PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
You often hear pipes referred to as "good smokers" or "bad smokers". My question is this; what is meant by this phrase? Is it:
  1. The flavor in imparts?
  2. How cool the pipe remains while smoking?
  3. How well the pipe stays lit?
  4. All of the Above
  5. Some of the Above
  6. None of the Above... it's a myth and has more to do with the skills of the person smoking the pipe? With obvious exections (poor drilling, etc.)
Thank you.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If the pipe is drilled properly and has at least a decent stem, it’s up to the skills of the smoker; with the caveat that some pieces of briar are better at dissipating heat than others and some pieces of briar tend to smoke wetter than others for different reasons. How that particular block of briar was stored, cut, dried and finished by the maker will all affect the character of the finished pipe.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It means different things to different people. I doubt you would get many seasoned smokers to agree on a set of parameters that would apply.

To me it means a pipes that reliable smokes dry. I've had some pipes that were just wet smokers no matter what you did. I can usually tune up a wet smoker to be a dry smoker but it takes a little work and skill.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
It means different things to different people. I doubt you would get many seasoned smokers to agree on a set of parameters that would apply.

To me it means a pipes that reliable smokes dry. I've had some pipes that were just wet smokers no matter what you did. I can usually tune up a wet smoker to be a dry smoker but it takes a little work and skill.
Out of curiosity, what changes would you make?

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
In my mind, a good smoker is a pipe that lets you enjoy the session. A bad smoker is a pipe I have to fight with for whatever reason.

For example, I won't smoke a wet blend in a bulldog, but it's great in my system pipe. I don't particularly like new cobs because the wood stem inside the cob burns and adds a sour note to the blend, but once this burns off, it's great. I don't like the draw of my Savinelli 673 with the filter in place, but it's one of my absolute favorite pipes when I chuck that balsa in the trash. I've had a Comoy and a Ser Jacopo (estate) that were both sour, but I fixed them both with a thorough cleaning and then activated charcoal. I now consider them "good smokers".

Reactions: CallMeSangy
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Out of curiosity, what changes would you make?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
So many variables.

My experience is that yes, I do have some pipes that seem to perform better than others. That seems to be tied to how well they draw, IMO, or maybe how "easy" to smoke for lack of a better description. I wouldn't say any pipe I own is a "struggle" and obviously differences in moisture, packing, and so forth can affect things in any individual pipe. But some definitely perform differently and although I can enjoy an experience with them, and not saying the experiences are negative, it requires a little more effort/thought/adaptation/who knows what on my part. They're just "different".

That's the sense of my world, lol.

Last edited:

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
A good smoker is not nescessarily an expensive pipe. All the pipes that I have that I would describe as good smokers have an open draw and smoke cool and dry without undue effort. On paper a Peterson system pipe would be a great smoker, but not for me, as I don't like the P lip. I do however love a Falcon pipe espescially with a dental or multi purpose mouth piece. (Good clenchers).They usually are as reliable as can be, but again, I can't abide the dry ring as it impedes air flow and negates the lovely open draw so I don't fit one.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
All of the above. Any further benefits make it a great pipe.
I have great smokers that aren't necessarily great pipes. Great smoker would be Open draw, doesn't get warm easily, smokes dry, etc.
What makes a great pipe is all of the above plus a comfortable stem and shape, a nice finish, lightweight, etc.
Though I am under the impression that user's experience plays a big part in it. Smoking a large vs small bowl for a new smoker, they may think one smokes better than the other. An experienced smoker will achieve a good smoke from either if the pipe suits them.
Just my .02

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
All of the above. Any further benefits make it a great pipe.
I have great smokers that aren't necessarily great pipes. Great smoker would be Open draw, doesn't get warm easily, smokes dry, etc.
What makes a great pipe is all of the above plus a comfortable stem and shape, a nice finish, lightweight, etc.
Though I am under the impression that user's experience plays a big part in it. Smoking a large vs small bowl for a new smoker, they may think one smokes better than the other. An experienced smoker will achieve a good smoke from either if the pipe suits them.
Just my .02
Couldn't have said it better. This is my take as well.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
While price does not mean a good smoke, and it varies between individuals for sure, and technique is still the most important factor - I still find that I get a good smoke out of a well known manufacturer with a good reputation every single time. Just sayin....

Reactions: JOHN72

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
A good smoker is a pipe that a guy likes to smoke.
Now, that guy may have the worst habits, smoke the nastiest tobacco, fire it up with a jet lighter, and never clean it.
Some might start to think it’s completely useless as a descriptor.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Construction aspects, smoking technique, personal preferences.
To me, a light and rusticated pipe smokes better than a smooth and heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In my mind, a good smoker is a pipe that lets you enjoy the session. A bad smoker is a pipe I have to fight with for whatever reason.

For example, I won't smoke a wet blend in a bulldog, but it's great in my system pipe. I don't particularly like new cobs because the wood stem inside the cob burns and adds a sour note to the blend, but once this burns off, it's great. I don't like the draw of my Savinelli 673 with the filter in place, but it's one of my absolute favorite pipes when I chuck that balsa in the trash. I've had a Comoy and a Ser Jacopo (estate) that were both sour, but I fixed them both with a thorough cleaning and then activated charcoal. I now consider them "good smokers".
Try clipping the ends of your balsas at a 45 degree angle and see what happens. puffy