PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
:rofl:
It may be hot where I'm going, but at least I'll have you guys as company! :nana:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's only one jiminks. Or is there? I'm thinking of a team of thirty, each smoking eight or ten blends a day and writing reviews passed through the same editor. jiminks may be the mastermind, but there have to be quite a few people working on this. And those delicious meals jiminks describes? They're catered sitdowns at a row of picnic tables, I think.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Should Jim opt for cremation of his remains when he crosses fully into the spirit world, I'm certain the results would be a fine 'white' ash.
Just be sure to dry him out well first...a bunch of relights would be truly awful.
Given all the tobacco that he's consumed, I just figured that he'd be ground up and tinned.
There is a force field around Jim that I call the Jim Effect. Every time we talk on the phone I have an uncontrollable urge to load up a pipe and smoke it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
So far if Jim has highly recommended a blend, I've been pretty happy with it, too.

With one exception: I still don't get SWR Aromatic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
curl, and I completely "get" SWR Aromatic, but I think that's just a difference in individuals. jiminks has an amazing breadth of taste, much more than most of us, so he's going to hit something I don't like from time to time. He's got the whole keyboard covered, as it were. I also enjoy Edward G. Robinson and Iwan Riess Three Star Blue, which are not alike but are part of a genre of grand old blends, that he has recommended, but that may not suit everyone. I don't know how jiminks stands on SWR Regular -- that one still leaves me cold, but I may try it again at some point. I love burley and burley blends, and burley variants, but that one just doesn't have much taste for me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: SWR is a serviceable OTC, but lacks some body and depth. I consider it to be an all day work and play smoke.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
One of my favorite evening activities is to open the laptop and read Jim's reviews on blends I'm considering, or even blends I already have, just to see if I'm "getting it".

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Me, too. Whenever I start in on a new blend, I hit tobacco reviews and read some, then search on youtube for my good friend Bradley & company.
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jim is a great resource for anyone who is looking for info on a given blend. My last three favorites were in fact recommendations from Jim. Butera Dark Stoved, Curly Block and Salty Dogs are now among my favorite blends and all thanks to Jim. He knows my tastes so when he tells me I will like something, I trust his judgment.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
The only problem I see with JimInks is that he has enough time and resources to smoke, what, like 14 to 16 bowls a day in a vast array of pipes, which I enviously cannot do.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I swear, I was just telling someone the other day that I don't believe there's a blend out there that Jim hasn't reviewed. Unless it's some backwoods smoke shop that makes blends for about 5 people...then again, they probably ran it by him first to make sure it was worth a damn. :rofl:
I haven't seen a blend review yet that didn't include one from Jim, and I have to say, even if we disagree about the flavors from time to time just due to having different palates, I'll still read his and use it for my own purpose in deciding whether or not I want to buy it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks reviews could easily be compiled as a book or ebook because of his wide appreciation for many genres of blends. No one is going to agree entirely with anyone, but he has enough material so people can understand where they might and might not agree, and the specifics are so well defined, you always learn something and gain information about the blend under review. I guess like books of restaurant reviews, this would have to be updated every three or four years, but the old ones would provide historical references as time passed. Marketing to pipe smokers starts with a fairly small cohort, and those who smoke widely among blends is still smaller, but it would certainly be an enticement to those who explore the market of pipe tobacco. I tried Three Star Blue years ago, and I liked the robust flavors but found it a little edgy and rough. After jiminks review, I decided to try it again, and it really earned a spot in my cellar. The second try was the charm.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Jim talks about subtilties that often elude me but I always know whether or not to try a blend based on his assessment. His reviews point me in the right direction. We're lucky to have him here and even luckier he is willing to share.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank all of you folks for the support. It means a lot to know what I do has been of help to others. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for me to review.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
As a beginner I now open his review on whatever I'm smoking to see if I can pick out the same flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.