldogs. :)

Finally, the desk all cleaned up and tonight's briars set up for the evening's tobacco medley.

Top of the

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Brilliant idea! Very nice set-up, nothing like a properly set up and organised man-cave. Thanks for taking some time to take pictures and sharing them here. I spy a Larrysson post-card on your desk!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't have nearly the amount of tobacco or pipes as you, but I envy what you have going on! If I had a cabinet like that, I would be Hell bent on filling it!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
@tozart
You mean this one?

Yup. One of my prized possessions. :)
Did you catch that spiffy little Churchwarden on my shelf of "Special" pipes?

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I have to show off one of the neat features I discovered about my new wall unit.

I know, it's a little "Show Boatie" but, what the heck. It's highlighting my prized tobaccos and pipes.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks fellas.
It's a definite improvement, albeit a cheap one. :)
But, it kind of matches my stable of pipes. Almost all of them, with the exception of a few gifts, are old estate pipes that I resurrected.
I should probably change my handle from Bonanzadriver to Econopiper. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Outstanding! I hope you didn't hurt your back lugging that thing around. That's my biggest impediment to a similar storage solution.

I hope you convert the center piece to more pipe storage. I've read that keeping them closed in helps keep them 'clean'.

I love that pipe rack on "Nick's shelf".

I also love to play poker.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow very nice setup. I'll be over for the next poker night. :rofl:
I'm curious as to what model fan you bought.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Nice setup! Craigslist is a gold particularly furniture.. Lots of folks downsizing and just want it gone.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Nice setup! Craigslist is a gold particularly furniture.. Lots of folks downsizing and just want it gone.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thank you all.
To respond to a couple of the comments...

The back!
Yeah, unfortunately I've got a bad one also (bad disk under L5). My son Nick, although a strappin young 20 yo, just doesn't have the first hand knowledge of moving big, heavy bulky items like his pop, so I found myself doin some serious grunting. Payin for it to day.
But hey, one of the many uses of Scotch and Bourbon, if I recall, is muscle relaxin. That's my thinkin anyway, I'll let ya'll know later on tonight. :)

The lights on the stems issue...
Yeah, I agree, I turned em off as soon as I was done takin pictures. Definitely won't be on much at all.

Turnin the center TV area into more shelving?
My thoughts exactly. My next project on the center will be to put a shelf up high in the TV cabinet and move the TV up there. Perfect time I think to upgrade from my 30" to a 40" (I think that's all I can get in there). Below all of that I'm gonna build stair stepping shelves that will hold all 29 of those CB Perkins Jars. This will free up the corner units and will allow me to put my pipes up there.
Nick's pipe rack... Yeah, my live-in Pipe Pal Nick was keeping his pipes on some empty shelf space in one of my bookcases. I was lookin for something he might like, he appreciates the hand crafted pipes and stands. I saw several of these racks on etsy and ebay, but again, they wanted way too much for em. After a couple of weeks of surfin I found one that they wanted only $40 or $50 for, or Best Offer. I offered em $20 and they pay the freight. And they took it. I know, I know, I'm a cheap bastard. Just ask the Blonde :)
AS to the model of the fan? I'm at work right now and don't recall. I can look at it when I get home if you'd like. I do know that it's a pretty simple affair. 2 switches on the wall. One for the light and one for the fan. Plus 2 pull chains, again one for the light and one for the 3 speed fan. I believe it's reversible as well. Works great for chillin the place down, only problem is if I have it too high it blows my matches out before I can light me baccy. And it fans the embers in the bowl and can cause a runaway fire if yer not careful. :)
So, after I recover from this workout I'll start doin some measurin and plannin for the TV cabinet upgrade and will keep ya posted.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I only ask because I need to look for an exhaust fan for my office so I won't get complaints from the wife.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Oh, sorry fitzy, I completely misunderstood your question. (doh)
Thought you were talkin about the ceiling fan.
THE EXHAUST FAN (in my best Homer Simpson voice) is a Panasonic Whisper quiet inline 440 cfm fan. It's designed to hook up multiple bathrooms, kitchen hood vents, etc to and be remotely located in the attic.
So, When I did mine I had em put it out in the attic and then had the HVAC folks install three ordinary vents in the ceiling and tie em to the fan.
If you look closely at the pictures of the mancave you'll see vents on the floor, those are the Real HVAC vents and the exhaust vents, in the ceiling, are pretty inconspicuous.
Best thing is that you can't hear it running and it'll definitely clear out the smoke.
The Blonde still complains from time to time, after a poker game and 8 or 9 guys up there smoking cigars for a few hours, but that she can smell some smoke. But I think she's just tryin to be a SWMBO. :)
The prices for these units have come way down by the way. I think you can pick em up for $200 or so. When I got mine, 9 or so years ago, retail was $1000 and I thought I got a good deal @ $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.