Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Someone once said that a cob delivers a solid 7 as a smoking pipe.

That’s quite impressive.

Given that we go through many briars before we acquire that small collection of smokers in the 7-10 range — our favorite briars.

Given that a cob can be relied upon for a solid smoking experience at such reasonable cost, they’re phenomenal — if you’re a burley fan, what’s not to like?
Good for Latakia as well.??

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have 6 or 7 MM. Not sure why so many. I like cobs well enough, but only smoke OTC blends in them. Most of times, I don't look at them but maybe once a week or so when I want a quick smoke. But they do smoke well with a bit of additional cob taste which I don't mind. Most of my smoking is still done with briar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
OK, I confess it up front and at the start: I never loved cobs. The only use I had for them was smoking heavily scented blends that would ghost. Other than these blends I had no other selected blends that I felt smoked better in a cob. In Underneath I felt cobs had no class.

As described in this thread such veneration for a lowly corncob! You might reply that I'm an idolatrous worshiper of xylem (wood), for which I would have no defense.

But I do have some points nonetheless. Briar has grain and birdseye, and it can be shaped. Can't shape a cob. Too many holes. Can't blast or rusticate a cob. Finally can't stain or paint a cob.

No, you can just shield your senses from objects butt-ugly.

Now, if you love your cobs, more power to you! I'm sure
you see things in them that I don't. What do I know anyway?

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
OK, I confess it up front and at the start: I never loved cobs. The only use I had for them was smoking heavily scented blends that would ghost. Other than these blends I had no other selected blends that I felt smoked better in a cob. In Underneath I felt cobs had no class.

As described in this thread such veneration for a lowly corncob! You might reply that I'm an idolatrous worshiper of xylem (wood), for which I would have no defense.

But I do have some points nonetheless. Briar has grain and birdseye, and it can be shaped. Can't shape a cob. Too many holes. Can't blast or rusticate a cob. Finally can't stain or paint a cob.

Lol true they may not be as fancy as many briar. But living and farming in the cornhusker state, we used cobs for everything.
Makes a darn good heating source for the winters. Lol
I have seen a few back in the 70s that were all polished and stained. They were usually homemade.

But your point is well taken. ?

Mar 1, 2014
I'm just shocked that Missouri Meerschaum is still the only modern pipe manufacturer building pipes with a proper wide air channel from shank to button (80 cent plastic stems only).

Castello and Cobs, absolute opposite ends of the price spectrum but also the most similar in terms of the quality of smoke.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

Thank you and no I would not have thought you were simply a lover of wood, but I am as well. The Peterson Derry Rustic, not rusticated, is so visually pleaseing and smokes well. I like the briars as well, but just wanted to discuss and perhaps elevate the lowly cob.

No, the appeal of cobs was not immediate, but occured when I found an old 1970's MM Freehand and experienced the draw and ease of use. This allowed me to get the whisps of smoke I like for tasting the tobacco.

However, I have seen my fair share of butt ugly briar configuations....LOL!! I am sure you will agree. :)

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I've owned many different pipes of all makes and styles as I refurbish and resell them as hobby/side hustle. I basically switched over to cobs almost all the time now. I find the draw to be perfect, and the bowl size of the legend/pride is also perfect for the shorter smokes a take, light weight and easily replaceable stem. All reasons why the cob is a winner in my books. I still have a number of other pipes and switch it up occasionally but the everyday workhorse is the cob.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I never made a conscious effort to switch from briar to cobs, it just worked out that way. With my briars I found any given blend of tobacco would taste better in some pipes than others. I had a list in a notebook of what tobacco went with what briar. I don't even remember now what made me get a corn cob pipe, but I found it had several advantages: little to no break-in time, tobacco tasted better in them, and they weren't so picky as to what blend went with what pipe. I have my cobs organized into general categories to avoid ghosting, but no specific pipe to smoke each particular blend.