New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm not really all of that concerned about the future. When you get to be my age, you realize that you are living in your future. I'm also not really worried about whether folks will find good estate pipes. The thought about someone else holding and smoking my pipe after I'm dead never crosses my mind while smoking. It doesn't even really bother me right now, while I am thinking about it.
Funny how that works. I do worry about other things in the future, like whether my kids... my kids anything, ha ha. But smoking... the only thing about smoking and the future that worries me at all is whether or not the nursing home my kids stick me in will allow me to smoke. I don't know of anyone who has finished up to their last days in their own home. Unless of course I just wander off into the woods with my pipes...

Anyways, what were we talking about? Oh yeh... you were wanting my pipes when I am dead. puffy

My granddad fell over watching Judge Judy, at 90.. All I could think as we made the arrangements was, "wow, what a life?"... His funeral wasn't really sad. As you say, the end is a non smoking hell for most. Maybe we'll get lucky too.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Like many here, I like to browse eBay for estates just to see what is out there. I am particularly fond of the early 20th century Petersons, but darn if you can find a really pristine pipe, not just Peterson, that's well over 100 years old that is like-new that hasn't changed hands a dozen times or been reamed to black hole diameter proportions. I'm probably exaggerating but the point is, future second hand shop/estate buyers are going to have a turkey shoot when it comes to their particular pipes they want. I myself have close to 100 pipes, 80% of them not even smoked or seldom smoked. I'm not going to be buried with them like some you of selfish bahsstuds. I'm not saying that there aren't really great pipes with age on them, but the future will probably have a lot more. These days we actually take care of our pipes and don't just smoke them to oblivion. I'm generalizing of course. I know some of you don't give a hoot.... have your cake and eat it too... actually don't, it's carcinogenic but you get my drift?

Oh to be a future pipe smoker in 2121.
I honestly don't understand your attitude or reasoning in stockpiling so many unsmoked pipes. Personally I buy pipes to smoke, just as I buy knives to cut/chop up things in the kitchen. I buy things that are nice to look at, but always to be used. Never as an object of veneration, to be kept in a display case to be mooned over.
My 2 kids are anti-smoking, so none of my pipes and tobacco are earmarked for them or posterity. Future generation(s) of smokers can look after themselves?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I honestly don't understand your attitude or reasoning in stockpiling so many unsmoked pipes. Personally I buy pipes to smoke, just as I buy knives to cut/chop up things in the kitchen. I buy things that are nice to look at, but always to be used. Never as an object of veneration, to be kept in a display case to be mooned over.
My 2 kids are anti-smoking, so none of my pipes and tobacco are earmarked for them or posterity. Future generation(s) of smokers can look after themselves?

Yea but after about 10 pipes.. The rest is excess, but they just keep appearing.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Good point. I should mention I live in South Korea at the moment and I get all my new pipes shipped to my address in the USA. I only have about 20 or so pipes with me here, all have been smoked. It's just a matter of access to my new ones, and with enough time I will smoke them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are so many ways to enjoy pipe collecting and smoking. eBay offers a huge selection of estates and every now and then a truly spectacular pipe shows up for auction there. But, as has been said, most of the best stuff never goes to eBay, but is purchased through private transactions. And there are sometimes really nice pieces to be found at pipe shows.

I've bought pipes from eBay, from estate auctions, from online dealers, from shows, from carvers, and from private parties who contact me because they have something they think I might like.

What the future of the market will be is anyone's guess. Pipes could be a hot commodity or kindling. The value of "collectibles" changes, going from hero to zero, from what's hot to what's not.

While some folks think of pipes and tobaccos as an investment, I'm not one of them. For now, it's a pleasure, an area of interest, and an indulgence. I've made friends both here and abroad through our mutually shared interest and that's been an unexpected bonus. The rest of it is ultimately pretty ephemeral.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Probably. They'll have smoking devices linked through their implant that constantly, at your given time, mimics the taste of your favorite tobacco onto your taste buds. No need for all the caveman stuff.
Then they'll be missing the WHOLE POINT of smoking a pipe !
The "cave man stuff" is integral to the pleasure of piping

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy