PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's really interesting. Al, is that something that GBD collectors pay attention to?
Also, do you know if there were there some periods where they were made only in England, or have there always been two countries of manufacture for the line?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
According to "GBD The St. Claude Story" there were always two separate GBD organizations. In the early years of the twentieth century it was GBD Paris and GBD London. Later St Claude took over the Paris portion of the business. By the way the St. Claude factory supplied both with stummels which were then finished in by respective organizations.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I found these two old gents in the same antique store a week apart. An International and a Sablee Standard.
two%20gbds_zpsswnnlekl.jpg

gbd%20inter%2002_zps02ymdyaa.jpg

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I found this GBD Virgin Bulldog (17) (pre-1980) (Handcut Stem) that I really like and it lists for $155. Is that a decent price and a quality pipe? Apologies if this isn't the appropriate thread.
004-002-9717.jpg

Reactions: rogers

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I have one GBD Fifth Avenue, Made In France. The shape is a very rare one (to me, at least): a Saucer. It took me forever to find the correct description (not from a GBD shape chart, though). It has satin stain and I bought it new in the early 1980s. Still a great smoker, although not a go-to as I lean more heavily to Virginias and VaPers and this pipe is pretty much dedicated to English-style flakes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This interesting pair was posted as a BIN last night. Two, unsmoked Digby's, including a 9242. I passed at $259 (seller offered me $220). Thanks to member bonened for the heads-up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172031860948?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: rogers
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
All fine pipes and absolute keepers gents.

I recently purchased a GBD speciale from the Bay. Still on its way to me from over the big pond.

It was something of a puzzle first, but I did the research. Is says Paris France on the stummel ( no shape nr )

And especcially the mouthpiece is of interest; odd iron screw in tenon, amazing looking bit and a vaque GBD imprinted logo. Rumour has it that the Paris factory closed its gates 1952 and production was moved to St. Claude.

So the little canadian should be pre 1952 :)

Question; when did GBD introduce the metal rondelle on their stems and was it on both English and French pipes ?

Cheers to you all.