PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen a reference to an exact date when the metal rondell was first used. Below, from the Pipepedia page seems to indicate that it was in the 1920's.
The French GBDs more or less followed the same developments, although Xtra and Speciale very longly used there. In the late 1920s a GBD with a metal filter system was introduced under the name Extra Dry. Also from Paris came another important new feature: the introduction of the inserted metal plate with the GBD initials on the stems. That insert added a further "touch of class" to the pipes and in London it was attached immediately.
Having said that, hallmarked GBD's from the 1920's pop up infrequently, but I can't recall seeing one of those with a metal rondel,but rather a stamped rondell like this one.
http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-unsmoked-pipe-1920s-gbd-xtra-french-hallmarked-billiard-w-box-and-sleeve/

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Got this 70s GBD Bronze Velvet with an acrylic freeze dried process stem. Never heard of such a thing. The seller info is most interesting. Paid $81 and happy to have it
gbd-bronze-velvet-1-600x449.jpg

You are bidding on a lightly and carefully formerly enjoyed condition , 1970's production, "GBD" "Bronze Velvet" "Zulu" shaped pipe, that is stamped with the shape number 2871.
This was a very high grade GBD pipe at the time that it was produced around 1976. Thirty years ago, this series of pipes sold for $100.00 USD - That's over $400.00 in today's inflation adjusted dollars!
The swirled bronze acrylic stem was crafted using a freeze dried process and is truly unique in the pipe world to this exclusive series of pipes! This was my personal pipe. I can tell you that the GBD Bronze Velvet pipes perform like a dream and are among my personal favorites, regardless of cost! This series of pipes typically posses a mixed grain on their bowls, as GBD was looking for flawless wood in this series. The briar is comparable in its flawlessness to the Dunhill Root Briar series of pipes.
The overall balance feels perfect as does the hand feel. The draft is nice and easy. A pipe cleaner will effortlessly glide to the bottom of the bowl.
Here are the dimensions of this rare high grade English classic: The overall length is about 5.50". The bowl height is 1.75". The tobacco chamber is about 0.875" in diameter, and tapers down the bowl's 1.50" inner depth. Capacity is similar to that of a solid Group 4 size Dunhill pipe. The weight is 48 grams.
Edit: Fixed pix/Al

Reactions: rogers

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a great looking Bronze Velvet - those tend to fly under the radar, but they were a very high grade. That one looks in terrific shape.4
Does the stem have "Hand cut" on it? I don't really know if those acrylic stems were hand cut.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Thank you for putting the picture in there. Here is a link to an image of the underside of the shank. I don't know if it was hand cut. I can't make our exactly what it says, but you may have seen such markings before.Pipe is in excellent condition. If you scroll down, it is the picture with number/mark 2871. There is some writing there, that I cannot fully make out. You may have seen it before, and know what it says.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-GBD-Bronze-Velvet-Zulu-2871-Pipe-Pristine-COOPERSARK-NO-RESERVE-/231785202704?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=cXKDOjs7j%252FTAoLsSMsLRZcESlWg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I don't see anything that states "Hand Cut" so I guess not. I am intrigued by the seller's statement that: "The swirled bronze acrylic stem was crafted using a freeze dried process and is truly unique in the pipe world to this exclusive series of pipes!" this I have never heard of.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Question; when did GBD introduce the metal rondelle on their stems and was it on both English and French pipes ?
The metal rondell denotes the pipe to pre-Comoy merger. I remember reading that fact on this very forum. I am not sure what year the merger with Comoy happened but I am sure someone on here does.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, the demise of the metal rondel at the merger date is pretty well known and thought to be around 1981 by many people. But the date the metal rondel was started, not much is written about that date.

May 31, 2012
The City de Luxe content in this older catalog attracted me,...(beautiful showcards!)

but the price disattracted me...

RARE OPPENHEIMER PIPE CATALOG , 72 PAGES SOME COLOR LONDON 1938-39 ORIGINAL
...I wonder how much actual pipe content it has?

Looks like a lot of accessories,

although I am seriously tempted because I love anything pre-war British,

but would be highly disappointed if not many pipes were featured.
The same seller has a good grouping of old rare catalogs,

a 1910 Peterson catalog he had sold for $200 within a couple of days.
:puffy:

May 31, 2012
He does have some interesting pieces. I'd love to have 30 minutes with it in my hand, but too rich for my wallet as well.
Buroak has suggested a pretty neat strategy for obtaining these ultra-pricey catalogs,

having a "collectors pool" of enthused individuals contribute a portion toward the cost and then share the catalog via scanned pdf

or paper xerox...
...I think it's a great idea.
If we had ten interested members,

just think,

it'd only be $15 each!
The caretaker of the physical catalog is a different matter and I'm sure we could resolve that issue somehow,

but if sufficient interest is generated here and Buroak's idea may indeed become a possible reality,

I'd nominate you for being the Keeper of the Tomes.

:puffy:
I'm game if anyone else is!

:!:

Feb 6, 2016
Greetings all,new to the forum but not to pipes..seems like a great place for gabbing and info.

Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread but likely kill to birds with one pipe,I have had a beautiful GBD HISTORIC stubby billiard for over 25 years and can't find any info on it whatsoever.Lots on the pre-historics but nothing on the "historic"..It's a great quality pipe and smokes like a dream,VERY light for it's size and incredibly dense briar..almost a "ping" to to it when tapped with tamper.

ANY help at all on it's possible age ( I'm thinking 60's?) and history of this line would be greatly appreciated.

When I figure out how to upload photos I will include some of the pipe in question.
Cheers!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome acme. I've never seen a GBD stamped "Historic", can you post some pictures that show the stamping? I've not heard "pre-historic" used either - does it denote a pre-Cadogan pipe (brass rondell, "London, England" COM)?

Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for the welcome and reply,in the day the "pre-historics" were the thing to collect..VERY nice pipes indeed..note link - https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD , gives a bit of poop on the pre historics.

Please school me as to how one uploads pics on this site?..I seem to be not seeing an option anywhere aside from entering a URL or uploading to my gallery in my profile..but I've also uploaded an avatar that is not showing up on the page either.