PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I realize that cob pipes are not for everyone, but I am consistantly impressed with the number of folks that use them daily.

Yes, some are very inexpensive, but others are in the $30-40 range making them compete with most estate briar sales.

I've read that some think they help and others think they don't help taste the tobacco.

Anyway, I could not find a definitive thread regarding cobs and why they are not just a novelty, but a serious smoking instrument.

Post them if you have them...

Cobs.jpg
:col:

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I have a few fancy ones.
20210719-062821-2.jpg

I have a bunch of chewed up old Legends too. Honestly these have treated me better than most briars, especially that old Dr. Grabow labeled Legend.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
A lot of the time, I just want to smoke and not have to think too much about the process.
This is me, sub "A lot" with "All". It's why my briars(Dr. Grabows excepted) basically sit unsmoked in a drawer. My unwillingness to spend more than about 60 bucks on a briar is sort of self limiting. I prefer 1/4 - 3/4 bents, and briar in this price range and shape are usually not worth my time and effort. That said, I am warming up to Meerschaum lately, so who knows where that will take me.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
This is me, sub "A lot" with "All". It's why my briars(Dr. Grabows excepted) basically sit unsmoked in a drawer. My unwillingness to spend more than about 60 bucks on a briar is sort of self limiting. I prefer 1/4 - 3/4 bents, and briar in this price range and shape are usually not worth my time and effort. That said, I am warming up to Meerschaum lately, so who knows where that will take me.
Sometimes I get carried away on an auction. Yesterday I was so happy to be outbid. ……lol!!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I love my cobs, even with some nice briar pipes, meers, etc...cobs really might be my favorite, especially when it's hot out.

For me they seem to smoke the driest and I end up with the least amount of dottle, never worry about breaking/losing them, get them for like 3.50 at local cigarette shop. Some blends really seem to specifically shine in a cob, too -Sutliff Virginia slices is always good but seems to smoke perfectly in a cob (at least in my personal experience).

They aren't for everyone, but I love 'em.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Right at the start of my pipe smoking journey, I purchased a few cobs as it was a good way to get a decent pipe rotation without undue expense. I learned on those pipes and a few of them remain my favorites to this day. I tend to like some briars by sight but only get to love them by their smoking qualities, so PAD isn't really an issue for me. Unfortunately, I never picked up any cob freehands so as my rotation currently stands, my cobs are my smaller pipes. I haven't messed with the Legends or Mark Twain in a while. I tend to favor the Country Gentlemen, Diplomat Apples, and Diplomat 5th Avenues now when I reach for a cob. I'm also a fan of the Savinelli Series III unfInished pipes so they and the cobs are what I reach for the most. I don't find either to be more or less of a serious smoking implement than the other and enjoy all of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The basic MM cob in both filter and non-filter version is a good smoker and a fine way to get into pipe smoking or expand your rack of pipes and your rotation. Some enjoy them as a disposable pipe, at work or home yard work or camping, fishing, etc. I've come to regard them as permanent pipes. They are durable and in a large rotation last forever. I've come to refit mine with Forever stems, or lately, bought the special editions with acrylic stems for around $28, since I don't have to replace the stems that way. They are easy to smoke and burn more of the tobacco without diminished taste than any other of my pipes. None are better for burley blends and aromatics, in my opinion.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have one cob had several over the years. I prefer briar but cobs are good pipes. For example they change the taste of tobacco sometimes dramatically sometimes subtly. My favorite part though is the price. Why because it means they're a pipe I can lose and not be bummed out about it. They're replaceable and easy enough to find. I've seen them for sale at supermarkets cigarette counters. They're my camping and hiking pipes.
In fact I broke one not too long ago and it just means I am considering a new one.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They are disposable! I'm not too disappointed when one floats gently down the river or is crunched under a tractor wheel. Decent smokers and cheap, even the costier models are rediculously cheap and built to be such. They are pipes which should be in anyone's collection if they smoke in arduous circumstances. They certainly do not match up to my briars or meerschaums but, like everyone else, that is simply based on anecdotal observation.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Someone once said that a cob delivers a solid 7 as a smoking pipe.

That’s quite impressive.

Given that we go through many briars before we acquire that small collection of smokers in the 7-10 range — our favorite briars.

Given that a cob can be relied upon for a solid smoking experience at such reasonable cost, they’re phenomenal — if you’re a burley fan, what’s not to like?