PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
That’s better inventory than a brick and mortar pipe shop!

I’m so glad that I don’t have a wandering pallet. My job in cellaring is far simpler. I currently have 20 tubs of Granger and 7 pounds of Pegasus in Jars as I’m fairly certain I will never tire of these. I may now start accumulating some “treats” like Navy Flake, University Flake. I consider Flake tobaccos treats because of their price.

But you, Sir? Bravo!
I wish I could narrow down my selections to 2 or 3. It would make life so much easier.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I inventoried all of the "tinned" stuff, from 50 gram tins up to the 8 ounce cans. I got to the jarred/bulk stuff and decided to discontinue. What a pain in the ass it would be to separate them by blend, calculate the tare weight of the empty jar, scale each unit and do all of the associate math to find totals.
Bravo on the stash. Not sure I’ll go that high in quantity - but, who knows. I’m sitting on just over 20 lbs at the moment with only a few blends measuring in pounds.

I did want to mention, perhaps a nerd moment for the day, 8 oz Ball Mason jars with lids weigh 6.8 oz +\- .1oz; and 16 oz Ball/Mason jars weight 9.1 oz +\- .1 oz. They’re very consistent which one would expect from modern manufacturing. I share this as it might help with some of your blends in these size jars if you want to know what you’ve got.

I don’t mind the jars, but only use these two sizes. 8oz jars contain 2oz tobacco each and 16 oz jars contain 4oz each - and yes, I weigh each one when loading. Now, for the stored jars I can simply do a quick count and know what I’ve got. Perhaps it seems anal, but it works for me. I only jar bulk…or once I open a tin…seems like a waste of time to crack every tin and jar it…not to mention the chances of being scolded for ruining the best chances for the aging process ?.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Beautiful cellar, now you have enough to last you the rest of your life, unless you smoke it.

In addition to the stuff in the pics, I have an accumulation of baggies, stuff taken in trade and left over from jarring. I think I've only opened 2 tins this year and no jars. Just smoking down that pile of baggies. There's 3 or 4 medium flat rate boxes full of odds and ends not in the family photo, one of Lakeland baggies, one of retail pouches (Amphora, Condor, etc). I've literally been swimming in the stuff. I still do 1-2 bowls per weeknight and 2-4 per weekend day, on average.

When you said your cellar was broad you weren't kidding. But, are you sure you have enough??

At the above mentioned rate of consumption, I believe i have about 25 years covered. I'm sure thing s will creep in here and there as I go along. Now that the "heavy lifting" is done, I can just have fun with it.

1635291678830.jpeg