PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
The Euro is down to $1.07 again. It is the perfect time if you have been considering a purchase from a Euro denominated site.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I took advantage of the exchange rate last week and loaded up at James Fox. It's probably a good time to go to Europe but this time of year the weather tends to be very grey.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well if you are getting a northern briar from Ian then you will be paying GBP not euro.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Well if you are getting a northern briar from Ian then you will be paying GBP not euro."
You are correct and that is more like $1.50 with a recent down-trend. I wish it were Euros, but then again, it would just be more Euros.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Anyone got a favorite source for the Gawith plugs, e.g. St James or BBF plug? Or Germains Brown Flake?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I can see the Euro going to parity quite easily if not lower ... keep an eye on the FED's move in December.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"... keep an eye on the FED's move in December"
What are you thinking? My opinion, no rate hikes as long as Obama is in office.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's what I thought for quite awhile but with the October jobs report beating expectations it's a lot more likely now.
If / when they raise the rate it will be very small, about 0.25%, which is already factored into the markets and Dollar Index.
The rise of the dollar often precedes a rate increase because the money is in futures.
Meanwhile, the ECB is still tangling with NIRP and QE ... we are definitely living in "interesting" times!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe we should get a bulk buy going on UK tobaccos (plugs) and Motzek.
Arno, the answer is you should just come here to hang out and smoke a lot of tobacco at a reduced rate. You can probably trade Stroopwaffeln for dollars at a better exchange rate.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The notion of "qualitative easing" makes me laugh. A whole lot of fiat $$$ out of thin air. The cool thing is that the whole world is so screwed-up that the dollar remains as "the" reserve currency. We are the best of the worst. Crazy ("interesting") times to be sure.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Maybe we should get a bulk buy going on UK tobaccos (plugs) and Motzek.
Ideal time for Motzek indeed! For UK plugs not so much.. The Pound is still high, 1 Pound is 1.51 Dollar right now..
Arno, the answer is you should just come here to hang out and smoke a lot of tobacco at a reduced rate. You can probably trade Stroopwaffeln for dollars at a better exchange rate.
I experienced American taxes before when a colleague of mine went tobacco shopping in Chicago, so no thnx :wink:

Plus the costs of the trip! No, this cheapskate Dutchman rather takes his chances at a higher price at 4noggins :mrgreen: However, importing stroopwafels... :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I experienced American taxes before when a colleague of mine went tobacco shopping in Chicago, so no thnx
Yugh! Especially in Chicago, which is sort of bad for taxes (and corruption, and murder, etc). It has been a political machine town for over a century and it's always going broke, so taxes are always going up! I would rank it up there with California for places with insane tax burdens.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I would be interested in a group buy from Motzek for some Strang. I was on the site last night. Price is good but for the amount that I would be buying the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.
Any of their other tobaccos good?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I'd be interested in a Strang group buy. I'd like to try it, but agree with yazamitaz that shipping is too high at the amounts I'm looking to buy.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Evening is interesting,lemon & lat.
I have some M70,which I have yet to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.